Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Great 2nd half adjustments.

Love Bolden’s play in 2nd half. Without AOC and him we don’t win.

Please don’t bring Goldwire in for critical situations

I hope Baker has shown something in practice, because he looked slow and scared to me in his few mins of burn

Overall, I love the grit RJ showed, and I think the whole team fed off his attitude.

Cam’s inability to finish wide open breakaways is frustrating. I think replay showed he was hot-dogging AND he actually hit it out of bounds. Plays like that deep in the tourney can turn momentum against you and get you beat. (Think Battier block from behind)

I felt this was a crucial game and I hope AOC and Bolden can build on this game and give us more even after Zion returns.

Go Duke!

I never really understood the Baker redshirt concept, as I don’t see him staying 5 years. I just don’t understand why K waited until now.

I agree that Bolden coming in for Javin seemed to solidify the win. He is just much better at holding onto rebounds and finishing his dunks. I wonder if we could have had 6-8 more points in first half if he had played more. But who amI to question the GOaT.

Scheyer said during halftime interview that they were trying to find someone who could shoot...so I think that explains some of the personnel usage. Thankfully AOC came through!

Great job by our youngsters against a good Cuse team. Alex played his best game as Dukie. But RJ was fantastic tonight. He played under control, took what the defense gave him and made shots. Our two headed center, Javin and Marques played very well. Javin having a good first half and Marques having a great 2nd half. Marques showed some strength grabbing those important rebounds late in the game. I'm wondering if Baker has been lighting it up in practice and Coach K decided to use him to hopefully be a zone breaker. However that job went to Alex as he nailed some big 3s. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Yes. It’s hard to make sense of burning the redshirt without there being a reason beyond Baker’s ability to fill in for a short-term Zion injury. The most encouraging explanation would be Baker playing and shooting well in practice and K deciding that we need another shooter for the post-season run. But that seems like a bit of stretch this late in the season.
    I think there's more of a reason. I think he was probably playing really well in practice and Jack has been a no-show the past month. I think that has more to do with it than Duke needing him to win this game, they obviously didn't.

Also, if coach tells you you're going to play, and you have the chance to contribute to a title caliber team, kinda hard to pass up.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    So, we don't suck without Zion.

How about Hero Balls' pass fake before draining that cold-blooded 3? Biggest shot of the game.
    RJ played like a star- patient in the zone and hit killer shots. He looked like a pro. Great game by AOC. Kid can shoot- just needs to get into the flow of the game- which was possible because of Zion's absence. Bolden has a number of important plays down the stretch. Cam was a bit of a disaster - his inconsistency is a head scratcher. Baker has a new short so we shall see how that affects the team into March. This team clearly needs Zion but maybe they can keep winning for a few more games to let Zion heal completely. No question- this was a confidence builder.

Bringing Bolden in the game turned the rebounding story around. We went from getting dominating on boards to dominating the boards.
    Great game by AOC. Great offense by RJ. Cam’s shooting confidence issue re-emerges.
    Too many poorly executed lobs.
    Defensively AOC better than usual. Cam strong. DeLaurier mixed - nice steals but got totally dominated in paint.
    Thought Syr looked scared as soon as we took lead.

Baker for five minutes??? This plus seeing Zion limping makes me worried that this isn’t going to be a few days rest injury.

But we got a great, and much needed, win on the road! Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I never really understood the Baker redshirt concept, as I don’t see him staying 5 years. I just don’t understand why K waited until now.

I agree that Bolden coming in for Javin seemed to solidify the win. He is just much better at holding onto rebounds and finishing his dunks. I wonder if we could have had 6-8 more points in first half if he had played more. But who amI to question the GOaT.

Scheyer said during halftime interview that they were trying to find someone who could shoot...so I think that explains some of the personnel usage. Thankfully AOC came through!
    As for why- I am not sure- but Baker probably would not have played a ton and perhaps was not ready early. That said- losing Zion made Duke vulnerable to another injury so...

