Page 11 of 87 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Barrett was the leading scorer for the Knicks in their win over the Pacers. His 25 points included going 4-5 from three in 42 minutes of play. Maybe he read y'alls posts.
    Maybe we should post on his shooting more often. I was worried that he was going to cross the Jack White Line...but he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I didn't get to watch but RJ went 4-5 from three and 8-15 overall for 25 points in 42 minutes tonight. Knicks beat the Pacers 106-102. Cassius was DNP-CD. Austin Rivers got 15 in 17 minutes off the bench. One game does not make a season but nice to see RJ hitting some threes after his slow start from three this season.
    RJ has had a fairly bi-polar season so far: thru 6 games he has had 3 quite terrible shooting performances, and 3 quite good shooting performances, although 2 of those were very good and one was merely good. The other facets of his game seem to be relatively consistent. Knicks fans gotta be happy with their team though, at 3-3 that's a huge improvement over where they were last year.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    Good game for Zion in Pelicans win. 7-10 from the line. Ingram with 31 points.
    BI looking like an All-Star so far, and it's too early to have numbers mean too much, but in general he's improved some on his Most Improved Player season from last year. Despite 1 very poor night shooting, Zion also appears to have improved from last year. His "put them in the blender" spin move is pretty much unstoppable, as is his jump-stop knife thru 2 defenders for the bucket. Finally, from Duke South, after a blistering 1st game, JJ hasn't been very productive since, although respect for his jumper keeps driving lanes open i s'pose. Like NYK fans, NOLA fans have to be pretty happy withe overall improvement from the Pels. Adding Steven Adams and Bledsoe (and letting Jah and Frank go) have paid dividends so far, with better defense and better ball movement. Also, the coach.

Finally, I was hoping that Harry Giles would be more of a player for the Blazers, but he hardly gets off the bench, much like Jabari. Seems like Jabari's very public dismissal of playing defense has not helped him very much (but probably less important than his actual, on the court inability to play defense).
    Finally, finally, has Frank Jackson been picked up by anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    RJ has had a fairly bi-polar season so far: thru 6 games he has had 3 quite terrible shooting performances, and 3 quite good shooting performances, although 2 of those were very good and one was merely good. The other facets of his game seem to be relatively consistent. Knicks fans gotta be happy with their team though, at 3-3 that's a huge improvement over where they were last year.

BI looking like an All-Star so far, and it's too early to have numbers mean too much, but in general he's improved some on his Most Improved Player season from last year. Despite 1 very poor night shooting, Zion also appears to have improved from last year. His "put them in the blender" spin move is pretty much unstoppable, as is his jump-stop knife thru 2 defenders for the bucket. Finally, from Duke South, after a blistering 1st game, JJ hasn't been very productive since, although respect for his jumper keeps driving lanes open i s'pose. Like NYK fans, NOLA fans have to be pretty happy withe overall improvement from the Pels. Adding Steven Adams and Bledsoe (and letting Jah and Frank go) have paid dividends so far, with better defense and better ball movement. Also, the coach.

Finally, I was hoping that Harry Giles would be more of a player for the Blazers, but he hardly gets off the bench, much like Jabari. Seems like Jabari's very public dismissal of playing defense has not helped him very much (but probably less important than his actual, on the court inability to play defense).
    I haven't watched the Pels yet this year, but I do like the pairing of Adams and Zion in theory. They provide a wide spectrum of physicality and ability. From A to Z.
    Last edited by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15; 01-03-2021 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Missed opportunity for "Adams to Zion" reference.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    For $6.5 million, I’d be the best bench sitter the world has ever seen. Rain or shine, I would be out there sitting to the best of my ability. Nothing would keep me from it. Dedicated to my craft.
    Made me laugh. 👍🏻

Times are tough right now, though. If I were to pay you $3.25 million (half price) for sitting on a bench, would you still do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Made me laugh. 👍🏻

Times are tough right now, though. If I were to pay you $3.25 million (half price) for sitting on a bench, would you still do it?
    To paraphrase the legendary Dr. Bonk, which bench?

Overall, Barrett isn't playing demonstrably better than last season although he is playing more minutes and scoring 17 per game. He's had two good 3-point shooting games but has been brick city the other games. What I find interesting for RJ is that he's hitting almost 80% of his free throw attempts. That's huge. RJ is built to get to the rim and draw contact. Even if he ends the year in the low 30% range from behind the arc on the year, a big jump from the FT line is huge for his future in the NBA.

Physical Superlatives: Brandon and Zion

With Brandon Ingram, age 23, you have an incredible talent with the most "spidery" imaginable build. Even more so, it appears, than Cam Reddish. And the dude can play!

With Zion Williamson, age 20, you have an incredible talent with the most muscular physique ever to play basketball at such a high level of performance. And he can jump out of the gym.

These guys -- Dukies both -- are on the same team. I'm gonna eat a lot of popcorn this year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    With Brandon Ingram, age 23, you have an incredible talent with the most "spidery" imaginable build. Even more so, it appears, than Cam Reddish. And the dude can play!

