Page 628 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 12852857861862662762862963063867872811281628 ... LastLast
Results 12,541 to 12,560 of 67390
    Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your nephew. What did he run? How did he break his foot?
    Thanks. He runs the mile. It just broke - none of the usual dropping something on it or anything. Apparently you can just stretch it wrong and, if it is fatigued, a metatarsal will break. He'll look great in a tux for prom in two weeks with the lovely boot on his foot. (I don't think he will have it off by then.)

He was probably trying to keep up with his Uncle Wayne, who went to get stitches and a sling from a bicycle accident about the same time. Unlucky week in our family.

Ok, soooooo... 2 fire alarms in 3 days. Are you KIDDING me? Sunday was in the late afternoon- someone (surprise surprise) burned something in their kitchen. Fans, people! Open a window! I cannot explain to you how many fire alarms we've had due to people who burn stuff in their kitchen (and none of them was me!). Sheesh... Last night was around 10:30- they were smoking. I think the genius had must have had about 27 people all smoking at once in his apartment. Both brain surgeons (no offense to brain surgeons) immediately identified themselves to the fire dept. upon arrival.

Not only is it the usual hassle, it's loud & screechy (no sleeping through this- it'd wake the dead and I seriously am afraid Chloe's ears will bleed one of these times) and the cat goes absolutely bonkers and hides, usually under a bed. It's such a joy to literally have to drag a cat that's scared witless out from under a bed... I'm so afraid I'm going to hurt her! Then she clings to me shaking and no joke, dives into her case (which she normally shuns like it'll kill her). Then I grab my purse, keys, & the cat in her case and we traipse downstairs and sit outside for about 15 minutes, during which time she sits and shakes and shakes and shakes and never tries to escape (shows how scared she really is!). Once we're allowed back in, I usually wait until most other people & their pets are in so Chloe doesn't freak out further.

But seriously, how hard is it to OPEN A WINDOW? I joked w/ the LAFD that they must be getting tired of coming to my complex. He said they know it's someone cooking (well except for the smokers). I think I'm going to give the LAFD cookies next time. There *are* some hotties (ok so there is something of an upside).
    Sorry about the fire alarm hassles. Cookies sound like the best idea - might as well turn a negative into a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Thanks. He runs the mile. It just broke - none of the usual dropping something on it or anything. Apparently you can just stretch it wrong and, if it is fatigued, a metatarsal will break. He'll look great in a tux for prom in two weeks with the lovely boot on his foot. (I don't think he will have it off by then.)

He was probably trying to keep up with his Uncle Wayne, who went to get stitches and a sling from a bicycle accident about the same time. Unlucky week in our family.
    So essentially a stress fracture or something thereabout? That sucks.

Nephew & uncle are not having a good week, that's for sure.

So essentially a stress fracture or something thereabout? That sucks.

Nephew & uncle are not having a good week, that's for sure.
    It is an actual break - not "just" a stress fracture. It sent his mother, the physical therapist, searching the literature/net as she couldn't figure out how it broke without something dropping on it. Apparently, they were doing some toe raises at the end of practice that must have caused it. Of course, it hurt but he tried to run at the meet two days later and couldn't walk off the track on his own. At least he has enough points, or whatever they count, that he should get his letter. (I like to brag about my nieces and nephews. They are great!)

It is an actual break - not "just" a stress fracture. It sent his mother, the physical therapist, searching the literature/net as she couldn't figure out how it broke without something dropping on it. Apparently, they were doing some toe raises at the end of practice that must have caused it. Of course, it hurt but he tried to run at the meet two days later and couldn't walk off the track on his own. At least he has enough points, or whatever they count, that he should get his letter. (I like to brag about my nieces and nephews. They are great!)
    Well definitely congrats to him on the letter! I'll have to remember not to do toe raises.

(And I didn't mean to belittle stress fractures- they really SUCK and can take a lot longer to heal than a clean break. Yeah, experience...)

Well definitely congrats to him on the letter! I'll have to remember not to do toe raises.

(And I didn't mean to belittle stress fractures- they really SUCK and can take a lot longer to heal than a clean break. Yeah, experience...)
    I didn't think you were - I did the quotes because I'm not sure there is much a difference between a non-compound break and a stress fracture. They both hurt and are no fun.

Now Wayne came home from his visit to the Emergency Department with stitches and a "subtle" break. He wasn't sure what a subtle break was except it meant 7-10 days in a sling and not a cast.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Interesting, its cooled off in Boston
    It has cooled off here, too...

Ouchie!! Hope all the broken bones heal quickly... Here's an ugly-sounding injury for you: a guy at work was trying to fix up a flagstone path and was trying to move one of the stones. He said he wasn't tugging all that hard, but then he heard a sound "like mashing your fist into a bowl of potato chips" and turns out the tendon connecting the bicep to the forearm tore right off and the muscle went into his upper arm like a windowshade.

