Page 858 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 35875880884885685785885986086890895813581858 ... LastLast
Results 17,141 to 17,160 of 67390
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Agreed.

I am strongly considering camping out on the patio chairs, or actually encouraging husband to do so this weekend. Out here in the boonies, the shotgun comes in handy once in a while...without going all PPB about it. He nailed a rabid raccoon last year that was charging the cat up a tree. I love the drama of our hillbilly existence.
    Are you my neighbor?

We have bears, squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, groundhogs, coyotes, and the ocassional fox.

The coyotes are losing ground here and moving a bit further out but there are still plenty of sightings. We do face a feral hog issue...

Suggestions from LTE

I'm considering applying for a (soon to be open) promotion that I'm positive I'll have a good chance at getting. The downside is it requires more hours and only slightly higher pay. I'm not sure what to do.

Should I go for it for the sake of experience?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I'm considering applying for a (soon to be open) promotion that I'm positive I'll have a good chance at getting. The downside is it requires more hours and only slightly higher pay. I'm not sure what to do.

1. How will affect your ability to continue your classroom training toward your degree? (serious question-no unc remarks needed here)
    2. Will there be any additional perks? (paid for health insurance, "expense account," phone up-grade/paid for cell phone expenses, etc)
    3. Exactly how many more hours for how much little additional pay?

My first thought is go for it. Experience the interview/selection process and if you aren't chosen, it's a life lesson and learn from it. You can be selected and politely decline (theoretically), or accept the position and try it for 12-24 months and learn from the experience.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

If it is a stepping stone in the right direction, I say go for it. I have found I can sacrifice all sorts of things in the name of progress - provided that it is a finite amount of time. 60 hours a week for a few months? Sure. Unpleasant hours for a year? Yup.

Indefinite unpleasantness is a different story. Since you asked for advice I would set yourself an inflexible amount of time to revisit the decision.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    1. How will affect your ability to continue your classroom training toward your degree? (serious question-no unc remarks needed here)
    2. Will there be any additional perks? (paid for health insurance, "expense account," phone up-grade/paid for cell phone expenses, etc)
    3. Exactly how many more hours for how much little additional pay?

My first thought is go for it. Experience the interview/selection process and if you aren't chosen, it's a life lesson and learn from it. You can be selected and politely decline (theoretically), or accept the position and try it for 12-24 months and learn from the experience.
    1. This is my biggest concern. I will have less time at home, but more control over when I work. No matter what, my educational plans will not change as that is the most important thing right now.
    2. I already have great health insurance, that won't change at all. Same with my phone which is already free (although I pay for a personal line as well so I don't get bombarded with work calls when I'm off - which would change if I take the promotion). No major perks.
    3. Probably around 10 more hours a week. Pay is hard to tell. I'll be going from an hourly base pay plus monthly commission to a base salary plus quarterly bonuses. The base salary is more than my hourly, but not enough to be what I make now with commission included. With average quarterly bonuses, it will probably be around 12% more. Nothing is guaranteed with bonuses, so it is still hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    If it is a stepping stone in the right direction, I say go for it. I have found I can sacrifice all sorts of things in the name of progress - provided that it is a finite amount of time. 60 hours a week for a few months? Sure. Unpleasant hours for a year? Yup.

Indefinite unpleasantness is a different story. Since you asked for advice I would set yourself an inflexible amount of time to revisit the decision.

Best of luck!
    I would first have to do the role as an interim for 90 days. If I absolutely hate it, I can step down. I appreciate the advice!
    Last edited by mattman91; 06-18-2016 at 04:11 PM.

1. This is my biggest concern. I will have less time at home, but more control over when I work. No matter what, my educational plans will not change as that is the most important thing right now.
    2. I already have great health insurance, that won't change at all. Same with my phone which is already free (although I pay for a personal line as well so I don't get bombarded with work calls when I'm off - which would change if I take the promotion). No major perks.
    3. Probably around 10 more hours a week. Pay is hard to tell. I'll be going from an hourly base pay plus monthly commission to a base salary plus quarterly bonuses. The base salary is more than my hourly, but not enough to be what I make now with commission included. With average quarterly bonuses, it will probably be around 12% more. Nothing is guaranteed with bonuses, so it is still hard to tell.
    Hourly to salary is dangerous. You are smart to consider this thoroughly.

Good thinking. Looking forward to hearing your decision with periodic updates. Good luck! (Any way they could work an MBA/CPA/other advanced accounting/business degree into the employment package ?)

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Good thinking. Looking forward to hearing your decision with periodic updates. Good luck! (Any way they could work an MBA/CPA/other advanced accounting/business degree into the employment package ?)
    MBA is the ultimate goal, and yes, they will pay for it.

Thanks!

Only 2 weeks left of work* until August.

* Work = the job I do in order to receive a paycheck, as opposed to bar prep, which is what I do in order to pass the bar and keep my job, but for which I pay to have the privilege of participating in.

MBA is the ultimate goal, and yes, they will pay for it.

Thanks!
    It'll be a long journey but it pleases me greatly to hear that.

mattyman, don't forget us on your way up the corporate ladder.

I'm stockpiling the Zima for the graduation party, remember that!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

mattyman, don't forget us on your way up the corporate ladder.

I'm stockpiling the Zima for the graduation party, remember that!
    Haha!

Did y'all know Red Velvet Oreos are a thing now? They actually aren't bad.

Haha!

I haven't tried those as I have very specific red velvet requirements. One is no cream cheese frosting. I have tried the Oreo S' mores and liked them.

I thoughr I would like red velvet, but decided I'd stick with Bobby Vinton.

Haha!

I haven't had that yet. Where is it on tap?

Haha!

That will make a festive dessert table at your graduation party, along with the Zima to wash them down.

In other news labelled 'obvious,' I am sick unto death of weeding the garden. The garden is sitting out there, laughing at me..I can hear it...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

That will make a festive dessert table at your graduation party, along with the Zima to wash them down.

In other news labelled 'obvious,' I am sick unto death of weeding the garden. The garden is sitting out there, laughing at me..I can hear it...
    Come to WNC - no weeds here. Our lawn is in mid-August form.

Try this:

200px-Glyphosate.svg.png