Page 20 of 59 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    So you're saying that Coach Young should not be coach any more? Maybe she was experimenting with different matchups or challenging one of her less experienced players in a big moment. Lots of things can go into a game decision that may not appear to make sense, but please give her the benefit of the doubt.
    I would, but I'm not sure there's much doubt there. That's just a bad decision in terms of run expectation in one of the bigger games will play during the regular season. You HAVE to maximize your chances in the big-time games. You have license to experiment against a bottom-feeder, but not against the conference powerhouse. Marissa Young is a great coach, but that was just a bad softball decision. It happens, even to great coaches.

Today's series opener with Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, VA is postponed due to weather.
    Game 1 will be tomorrow (Saturday) at 12 pm and Games 2 & 3 will be Sunday at 12 & 2 pm.

Duke leads VT in Game 1, 1-0 after 2. Curd is pitching.

Solo homer doubles the lead for duke. curd is pitching well through 3 innings but is having trouble getting batters out quickly and has thrown a lot of pitches

2-1 after 4. Curd gave up a solo rocket but nothing else.

Ana Gold with a grand slam in T7 for a 7-1 Duke lead!!

Duke wins 7-1. A combined 1-hitter for Curd and Walker.

Game 2 is underway with Jala Wright pitching. The announcer mentioned that VT is especially focused on winning this game since they have not lost 2 in a row since February. Of course, neither has Duke (the first 2 games of the year).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I came in late, the announcer mentioned that Torres isn't behind the plate. Is she injured?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I came in late, the announcer mentioned that Torres isn't behind the plate. Is she injured?
    Ouch, and already that shows as Frelick makes a bad throw to second and the base is stolen.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    No, I think its normal for a double-header to use two catchers. Frelick's got a good arm and she made a great throw to first to end the B2.

Gold with the RBI double, Duke leads 1-0

Back-to-back HR by Gold and Vega give Duke a 5-0 lead in T5.

Vega on fire right now (gold is just on her usual level of dominance). Makes that bunt decision last week more baffling.

Keep it going duke

Duke's defense has also been very good lately. At the risk of jinxing them, no errors yet this series. Knock on wood.

VT with a solo HR in B6 to make it 5-1. Jala still looks good and just made a bad pitch.
    Maybe Coach Young will bring in Walker to close out in the 7th.

Duke wins 5-1. Jala with the complete game, 3 hits, 7 Ks.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    VT with a solo HR in B6 to make it 5-1. Jala still looks good and just made a bad pitch.
    Maybe Coach Young will bring in Walker to close out in the 7th.
    If it wasn’t a double header I bet she would have but I think she wants to save Walker for game 2. Guessing SGM Curd and Walker will combine to pitch this game in some order

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    If it wasn’t a double header I bet she would have but I think she wants to save Walker for game 2. Guessing SGM Curd and Walker will combine to pitch this game in some order
    Probably right. They had Coach Young in a short interview during the game and asked her about changing the pitching rotation. She said they wanted to give Jala a different look, going from Friday-Sunday to the Saturday slot. The games got compressed into two days due to weather, but that's the idea. She didn't say, but I think it also gives a vote of confidence to Curd who is becoming the ace of the staff.

Curd starting game 2. Interesting. Not sure she’s started two games in two days (or in three days?) yet