Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Since she appeared to be more an off guard, we’ll have to see.
    She almost always played beside Kyra, who is a true natural point guard. Mikayla can handle the ball and get some assists.

I'm not sure that will be enough to salvage the season, though. This team just looks lost. It's not so much about the physical talent as it is about the mental side. They are often second-guessing themselves, or they get so locked in to what they're supposed to do as part of the play that they aren't seizing the opportunities the floor situation presents. We beat Marist by single-digits. We should have been able to beat them by 25. This was not the start of the home stand I was hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    She almost always played beside Kyra, who is a true natural point guard. Mikayla can handle the ball and get some assists.
    Mikayla never played a minute beside Kyra.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Mikayla never played a minute beside Kyra.
    True. But she played most of her minutes next to Lexie Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    D'oh. Was thinking about injuries and mistyped. What Kedsy said.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm not sure Lexie was a true point guard, certainly not like Kyra. Remember 2 years ago when they were playing pretty well with Kyra and Lexie in the backcourt, Lexie was clearly the off-guard.

I don't remember Mikayla's 10 games a year ago whether she was the primary ballhandler. I don't believe she was recruited as a point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I don't remember Mikayla's 10 games a year ago whether she was the primary ballhandler. I don't believe she was recruited as a point guard.
    My recollection is that she virtually always brought the ball up in favor of Becca, but did so only about half the time when Lexie was on the floor. One or the other of those two was nearly always out there. She was generally listed by recruiters as a "combo guard".

Lots of turnovers in the first half, but most of them have been “errors of enthusiasm,” e.g., sticking passes into small windows and not having them caught cleanly. That said, the defense has been excellent, and Odom caught fire late. Duke leads by eight at the break.

Defense really caught fire in the third, holding the Rebels to six points. Boykin shaking off the rust, and Duke’s complementary players are contributing. Up by 21 going to the fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Defense really caught fire in the third, holding the Rebels to six points. Boykin shaking off the rust, and Duke’s complementary players are contributing. Up by 21 going to the fourth.
    She already has 6 assists (with 3 turnovers).
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke wins by 28, 66-38. Boykin is going to help a lot. Lots of rust, but lots of positives, including 5 steals. The next 2 games will tell us a lot.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke wins by 28, 66-38. Boykin is going to help a lot. Lots of rust, but lots of positives, including 5 steals. The next 2 games will tell us a lot.
    At this point I think I'd lay odds against us holding a game on Sunday at all. Which is a shame, because I've missed the last two and I was looking forward to seeing Mikayla in action.

At this point I think I'd lay odds against us holding a game on Sunday at all. Which is a shame, because I've missed the last two and I was looking forward to seeing Mikayla in action.
    Canceling/postponing the game is indeed on the table. Especially since it's a non-conference game.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Canceling/postponing the game is indeed on the table. Especially since it's a non-conference game.
    Darn. We'd have a chance to get a win against a ranked team that's 5-4.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    When does SC make the trip? I'd assume tomorrow, sometime before the weather hits, since it isn't supposed to make an impact until later in the evening. So if they cancel, I'd think they'd need to announce it today.
    I'd bet they don't cancel, but encourage fans to stay home and watch on tv.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'd bet they don't cancel, but encourage fans to stay home and watch on tv.
    I hate that we already pretty much lose home court advantage to South Carolina, and you know if the team bus comes, the fan buses will come, too. It would be effectively an away game for our own players if Duke told its own fans to just stay home. In my opinion, if they are convinced local fans can't make it to the game safely, they should cancel the game.

I hate that we already pretty much lose home court advantage to South Carolina, and you know if the team bus comes, the fan buses will come, too. It would be effectively an away game for our own players if Duke told its own fans to just stay home. In my opinion, if they are convinced local fans can't make it to the game safely, they should cancel the game.
    In 1996 the Duke men hosted Georgia Tech on a snowy, freezing-rain Sunday afternoon. I do not recall if Duke formally advised people to stay at home. But I sure did and I live 25 miles from CIS. The roads were a skating rink.

Duke opened the seating up to anyone who could make it but even the bottom level wasn't completely full. Duke did lose the home-court advantage and the game, albeit to a very good GT team--Stephon Marbury, Matt Harpring, Drew Barry. But the absence of a supportive home crowd had to have been a factor.

Not an easy decision and not one I envy having to make.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke did lose the home-court advantage and the game...
    They did? Losing home court advantage implies to me that there are more fans of the other team vs home fans. (IE Duke football vs any number of teams in years past.) Did GT actually show up with more winterized yellow jackets?

I've been in Cameron for women's games packed to the rafters...with folks that drove over from Chapel Hill. In those games it didn't feel like we had much of a home court feeling; those are the closest reverses I've witnessed. But even then, there were still more of the correct shade of blue.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Would South Carolina really be busing to Duke? It seems a sufficient distance that any respectable women's basketball program would charter a flight for the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Would South Carolina really be busing to Duke? It seems a sufficient distance that any respectable women's basketball program would charter a flight for the trip.
    That's what I was assuming too. (And why I'd assume they would be landing Saturday before the weather hits.)

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Didn't Duke FB bus to Clemson? That's even further.