Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I'm really glad that the team gets two full days off before heading to Louisville. This is definitely a big game for the guys if they want to maintain control of their ACCT and NCAAT seeding destinies.

The thing I'm most curious to see is if K and the staff are able to add a new wrinkle or two to get Zion into the lane. Louisville can't defend like UVA, but, as mentioned above, they employ a variation on the pack-line defense and do a good job keeping opposing players out of the paint. Not that Zion has been in anything resembling a slump, BUT his raw scoring numbers have been very good rather than super-human the past two games. If the team has anything resembling tired legs or an emotional hangover after the game up in Charlottesville, finding ways to get Zion a few easy buckets will go a long way toward preventing our half-court offense from looking stagnant and slow against a very good Louisville defense.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I'm really glad that the team gets two full days off before heading to Louisville. This is definitely a big game for the guys if they want to maintain control of their ACCT and NCAAT seeding destinies.

The thing I'm most curious to see is if K and the staff are able to add a new wrinkle or two to get Zion into the lane. Louisville can't defend like UVA, but, as mentioned above, they employ a variation on the pack-line defense and do a good job keeping opposing players out of the paint. Not that Zion has been in anything resembling a slump, BUT his raw scoring numbers have been very good rather than super-human the past two games. If the team has anything resembling tired legs or an emotional hangover after the game up in Charlottesville, finding ways to get Zion a few easy buckets will go a long way toward preventing our half-court offense from looking stagnant and slow against a very good Louisville defense.
    My theory on this is that Cam Reddish has been taking on more of the scoring load. So I am fine with Zion going from 25+ points to 18-20 points a game if it means more balanced scoring. And that means defenders are going to close out on Reddish and Barrett, which opens up driving lanes and dish-offs. We saw a little of that in the UVA game. If Duke starts hitting 35%+ from beyond 3, it is like opening up a cheat code in NBA Jam for the offense. It was already very good. This Duke team with a couple of reliable shooters is going to be absurdly good.

My favorite line about this was John Gasaway, a writer for ESPN. He wrote something over the weekend, like 'if Duke can hit 3's, that would be the basketball equivalent of the scene from Jurassic Park when the Velocirators figured out how to open doors.'

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    My theory on this is that Cam Reddish has been taking on more of the scoring load. So I am fine with Zion going from 25+ points to 18-20 points a game if it means more balanced scoring. And that means defenders are going to close out on Reddish and Barrett, which opens up driving lanes and dish-offs. We saw a little of that in the UVA game. If Duke starts hitting 35%+ from beyond 3, it is like opening up a cheat code in NBA Jam for the offense. It was already very good. This Duke team with a couple of reliable shooters is going to be absurdly good.

My favorite line about this was John Gasaway, a writer for ESPN. He wrote something over the weekend, like 'if Duke can hit 3's, that would be the basketball equivalent of the scene from Jurassic Park when the Velocirators figured out how to open doors.'
    That is a fantastic comparison, thank you for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    It is so odd having the #1 team in the nation in 3-point percentage in away games. Like, what is going on?

Part of the explanation might be the coaching. Specifically, R.J. Barrett is stepping into his shot or taking set shots a lot more. I noticed in the UVA game that he would often pass to Tre, take a couple steps back and to the side for an open look, and then step into the three as Tre passed the ball back. Look at R.J. in this highlight package. He's not taking shots off the dribble anymore. Reddish is doing this, too, and it is starting to go in.
    Yes, I have been saying to my friend that RJ should not be allowed to shoot 3s off the dribble for several games now. All 6 of Barrett's 3 pt makes were basically set shots. 4 of the 6 were basically catch and shoots and the other 2 he caught the ball, paused to center it and then shot. And of his 4 misses, I only recall the last one being off the dribble from the top of the key as the shot clock was running down. I'd love to see a Synergy break down of off the catch vs off the dribble 3s for RJ and Cam.

If we focus on trying to take only "good" 3 point shots (compare 1st half BC vs 2nd half BC as well) our % will go up. I doubt we shoot 62% again, but I'd guess the 3FG% will be closer to 40 than 30.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrassdevil1 View Post

Since the Yum opened in mid-2010, every national champion (save for last season's Nova team) has played at least one game there, so here's hoping that works in Duke's favor.
    The 2013 NCAA champion did not play any games in the Yum! Center. Because officially, there was no champion.

(We should be saying the same thing about '03, '05, '09, '17. And, it appears, '14.)

