Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    IMDB has the episode at 9/10 which would make it a top tier GoT episode for comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    IMDB has the episode at 9/10 which would make it a top tier GoT episode for comparisons
    I don't know about that but I thought it did what it needed to do. I'll argue that Game of Thrones did not become the 'must watch' cultural sensation that it was until the Red Wedding episode but it really started to build momentum at the beginning of Season 2...or, more precisely, the moment Ned Stark's head hit the ground at the end of Season 1.

All that is to say, I'll give HoD a long runway to make it's case before passing too much judgement.

We enjoyed the first episode though. I thought the opening w/ the dragon flying over Kings Landing was brilliant --- the last time we saw that, a dragon laid it to waste!

Finally got around to watching Episode 1. Wasn't blown away as I understand the need to introduce characters, but I found it enjoyable nonetheless. I wonder what the over/under is on how many episodes the King (sorry, don't remember/know anyone's names yet) makes it. I suspect it shant be long.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Finally got around to watching Episode 1. Wasn't blown away as I understand the need to introduce characters, but I found it enjoyable nonetheless. I wonder what the over/under is on how many episodes the King (sorry, don't remember/know anyone's names yet) makes it. I suspect it shant be long.
    They blast ahead in timeline a decent amount because I know the princess isn’t a child anymore sometime this season. She gets played by a different actress at some point.

It is worth noting that the major plot points of the first episode were:

1- The sister of the old king should not be monarch because she is a female
    2- The daughter of the current king should not be monarch because she is a female
    3- The hand of the king told his barely teenaged daughter to go sleep with the 50+ year old king to comfort him
    4- The queen was essentially tortured to death so they could maybe get a male heir

I know there was other stuff going on but that accounts for a heck of a lot of what we saw.

Now, I am not saying that they should sugar coat the way females have long been treated in a feudal society similar to the one in the GOT universe, but did we really need to come out of the gate with so much misogyny ? I suppose it will probably be at least redeemed by the daughter actually becoming Queen and being a strong ruler (and I suspect her best friend will be a strategic consort to the king) but I would have preferred a slightly different tact for the first episode.

That said, I found it fun to be back in Westeros and I see several fun storylines developing. I like the show... just wish it was a little more fair to its women.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Anyone else have trouble seeing Prince Daemon Targaryen as anything other than Prince Philip (from The Crown) with a wig? It's going to take a bit of an adjustment for me.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Anyone else have trouble seeing Prince Daemon Targaryen as anything other than Prince Philip (from The Crown) with a wig? It's going to take a bit of an adjustment for me.
    No, at least not until you mentioned it. Hopefully I will not in episode two. I do keep wondering where his red fez went.

I’m having trouble seeing him as something other than Milo from Morbius.

And for those interested, yes, Morbius is really that bad.

He definitely looks a very particular way.

Not to derail this thread but...

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I’m having trouble seeing him as something other than Milo from Morbius.

And for those interested, yes, Morbius is really that bad.
    Actually, the character's real name is Lucien, but everyone calls him Milo for reasons that are never explained.

Words can barely describe how awful Morbius is: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2022/0...s-morbius.html

Lazy, predictable, with little character development or thoughtful storytelling, Morbius is one of the worst comic book movies made in recent years. It seems to only exist so it can set up future movies.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is worth noting that the major plot points of the first episode were:

1- The sister of the old king should not be monarch because she is a female
    2- The daughter of the current king should not be monarch because she is a female
    3- The hand of the king told his barely teenaged daughter to go sleep with the 50+ year old king to comfort him
    4- The queen was essentially tortured to death so they could maybe get a male heir

I know there was other stuff going on but that accounts for a heck of a lot of what we saw.

Now, I am not saying that they should sugar coat the way females have long been treated in a feudal society similar to the one in the GOT universe, but did we really need to come out of the gate with so much misogyny ? I suppose it will probably be at least redeemed by the daughter actually becoming Queen and being a strong ruler (and I suspect her best friend will be a strategic consort to the king) but I would have preferred a slightly different tact for the first episode.

That said, I found it fun to be back in Westeros and I see several fun storylines developing. I like the show... just wish it was a little more fair to its women.
    Eh, give it time to develop. Cersei, Sansa, Arya, Brienne, Daenerys were all subject to some pretty awful stuff but ultimately bent the Westeros universe to their will or exacted their revenge in delightful and violent ways. I actually think GRRM's investment in his female characters is one of the things that sets his world apart from other in the genre.

Also, I think you can delete 'a feudal' from your post and it would work juuuusssstttt fine, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Cersei, Sansa, Arya, Brienne, Daenerys were all subject to some pretty awful stuff
    To name a few. This episode wasted no time adding women to that roster.

Yay for the cool new intro!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yay for the cool new intro!
    This got interesting very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    This got interesting very quickly.
    Pretty friggin' cool moment on the walkway up to Dragonstone! Good, real tension. Milly Alcock as the young Rhaenyra Targaryen has my attention...she's doing a great job!

Pretty friggin' cool moment on the walkway up to Dragonstone! Good, real tension. Milly Alcock as the young Rhaenyra Targaryen has my attention...she's doing a great job!
    I looked it up. She's 30 playing a 15 year old. Rather impressive.

I think the series leaps forward in time at some point and these young gals become grown women. I’ll miss this actress, if true.

I’m pretty happy with how the series is shaping up so far. I think this will ultimately be a tighter narrative than the sprawling GoT but that could be a good thing considering how that show landed.

I think this will ultimately be a tighter narrative than the sprawling GoT but that could be a good thing considering how that show landed crashed and burned.
    FIFY

According to IMDB, Milly Aycock is 22. Probably 21 when this was filmed. So not quite Gabrielle Carteris.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Nice reference.