Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

2014 Bowl Selection Vigil

Where does the ACC champion go if it's not in the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Where does the ACC champion go if it's not in the playoffs?
    Orange Bowl. That is also where the ACC's second best team goes if the ACC champion is in the playoff.

Excuse me, shouldn't this thread be titled: "Duke Football Bowl Selection Vigil 2015"?
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Excuse me, shouldn't this thread be titled: "Duke Football Bowl Selection Vigil 2015"?
    Or: "Annual Football Bowl Selection Vigil, Version 2015"

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Orange Bowl. That is also where the ACC's second best team goes if the ACC champion is in the playoff.
    Orange Bowl or bust! Would be quite the follow-up to last year — had the time of my life in Atlanta. Hope to get another great bowl this year.

No matter where we go, I hope to be there. And I just want to be the first to say that *it's really important* that you buy your tickets through Duke. That matters so much as to what bowl we might be selected for in future years.

In 2012, I bought club level seats on the 45 for the Belk Bowl off of Stubhub (nice warm concourse at halftime on a bitterly cold night).

In 2013, I bought lower level seats on the 45 for the Chik-fil-A Bowl off of Stubhub.

So no, I didn't do my part. And I only paid a little bit more than everybody else did who went through Duke and who sat in the endzone.

If we win 10 games this year, and with our awesome coach, and our wonderfully entertaining performance in bowls the past two years -- bowls won't look at those facts. They are going to look at our "through Duke" sales in 2012 and 2013 in extending an invite.

So, buy via Duke. And stay off of Stubhub -- it's an evil, evil place that results in higher prices when lots of folks go there.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Or: "Annual Football Bowl Selection Vigil, Version 2015"
    OK, how did I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    OK, how did I do?
    Perfect.

Carolina Delenda Est

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Orange Bowl reps were at the game today!

DukeVsUVA 120.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Is that actually true? It used to be that if an ACC team was chosen for the National Championship Game, then the Orange had its choice from the rest of the ACC. That's different than the "second best" team going there. Orange was not obligated to take the ACC Championship loser, or even the team with the next best record, I don't believe. But it WAS a requirement that, if it was still available, the Sun Bowl - about 4th down on the totem pole - had to take the ACC Championship runner-up squad. If that's changed, I just wasn't aware of it.

The best thing to happen recently for Duke getting a chance to get picked up for a higher-end (and big payout) bowl, was the excellent turnout of the Duke fans in Atlanta last New Years Eve!

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Is that actually true? It used to be that if an ACC team was chosen for the National Championship Game, then the Orange had its choice from the rest of the ACC. That's different than the "second best" team going there. Orange was not obligated to take the ACC Championship loser, or even the team with the next best record, I don't believe. But it WAS a requirement that, if it was still available, the Sun Bowl - about 4th down on the totem pole - had to take the ACC Championship runner-up squad. If that's changed, I just wasn't aware of it.

The best thing to happen recently for Duke getting a chance to get picked up for a higher-end (and big payout) bowl, was the excellent turnout of the Duke fans in Atlanta last New Years Eve!
    Orange Bowl now has to take an ACC team if the champion is in the playoff. There is no specific rule about which team is classified as the next in line, just like before. For example, if we were under this year's rules last year, Clemson would get the spot by being 7-1 in the league and the highest ranked. Now that they have escaped BC, if they run the table they will be #2. For an 11-2 Duke to get to the Orange Bowl after losing in the ACCCG, we need Clemson to lose at least one more game, preferably inside the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post

That was not actually true - the Orange could have taken a team outside the ACC last year, but chose Clemson. This year the Selection Committee would pick the Orange Bowl replacement - no idea what their criteria will be , but their rankings should provide a big clue.

So, where's Duke bowling?

The Iron Dukes email has a mistake -- listing the Russell Athletic Bowl in Charlotte.

Dear Iron Dukes member,

On the strength of its 20-13 victory over Virginia today, the Duke Football team became bowl-eligible for the third consecutive season! Fans interested in following the Blue Devils in the post-season may register for tickets on www.GoDuke.com/bowls or by calling 919-681-BLUE.

Last season, Duke had a terrific turnout at the Chick-fil-A Bowl in Atlanta. Fans were not disappointed as the game was one of the most entertaining of the bowl season. We hope to keep that tradition alive this year! Certainly, we thank all of you in advance for your support of Duke Football.

Fans can select the game(s) they would be willing to travel to from the list of potential bowls based on the ACC's bowl partnerships, and register via credit card. Once the Blue Devils have qualified for the ACC Championship and/or have been selected for their bowl destination, the ticket order will automatically be charged to that specific game. All other bowl games that fans have selected will be released at no charge. If Duke does not play in the ACC Championship, that order will also be released and uncharged.