UVA took Carolina down, now we have to do the same to Louisville. Good luck to the guys tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    UVA took Carolina down, now we have to do the same to Louisville. Good luck to the guys tomorrow night.
    #2 vs #20. If both Duke and Louisville play to their potential then Duke will win. Should Duke win the game, we'll be firmly in control of the ACC reg. season title and #1 seed in the tourney. I don't hate Louisville or anything, but a big time smack-down would be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    #2 vs #20. If both Duke and Louisville play to their potential then Duke will win. Should Duke win the game, we'll be firmly in control of the ACC reg. season title and #1 seed in the tourney. I don't hate Louisville or anything, but a big time smack-down would be nice!
    we haven't played Carolina yet... were not really in control until they pick up another loss or we beat them next week

You should. For many reasons. I won't get into them here. For me it all starts in 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    <full preview>
    Thanks, CDu, for posting these all season. I haven't been able to keep up with the other ACC teams this year so I appreciate getting caught up with these posts and being informed come gametime.

Oddly enough, I'm not scared of this matchup. The size mismatch is striking and we are so long and tall that I think we will see a major advantage there.

It's not that I don't believe Loovul is talented. They are, I'm sure. But if we're as good as we appear to think we are, and as emotionally mature as we seem, and as assassin thinking as RJ leads me to believe, I think we will come out gunning.

This doesn't strike me as a team that suffers as much from playing "flat" as some of our past teams.

But you gotta play the (ACC road) game.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    You should. For many reasons. I won't get into them here. For me it all starts in 1986.
    Too soon

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Too soon
    It's never too soon to declare hatred for a dirty, slimy basketball program.

Duke is 21-2 (9-1) tied for 1st in the ACC.
    Really? Check the standings again.

It's never too soon to declare hatred for a dirty, slimy basketball program.
    "Too soon" to bring up the memory of Pervis catching an air ball and scoring the deciding basket...against the 37-2 Blue Devils, one of the all time great teams.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    "Too soon" to bring up the memory of Pervis catching an air ball and scoring the deciding basket...against the 37-2 Blue Devils, one of the all time great teams.
    Great. Here comes a Never Nervous nightmare. 😎

I was on the Quad that night. One of the saddest experiences of my life.

Screw Denny Crum and Never Nervous Pervis.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Most devastating loss I think in my Duke fandom history...well, then 94....same kind of thing - Duke gets penalized so to speak by playing outstanding D on the key possession of the game.

I remember the incredible semi final game against Kansas, which matched the two best teams in the nation. I think the Devils had a Kansas hang over - while Louisville got to cruise over an 11th seed in the other semi. Alarie and Henderson were just gassed...no legs on their shots late. Sad game.

Based on the size advantage, i run the offense through Cam and Barrett. They will have a significant size advantage over the wingers. Let them post up the wingers at the elbow or so. Have them start the offense from there.
    Have the center and Zion run back door movements along the baseline to see what is open for lobs. If cam and RJ are successful early, quick doubles should occur to get the ball out of their hands. Lobs or bounce passes to people running the baseline will be open.

On D, i do a 3/4 court S. The wings will have a hard time making passes over the top. Could really speed them up and hopefully rush shots. Rush shots usually lead to longer rebounds and long rebounds start our O.

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    Based on the size advantage, i run the offense through Cam and Barrett. They will have a significant size advantage over the wingers. Let them post up the wingers at the elbow or so. Have them start the offense from there.
    Have the center and Zion run back door movements along the baseline to see what is open for lobs. If cam and RJ are successful early, quick doubles should occur to get the ball out of their hands. Lobs or bounce passes to people running the baseline will be open.

On D, i do a 3/4 court S. The wings will have a hard time making passes over the top. Could really speed them up and hopefully rush shots. Rush shots usually lead to longer rebounds and long rebounds start our O.
    I don't think we should vary our offensive strategy. Reddish and Barrett aren't post-up threats. Posting up is not an easy skill, and asking them to do something they aren't comfortable doing doesn't seem wise. Especially when we have a decided talent advantage. We should focus on doing what we do well, and see if we can force Louisville to adjust to us rather than the other way around.

On defense, I think we'll also do more of the same as usual. We will trap occasionally and Jones will apply light pressure all the way up the floor. But mainly, we'll harass the passing lanes and use our height/length advantage to make life difficult in the half-court.

The biggest advantage we have is that Louisville just has no idea how athletic we are. You can see it on tape, but you just don't know until you face it. Look at the first UVa game: UVa is as prepared and well-organized as any team in the country. But they were just not at all ready for Barrett and Zion attacking off the dribble. The second time around? They were ready for it, and basically eliminated that from the game (we won, obviously, thanks to unexpectedly phenomenal perimeter shooting). I think we let our athletes play their game, and see if Louisville can keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

My dad was on the quad that night, too. He tells me it's one of the worst memories of his life.