Hard fought win. D got much better the last 10. Still, I think Cuse helped us out missing some good opportunities and free throws because we sure made some mistakes down the stretch. Bolden was huge. AOC wow. RJ kept us in it until he got some help. I am befuddled with Reddish.. I keep waiting for some consistency from him.

Our esteemed poster who kept hammering for Baker to play..I think that poster should be the Baker No Longer a Redshirt thread starter because the Baker decision will surely be talked about. I think Coach K has been seeing something in practice from him & he knows the outside shooting in suspect. He has a team that has a chance to win it all and possibly a few minutes in a crucial game from Baker could be the difference. You never know. I certainly don't think it was based on the game tonight.

Tough road win. Been a long week. Might be time for a celebratory beer..
    Last edited by wsb3; 02-23-2019 at 08:46 PM.

AOC not getting more pt this year has been baffling to me. Hope we continue letting him get some burn. Bolden solid per usual. Javin would be an awesome player if he just wasn't so foul prone. Baker I'm excited to see get up to speed, may take a couple games for him to get cozzy. RJ... Dude is a killer on the court, he plays similar to Harden with the Kobe attitude. Tre is a great passer and leader but still struggles from deep and within 3 feet.

To whomever that was in the in game thread asking about NBA players developing a 3 point shot... You might should start watching the NBA. Loads of guys develop 3 point shots.

I don't understand the Reddish haters who say they don't see it with him. If I'm a scout in telling my team to draft him top 10 easily. Dude is great but streaky.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Agreed...that's the once maybe kinda sorta bothersome negative about tonight's fabulous win...and it's no where near clear that doing it tonight...versus doing it six weeks ago...versus not doing it...is the right move. Time will tell...
    as mentioned in the in-game thread, maybe it was using Baker that got the message across to AOC (who was 0-1 at that point): produce or get replaced. And whoo-dawg, did AOC produce. Career high in pts and 3s!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BoiseDevil View Post

Please don’t bring Goldwire in for critical situations

I hope Baker has shown something in practice, because he looked slow and scared to me in his few mins of burn
    Overall, I love the grit RJ showed, and I think the whole team fed off his attitude.
    Cam’s inability to finish wide open breakaways is frustrating. I think replay showed he was hot-dogging AND he actually hit it out of bounds. Plays like that deep in the tourney can turn momentum against you and get you beat. (Think Battier block from behind)

Go Duke!
    We don't win that game at Louisville without Goldwire's play. He can be forgiven for making a bad play tonight. He's just got learn how to focus consistently, and not just be energetic. Energy without focus causes bad mistakes. Energy with focus gets the team big wins.
    I'm actually ok with that lack of finish, although attacking the rim hard would have been preferable. He just didn't change speeds enough to get the play he thought he was gonna get. What bothered me most was that ridiculous more than cross-court pass trying to go over the zone that was easily picked off. That was a careless and stupid play. Cam had a poor game overall, despite at least 2 really excellent defensive plays near the start of the game, he seemed to not be keyed in for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I think there's more of a reason. I think he was probably playing really well in practice and Jack has been a no-show the past month. I think that has more to do with it than Duke needing him to win this game, they obviously didn't.

Also, if coach tells you you're going to play, and you have the chance to contribute to a title caliber team, kinda hard to pass up.
    I've found over the many years of being a Duke fan, it's hard to second guess the GOAT. One other thing, Cam made some questionable passes tonight. Freshmen mistakes? I loved that Alex did not try to dunk the ball toward the end of the game but brought it back out. Good basketball IQ. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Barrett was superb. O'Connell was outstanding.
    Reddish? What do the NBA scouts see in Cam. He is 6'8 but it was O'Connell that hit shots.
    Happy for the win. Marques Bolden gave us a huge lift. Our rebounding was terrible until Marques started playing.