No refunds will be available once a site has been selected. Ticket seating will be based on Iron Duke priority with all fans who register before November 30th gaining a higher seating priority than those who register after that date. The ACC and the bowl sites will officially announce bids on December 7.

ACC Championship
    When: December 6, 2014
    Where: Charlotte, NC
    Ticket Price Range: $70-$195

Duke Bowl Options
    Follow the Blue Devils to one of these great bowl sites!

Orange Bowl
    When: December 31, 2014
    Where: Miami, FL
    Ticket Price Range: $50-$150

Capital One Bowl
    When: January 1, 2015
    Where: Orlando, FL
    Ticket Price Range: $90-$245

Russell Athletic Bowl
    When: December 29, 2014
    Ticket Price Range: $70-$245

Belk Bowl
    When: December 30, 2014
    Ticket Price Range: $107-$150

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
    When: December 27, 2014
    Where: Bronx, NY
    Ticket Price Range: $125-$220

Hyundai Sun Bowl
    Where: El Paso, TX
    Ticket Price Range: $47-$62

TaxSlayer Bowl
    When: January 2, 2015
    Where: Jacksonville, FL
    Ticket Price Range: $85-$125

Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl
    When: January 1, 2015
    Where: Nashville, TN
    Ticket Price Range: $85-$120

Military Bowl
    Where: Annapolis, MD
    Ticket Price Range: $75

Duck Commander Independence Bowl
    Where: Shreveport, LA
    Ticket Price Range: $45-$225

Quick Lane Bowl
    When: December 26, 2014
    Where: Detroit, MI
    Ticket Price Range: $89

Bitcoin St. Petersburg Bowl
    When: December 26, 2014
    Where: St. Petersburg, FL
    Ticket Price Range: $80

That was not actually true - the Orange could have taken a team outside the ACC last year, but chose Clemson. This year the Selection Committee would pick the Orange Bowl replacement - no idea what their criteria will be , but their rankings should provide a big clue.
    No he's right. The rules have changed this year. They're a bit weird, so see below:

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2013/8/...4-through-2019

For the Orange Bowl, it needs to take the 2nd highest ranked ACC team. I haven't found anywhere explaining how that is determined - it could be like last year's selection process, but I suspect it means 2nd highest in the polls or some form of what used to be the BCS rankings, but it does need to take an acc team.

Carolina Delenda Est

Just an observation: Orange Bowl reps have attended game day at Duke twice this season... yesterday and back in September. No other bowl reps yet. While it is true that there are multiple reps for each bowl who attend games somewhere every Saturday (or Thursday), this is the first year in a long time that it's been the Orange reps. Last year the Chic-fil-a reps made multiple visits and engaged in conversations with fans before games. (There was another bowl which sent reps last year almost as much as the Chic-fil-a bowl, but I don't recall at the moment which it was.)

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Just an observation: Orange Bowl reps have attended game day at Duke twice this season... yesterday and back in September. No other bowl reps yet. While it is true that there are multiple reps for each bowl who attend games somewhere every Saturday (or Thursday), this is the first year in a long time that it's been the Orange reps. Last year the Chic-fil-a reps made multiple visits and engaged in conversations with fans before games. (There was another bowl which sent reps last year almost as much as the Chic-fil-a bowl, but I don't recall at the moment which it was.)
    Last year the Russell Athletic Bowl sent reps to almost every game. With a Duke grad apparently among that bowl game's brass, it was rumored that we wouldn't fall below that bowl game last season. The CFA bowl grabbed us before the Russell Athletic had a chance to make their pick.

I believe that this year, the loser of the ACCCG can only go to the Orange Bowl (if the champion's in the playoff), the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl (formerly known as the Capital One Bowl) or the Russell Athletic Bowl. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that, but if that's true, making the ACCCG means that we will be guaranteed a bowl game in the state of Florida.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

What's the point of bowl representatives going to games?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    What's the point of bowl representatives going to games?
    It's a perk. I jumped straight over that question and thought to myself that being on a bowl selection committee must be fun. The reps can't possibly get any information from attending a game that will impact their decision, but it must be nice to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    No he's right. The rules have changed this year. They're a bit weird, so see below:

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2013/8/...4-through-2019

For the Orange Bowl, it needs to take the 2nd highest ranked ACC team. I haven't found anywhere explaining how that is determined - it could be like last year's selection process, but I suspect it means 2nd highest in the polls or some form of what used to be the BCS rankings, but it does need to take an acc team.
    Right. That was *not* the rule last year, as I explained.

I would expect the Orange Bowl replacement this year to be the next-highest ranked ACC team in the Selection Committee's rankings, but I don't think that's ever been made explicit.