With Zion Williamson, age 20, you have an incredible talent with the most muscular physique ever to play basketball at such a high level of performance. And he can jump out of the gym.

These guys -- Dukies both -- are on the same team. I'm gonna eat a lot of popcorn this year.
    Love both of those guys. And I was fortunate enough to be sitting fairly close to the court (though there’s hardly a bad seat in CIS) for each of their debuts in Cameron. It didn’t take a genius, which I am very far from being, to see right away that they were both going to be great — especially Zion, of course.

Frank signed a 2-way contract with the Pistons about a week ago. He has not yet appeared in a game for them. The league is letting 2-way players play a lot more NBA games this year than in the past and it has boosted their salaries pretty significantly (it sued to be tough for 2-way players to earn more than about $250k).

Rather than being limited to spending 45 days with their NBA teams, two-way players will be eligible to be active for up to 50 of their team's 72 NBA games. And instead of having their salaries by how many days they spend in the NBA, they'll receive flat salaries of $449,155
    It is a big step down from the $1.5 mil he made with the Pels last season, but when you add that $450k to the $250k he made from OKC when they cut him (his contact had a $250k guarantee), he is making $700k this year, which is almost certainly better than he would have done had he gone overseas.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Tatum with the game winning buzzer-beater... again.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30645908

He just destroys poor Blake Griffin on this play. Blake had no hope of staying in front of him.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Tatum with the game winning buzzer-beater... again.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30645908

He just destroys poor Blake Griffin on this play. Blake had no hope of staying in front of him.
    bummer that the same couldn't be said for Kyrie on his (possible) game-winner attempt. i seem to remember KI saying something about game-winners and who should take them...

Also, Tre Jones with a career high 9 points ( ) in a blowout loss, and his brother had his second strong performance since becoming the starter for MEM.
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 01-03-2021 at 09:16 PM.

bummer that the same couldn't be said for Kyrie on his (possible) game-winner attempt. i seem to remember KI saying something about game-winners and who should take them...
    I could have made some serious money had I been able to place a bet on how long it would take someone here to mention that after Kyrie and KD both missed game-winning shot attempts. I figured less than 2 hours, and I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I could have made some serious money had I been able to place a bet on how long it would take someone here to mention that after Kyrie and KD both missed game-winning shot attempts. I figured less than 2 hours, and I was right.
    i dunno, that's a pretty easy bet to take, i don't think a whole lotta money woulda been there for the taking. After all, we DBR'ers are a predictable lot...

i dunno, that's a pretty easy bet to take, i don't think a whole lotta money woulda been there for the taking. After all, we DBR'ers are a predictable lot...
    True.

Criticize him when he's wrong, but praise him when he's done right.

With Durant out (Covid), Kyrie tonight is showing leadership in leading the Nets to a surprise spanking of the Jazz. (Utah was about a 4-pt favorite at tip). He's done it with not just his scoring but energetic defense (3 steals) and efficient passing (5 assists to 2 turnovers) for a team high +22 so far.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401267262

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

With Durant out (Covid), Kyrie tonight is showing leadership in leading the Nets to a surprise spanking of the Jazz. (Utah was about a 4-pt favorite at tip). He's done it with not just his scoring but energetic defense (3 steals) and efficient passing (5 assists to 2 turnovers) for a team high +22 so far.

29 points on 19 shots, and he didn’t get to take any free throws. Must be nice to get to flail your way into 12-15 free throws per night like Harden and Young. Kyrie could have gone for 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    29 points on 19 shots, and he didn’t get to take any free throws. Must be nice to get to flail your way into 12-15 free throws per night like Harden and Young. Kyrie could have gone for 40.
    I think free throws are by far the worst part of the sport. They absolutely kill the flow of the game and are more boring to watch than a high school graduation ceremony with 1,500 students who get called to the stage one-by-one.

The solution? I have no clue. I just know that games with lots of FTs — which most games seem to be these days — are virtually unwatchable.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I think free throws are by far the worst part of the sport. They absolutely kill the flow of the game and are more boring to watch than a high school graduation ceremony with 1,500 students who get called to the stage one-by-one.

The solution? I have no clue. I just know that games with lots of FTs — which most games seem to be these days — are virtually unwatchable.
    Here's an idea: since they shoot, call them 'free shoots'. Or, if they insist on calling them free throws, allow the fouled player to throw the ball at the head of the player that fouled.

Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Here's an idea: since they shoot, call them 'free shoots'. Or, if they insist on calling them free throws, allow the fouled player to throw the ball at the head of the player that fouled.

Problem solved.
    Sounds like a winner! 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

Only turning the ball over 2 times is also kinduvamazing considering how much he has the ball in his hands. Great game from Kyrie.

I looked at other stats and saw: (thru 7 games) Wendell Carter has improved marginally on last year's numbers, Gary Trent Jr has kept it up since his super-hot "bubble" performance from last year, Luke Kennard's counting stats have dropped mostly due to less playing time, but his 3FG% is up slightly but mixed overall, Kyrie's efficiency numbers are up a little bit, and Tyus Jones has seen a dip in his shooting efficiency, but his ballhandling continues to be strong.