Great win, but this team can close games better. Dumb passes late in the game are unacceptable. Coach K made some half time adjustments that got us the win.
    Don’t underestimate Cams defense. He’s very good. His reach is impressive. He’s gotten better finishing around the basket. His shooting is streaky but his defense is solid.

So much more to talk about, and like, than whether we'll miss Joey Baker in the 2022-23 season.

Great to see Alex respond...wow! Love that soft, high-arcing shot, beautiful. Great adjustments by the staff at halftime. What a competitor and winner RJ Barrett is! Christian Laettner would tip his hat.

Loved watching the bench, and great to see Zion enjoying it. On one occasion, he jumped pretty well for a guy with a sore knee.

Dan Shulman and Jay were properly respectful of the tragedy and loss of life in the auto accident. I did a double-take when Shulman said the crowd had observed a moment of silence in both English and Spanish...hmmm, sounded different?

Here's a link to the postgame press conference. Coach K just started.

https://www.localsyr.com/sports/oran...nce/1804528629

(Click the link under the picture.)

Quote Originally Posted by BoiseDevil View Post
    Please don’t bring Goldwire in for critical situations.
    I was trying to be calm and not curse.. but I saw Goldwire check in & I think immediately I said, "Coach WTH are you thinking?"

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    As for why- I am not sure- but Baker probably would not have played a ton and perhaps was not ready early. That said- losing Zion made Duke vulnerable to another injury so...
    We needed another body and K made the decision to play Baker. I don’t see the controversy and the “decision” to redshirt was predicated on good health and shooters making 3’s. Why not bring him on slowly and possibly he turns a game around for us soon.

If Jack White has lost his confidence, then AOC should be given a shot. Seems K is simply doing his job and trying to make the parts fit. Great finish tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Bringing Bolden in the game turned the rebounding story around. We went from getting dominating on boards to dominating the boards.
    One of the big mysteries of this game is why it took so long to use Bolden. I got the logic of starting Javin and AOC but when Vrank entered the game I assumed that Bolden must be under the weather. What did Vrank provide that Bolden doesn't do better? Rebounding? Rim protection? Defense on switches? Post scoring? i don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Don’t underestimate Cams defense. He’s very good. His reach is impressive. He’s gotten better finishing around the basket. His shooting is streaky but his defense is solid.
    Yes, yes, yes. He and Tre were glued to their man tonight.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    RJ played like a star- patient in the zone and hit killer shots. He looked like a pro. Great game by AOC. Kid can shoot- just needs to get into the flow of the game- which was possible because of Zion's absence. Bolden has a number of important plays down the stretch. Cam was a bit of a disaster - his inconsistency is a head scratcher. Baker has a new short so we shall see how that affects the team into March. This team clearly needs Zion but maybe they can keep winning for a few more games to let Zion heal completely. No question- this was a confidence builder.
    Reddish inconsistent. 1 for 8 on 3's. I don't understand what the NBA sees in him.That soft layup is not the first time he has been weak with a dribble drive. I thought he would finally live up to the hype. He throws the ball carelessly in crunch time. If he gives us something great, but no more expectations from me to see Cam be a consistent double digit scorer. He does sometime makes steals but then blows the play or gives it right back. He is not strong with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    So much more to talk about, and like, than whether we'll miss Joey Baker in the 2022-23 season.

Great to see Alex respond...wow! Love that soft, high-arcing shot, beautiful. Great adjustments by the staff at halftime. What a competitor and winner RJ Barrett is! Christian Laettner would tip his hat.

Loved watching the bench, and great to see Zion enjoying it. On one occasion, he jumped pretty well for a guy with a sore knee.

Dan Shulman and Jay were properly respectful of the tragedy and loss of life in the auto accident. I did a double-take when Shulman said the crowd had observed a moment of silence in both English and Spanish...hmmm, sounded different?
    He said it twice! I'm guessing they announced the moment of silence in both languages. His choice of words was interesting though.