I know a couple fat old men like me who have torn their Achilles tendons but this is the first I've heard of a bicep tear doing yardwork.

I hate when that happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Ouchie!! Hope all the broken bones heal quickly... Here's an ugly-sounding injury for you: a guy at work was trying to fix up a flagstone path and was trying to move one of the stones. He said he wasn't tugging all that hard, but then he heard a sound "like mashing your fist into a bowl of potato chips" and turns out the tendon connecting the bicep to the forearm tore right off and the muscle went into his upper arm like a windowshade.

I know a couple fat old men like me who have torn their Achilles tendons but this is the first I've heard of a bicep tear doing yardwork.

I have heard about a bicep tear - never known anyone who had it happen. It makes me cringe just thinking about it.

I have heard about a bicep tear - never known anyone who had it happen. It makes me cringe just thinking about it.
    I tore the short end of the bicep on my right arm last May hitting a softball. We discussed it here. I think I posted pictures of my entire right bicep being black and blue. Of course, last week I posted pics on crazietalk.net http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/v...php?f=3&t=165 about my ankle getting hit by a batted ball. Here is what I said last August in EJ's "bleeding injury" thread
    I can't remember my last externally bleeding injury, but back in April when I tore the short head bicep tendon in my right arm playing softball, http://www.jacobrozbruchmd.com/nycor...eon/biceps.htm my right bicep turned red and purple two days later, from top to bottom and side to side, for about 3 weeks. Then it all disappeared very quickly. My doctor told me the injury had a 4 week recovery time, but I was playing again in only 3 weeks, and have had no lingering affects. Then a shortstop hit me in the right butt cheek as I was going back to first base after he caught a line drive. That too, left a mark, but I only showed it to my wife.
    The short end bicep injury they don't fix. The long end they surgically repair. It heals (well, it recovers and you compensate, but it never reattaches itself) in 3 to 4 weeks and I was playing again. I rarely notice any affect, although I was very careful when lifting things with my right arm - I didn't carry a milk jug for quite a while, but now it's fine.

DiK, now you know someone who has had it!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I tore the short end of the bicep on my right arm last May hitting a softball. We discussed it here. I think I posted pictures of my entire right bicep being black and blue. Of course, last week I posted pics on crazietalk.net http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/v...php?f=3&t=165 about my ankle getting hit by a batted ball. Here is what I said last August in EJ's "bleeding injury" thread The short end bicep injury they don't fix. The long end they surgically repair. It heals (well, it recovers and you compensate, but it never reattaches itself) in 3 to 4 weeks and I was playing again. I rarely notice any affect, although I was very careful when lifting things with my right arm - I didn't carry a milk jug for quite a while, but now it's fine.

And I should have remembered it - sorry for the memory loss.

Today's DBR banner ad: "Choose Your Goddess"

oh my, what do I want to say about that one? So many ways we could go...

don't get banned... walk away... just walk away...

<phew>

that was close...

And I should have remembered it - sorry for the memory loss.
    Don't worry about it. I don't want you popping a vessel over it

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I tore the short end of the bicep on my right arm last May hitting a softball. We discussed it here. I think I posted pictures of my entire right bicep being black and blue. Of course, last week I posted pics on crazietalk.net http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/v...php?f=3&t=165 about my ankle getting hit by a batted ball. Here is what I said last August in EJ's "bleeding injury" thread The short end bicep injury they don't fix. The long end they surgically repair. It heals (well, it recovers and you compensate, but it never reattaches itself) in 3 to 4 weeks and I was playing again. I rarely notice any affect, although I was very careful when lifting things with my right arm - I didn't carry a milk jug for quite a while, but now it's fine.

I don't recall however if you mentioned whether you had any problems performing your 12 ounces curls with your left hand/arm when your right bicep was injured.

If you did not, I guess that begs the amphibious comment/question...

More crazietalk...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I don't recall however if you mentioned whether you had any problems performing your 12 ounces curls with your left hand/arm when your right bicep was injured.

If you did not, I guess that begs the amphibious comment/question...

More crazietalk...
    Actually, the 12 oz. curls were the only rehab and strengthening exercises that I did

9F 9F 9F

Time to up the weight to an honest 16 oz... Just leave those 40 oz. alone!!

Time to up the weight to an honest 16 oz... Just leave those 40 oz. alone!!

Ozzie has always been a low weight/high rep kinda guy...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ozzie has always been a low weight/high rep kinda guy...
    Building endurance, not strength!

9F 9F 9F

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Posting for the fun of it!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Yep, that was fun.