Thread: Exhibition Game

Exhibition Game

Did we ever hear the date for that exhibition game with Villanova? I know it's hush-hush but if the fact of the game has leaked out, maybe the date and the outcome will also leak out. I'd love to be able to watch it but that can't happen.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Did we ever hear the date for that exhibition game with Villanova? I know it's hush-hush but if the fact of the game has leaked out, maybe the date and the outcome will also leak out. I'd love to be able to watch it but that can't happen.
    I would imagine that the leaks will be very minimal on this front, because our ability to have this scrimmage relies heavily on it being "closed door". This is new for us, but Michigan State has had similar scrimmages in the past, and beyond the existence of the games they've gone almost entirely under the radar even in the local Detroit press. That's by rule. In fact, I don't believe anyone outside the program is even allowed to be present, so it's not like a member of the press will be able to attend and give us a report on the game (I can't remember the link with those details, so sporks to anyone who can find it, haha).

Long story short, don't get your hopes up for any concrete news to come out of this game on our end as fans.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I can't find the exact information on this, but the date is next weekend. I remember hearing the 22nd, so Friday if the old thinker is working.

Nevermind, I found it. Jeff Goodman did his annual Secret Scrimmage List. It's Saturday, 10/23

https://watchstadium.com/not-so-secr...es-10-15-2021/

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Nevermind, I found it. Jeff Goodman did his annual Secret Scrimmage List. It's Saturday, 10/23

https://watchstadium.com/not-so-secr...es-10-15-2021/
    I do hope that this is happening. I've said this numerous times before, but I think one of the two biggest problems we had last year was that we didn't get a normal offseason. This included no summer work with the team, and no preseason games. So our first real evidence of what we were was in the opening game of the season. That affected us twofold: we didn't have nearly as much time to build cohesiveness, and we didn't get those low-risk opportunities to see what works and what doesn't against external opponents.

So I'm all for getting as many "free" data points as possible heading into this season. Coach K feels much more confident with this group right now than he apparently felt going into last season, and that's likely a function of having had 3 additional months to work with this group before the season. But getting as many free data points on what works and what doesn't should only help as we again start the official season with a big matchup very early.

I'll be surprised if nothing leaks about the outcome of the game. It's too prominent a match-up and there's too any people involved at Duke and Villanova. Nothing is supposed to leak from the schools about recruiting but it leaks all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I'll be surprised if nothing leaks about the outcome of the game. It's too prominent a match-up and there's too any people involved at Duke and Villanova. Nothing is supposed to leak from the schools about recruiting but it leaks all the time.
    Yep. The info is typically all over twitter. Who impressed, final scores, leading scorers, etc.

Semantical quibble: is it really an "exhibition" game if it's basically held privately in front of no outsiders? That's my final thought before cocktail hour, which looms.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Semantical quibble: is it really an "exhibition" game if it's basically held privately in front of no outsiders? That's my final thought before cocktail hour, which looms.
    Let's go with "Inhibition Game".

Is it kinda like the private match between Rocky and Apollo at the end of Rocky iii

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    Let's go with "Inhibition Game".
    very good!

Semantical quibble 2: is it really “secret” if Jeff Goodman and the twitterverse report about it?