Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streaming...

Streaming...

I've heard a lot of reports of people having trouble streaming, and lots without trouble.

I had no trouble. I use a 1st gen Apple TV thingie, with a wired connection to our modem/router, to a modest 30 Mb Comcast connection.

Other results? Can we find any trends?

-jk

WatchESPN app on iPad and iPad/Chromecast... no issues pretty much ever. I essentially stream all my sports using Network apps (ESPN, Fox, DirecTv, NFL network, NFL Sunday ticket) and I find ESPN to be the most stable by some margin.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I've heard a lot of reports of people having trouble streaming, and lots without trouble.

I had no trouble. I use a 1st gen Apple TV thingie, with a wired connection to our modem/router, to a modest 30 Mb Comcast connection.

Other results? Can we find any trends?

-jk
    I watched it on my Dell laptop, through my run-of-the-mill Comcast router and connection, with no trouble at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I watched it on my Dell laptop, through my run-of-the-mill Comcast router and connection, with no trouble at all.
    Wifi or wired?

-jk

Watch on a Surface Pro 4 Wireless via Comcast. Only trouble is when some notification interrupts the video feed without disturbing the audio feed. Then you get audio of action before you see it on video. Have to exit the feed and go back in to get audio and video to synch.

I watch on my laptop through xfinity high speed internet on wifi. I Connect my laptop to my widescreen with an hdmi cable. Great picture. At the beginning I do get a buffering delay a couple of times.

Amazon fire stick, 2nd gen, WatchESPN app wireless to a 100mb Spectrum connection.
    I had a couple times where it kicked into low quality and once where I totally lost the stream.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I gave up on watching last night's game at home, it locked up constantly. Today, I watched the football game through DirecTV's app on my tablet at work, and worked fine for the whole game. I would have preferred last night worked better than today in hindsight.

(PS, cable feed at home and at work, same company, speed should be no different.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

100 mb Spectrum connection in Cary, NC. Wired to PC. Completely lost the signal twice. Every 15-30 seconds the streaming froze for about 5 seconds. Very often the resolution became very poor during the game.

Apple TV 4th gen. WiFi with a netgear nighthawk R7000. Cox internet at 100 Mbps. Flawless all the time. I have no cable tv or satellite in my house. I stream 100% of what I watch. I never have issues.

Cox recently upped my speed to 100 Mbps from 50. I also had no issues when I was running with 50.

Quote Originally Posted by bbosbbos View Post
    100 mb Spectrum connection in Cary, NC. Wired to PC. Completely lost the signal twice. Every 15-30 seconds the streaming froze for about 5 seconds. Very often the resolution became very poor during the game.
    What vintage pc, and were you running anything else on your pc at the time?

-jk

Apple TV, 3rd generation. Suddenlink 50 Mbps via WiFi. Older router (D-Link DIR 615) and modem (Arris CM820). Nary a blip -- flawless video using WatchESPN app (knocks on wood).

I usually stream on an 4th-gen Apple TV, but sometimes I do simultaneous streams off of a single MacBook Pro.

I'm in NYC and usually get around 55-60 Mbps down with Verizon FiOS. No issues here.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    I usually stream on an 4th-gen Apple TV, but sometimes I do simultaneous streams off of a single MacBook Pro.

I'm in NYC and usually get around 55-60 Mbps down with Verizon FiOS. No issues here.
    wired or wifi?

And, everyone, if you're wifi: are you in a single-family-home neighborhood, or in a higher density arrangement (townhouse/apartment)? And are you competing with others in your home for that wifi? Wifi has so many variables; I know a family with several kids - each streaming on multiple devices at the same time...

-jk

Streaming was better last night than for the earlier exhibition. I got a busy signal every few minutes that lasted between five and 30 seconds. Twice it said the connection was lost, so I rebooted Firefox (and once may have restarted my computer). I made sure I only had one window open on Firefox and almost no other applications running on my machine (except all the security and other junk I can't control).

I am watching on my small Dell laptop via my in-house cat 5 cable connected to an Edge router which connects to my line-of-sight ISP, who (I think) attaches to a Comcast trunk.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

wired or wifi?

And, everyone, if you're wifi: are you in a single-family-home neighborhood, or in a higher density arrangement (townhouse/apartment)? And are you competing with others in your home for that wifi? Wifi has so many variables; I know a family with several kids - each streaming on multiple devices at the same time...

-jk
    I’m in a subdivision basically with about 100 homes. While I was streaming the game, my wife was watching Netflix in 4K at the same time. No issues. My internet is always 100 Mbps. Any hour or day of the week. It’s constant. Doesn’t matter when I run a Speedtest. Which is very rare for a cable connection. So I can have a lot of streams going at once.

Seems to me that Apple devices have no issues.
    My father streams the games on a 6 mbps wifi cable connection in rural Ohio. With an Apple TV 4th gen and sometimes 3rd gen. He never has issues and it comes in crystal clear.
    Last edited by LasVegas; 11-11-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Streaming was better last night than for the earlier exhibition. I got a busy signal every few minutes that lasted between five and 30 seconds. Twice it said the connection was lost, so I rebooted Firefox (and once may have restarted my computer). I made sure I only had one window open on Firefox and almost no other applications running on my machine (except all the security and other junk I can't control).

I am watching on my small Dell laptop via my in-house cat 5 cable connected to an Edge router which connects to my line-of-sight ISP, who (I think) attaches to a Comcast trunk.
    Do you stream other live things often? If so, how do they perform?

One issue with live streaming is they can't compress anywhere near as much with live content as they can with pre-recorded content - why ads play better during games; a dip affects the live much more.

Another issue is pretty much all endpoints (i.e., your home) share the last mile (or three) with a lot of other homes. So evening streaming might be shakier than afternoon streaming. If you've used most hotel wifi, you'll understand - breakfast time and after dinner are often unusable for streaming...

-jk

wired or wifi?

-jk
    WiFi. I'm in downtown Manhattan in a 39-story apartment building, so about as dense as you can get in terms of population. I also have two roommates on our home network.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I was able to stream fairly well last night when I wanted to check replays. Fortunately, Cameron’s WiFi is much better than Wallace Wade.

ESPN3 with WIFI on a PS4 was crystal clear with no issues
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking