Page 1644 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 64411441544159416341642164316441645164616541694174421442644 ... LastLast
Results 32,861 to 32,880 of 67399
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    DCMDVA RUN to the store! Run run run, clog the aisles and panic!

That way we'll only get a dusting.
    French Toast Alert Level - HIGH!!!!!

For whatever reason, Oreos are our go to snow ❄️ in snack.

we've got two pounds of splendid thick cut bacon in the fridge, but alas, we are evidently too far north to get any snow this time around...i'll have to come up with another excuse, like Bacon Wednesday or something...

No snow here, but I am about to take a pan of brownies out of the oven. Just 'cause.

Welp, I came out of the "college sports increasingly gross me out and I don't intend to watch them very much for the foreseeable future" closet over on the main board. Interested to see if others have anything to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Welp, I came out of the "college sports increasingly gross me out and I don't intend to watch them very much for the foreseeable future" closet over on the main board. Interested to see if others have anything to say about it.
    I'm sure you're not alone. I know my own enthusiasm was waned...not least because it's kind of unseemly to be plowing ahead with college sports in the middle of a serious pandemic.

low of -2F this evening, brrrrr.

I was unhappy about the 36F we are getting this evening...

Mom brag time. Paddies got straight A+s this semester. I didn't even think that was possible in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Mom brag time. Paddies got straight A+s this semester. I didn't even think that was possible in college.
    Does this call for a new nickname?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I dunno, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I dunno, maybe?
    Paaaaadies?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Paaaaadies?
    Patatatatatdies?

I can confirm that it is not possible.

“To those of you who are graduating this afternoon with high honors, awards and distinctions, I say, 'Well done.' And as I like to tell the C students: You too, can be president."

— G.W. Bush

Strawberry Frosted...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “To those of you who are graduating this afternoon with high honors, awards and distinctions, I say, 'Well done.' And as I like to tell the C students: You too, can be president."

— G.W. Bush
    Not anymore. C students can't even get interviews for jobs (unless Dad owns the company.)

Not anymore. C students can't even get interviews for jobs (unless Dad owns the company.)
    GHWB was president, too. Is that the same thing or no?

I didn't think there were any C students these days, grade inflation is pretty crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I didn't think there were any C students these days, grade inflation is pretty crazy...
    Given that I have college aged children - it's actually something that I have looked into. Grade inflation exists everywhere, but it is more prominent at highly selective schools. In other words, overall GPAs are higher at highly selective schools. Lest you think that's because the highly selective schools get all the best students, the phenomenon persists even when adjusted for high school grades/SAT scores of the student bodies. "The hard part of Harvard is getting in" is true. So what? In today's world of computer screening resumes, you can't get into the interview room if your GPA is under 3.0 (and yeah, you gotta put your GPA on your resume nowadays, if you are just entering the workforce). Highly selective schools put their thumbs on the scales for their students. A C is a failing grade now. College is still worth the money in terms of lifetime earnings, as long as you pull at least a 3.0 GPA. If you don't, not as much. The good news is that getting into graduate or professional schools is not as undergrad institution dependent as it used to be. I don't know about getting a job. Paddies wants to work for 2-3 years then go to a "Top Business School". He has one B at UVM so far, so a perfect 4.0 isn't possible, but he wants to graduate with at least a 3.9. He figured out that he's got it as long as he gets no more than one A- in his final semester. I told him, "Why not just get straight A+s again?"

The only reason Paddies is not at a highly selective undergraduate institution is because he has a fairly severe anxiety disorder that went undiagnosed in high school. This disorder had an extreme negative affect on his high school grades. He started as a freshman at Michigan State which turned out to be a huge mistake, but, the one positive that we can take from that lost semester is that it forced him to realize that he had a problem. And once he got a diagnosis, we were able to get him treatment that worked. UVM has been the perfect place for him though and we love the school as a result. He will graduate with a 3.9 and some truly stellar recommendations. It was the perfect place for T-Bone too, for 2 years. Turns out it's a lucky thing that T-Bone transferred though as UVM has announced they are cutting their Classics major (among others) effective next year.