Page 2335 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 133518352235228523252333233423352336233723452385243528353335 ... LastLast
Results 46,681 to 46,700 of 67370
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I think the farthest south I've been is Honolulu.

Nope, wrong, just checked, Tortola in the British Virgin Islands is slightly further south.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I think the farthest south I've been is Honolulu.

Nope, wrong, just checked, Tortola in the British Virgin Islands is slightly further south.
    My furthest point south would (I think) be Dar es Salaam, Tanzania...not all that impressive at a mere 7ish degrees South.

This is an interesting game we are playing.

Farthest south I have been is Caracas, Venezuela.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This is an interesting game we are playing.

Farthest south I have been is Caracas, Venezuela.
    Hanging with Chavez?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hanging with Chavez?
    You know this.

You know this.
    Kinda miss him. Those were simpler, quainter times.

Hanging with Chavez?
    You know this.
    Wait, your name is Art?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Wait, your name is Art?
    But the Spanish Art.

But the Spanish Art.
    ¡Arte!

Fact: t-shirt is short for tyrannosaurus shirt. It’s named that because of the short arms.

Fact: t-shirt is short for tyrannosaurus shirt. It’s named that because of the short arms.
    Man I hope this doesn't start something.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Man I hope this doesn't start something.
    Well, if it does, the good news is I don’t have to worry about you reaching me if you take a swing.

How much time did you get to spend at various ports with free time? Any? Interesting way to see the world (assuming peaceful times).

Farthest south I have is New Zealand but one of those Antarctica ships is on the bucket list.

Thank you for your service, BTW.
    Some ports were refueling only with one or two days for provisions, but some ports we would spend a week or two. Sometimes returning a couple of times, such as Naples (I took a 4 day weekend to tour Rome) and Villafrance. One or two week stays were (in no particular order, and probably some misspelled): Rio, Lima, Panama City, San Juan, Virgin Islands, Gitmo (yuck), Antwerp, Brest, Malaga, Edinburg, Barcelona, Halifax, Istanbul, many ports in the Caribbean, and probably a few others that I don’t recall of the top of my head.

The ships usually posted a list of blacklisted areas to avoid in some ports. I used these as my guide to “must see” areas. Liberty (free time) while in port was fairly abundant.

And you’re welcome for my service. I managed to have some fun and see some of the world despite being in during Nam. As you can see, as an East Coast sailor, I was never in danger (except for sailing through 1 hurricane and 3 tropical storms).

My special thanks goes to those who served and were in peril, and those who didn’t come home.

Yesterday I had my fall conference with the parents of a kid who’s new to my school this year, as a 7th grader. He’s been missing his friends and having a hard time feeling at home, but academically, he’s doing great…very smart kid with the right attitude. His parents asked him if he wanted to go back to his old school, and he said, “No, it would make wilson sad…I know he really cares about me and he would want me to stay here and keep trying.”
    So anyway, I suppose I spent my life well this week. 🥺

Furthest north: Oslo, Norway
    Furthest south: Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Furthest east: using Eastern time zone as center, Berlin
    Furthest west: Oahu

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yesterday I had my fall conference with the parents of a kid who’s new to my school this year, as a 7th grader. He’s been missing his friends and having a hard time feeling at home, but academically, he’s doing great…very smart kid with the right attitude. His parents asked him if he wanted to go back to his old school, and he said, “No, it would make wilson sad…I know he really cares about me and he would want me to stay here and keep trying.”
    Amazing. Hell of a job Wilson.

Well, if it does, the good news is I don’t have to worry about you reaching me if you take a swing.
    Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yes, you did! Way to go, Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post

My special thanks goes to those who served and were in peril, and those who didn’t come home.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Some ports were refueling only with one or two days for provisions, but some ports we would spend a week or two. Sometimes returning a couple of times, such as Naples (I took a 4 day weekend to tour Rome) and Villafrance. One or two week stays were (in no particular order, and probably some misspelled): Rio, Lima, Panama City, San Juan, Virgin Islands, Gitmo (yuck), Antwerp, Brest, Malaga, Edinburg, Barcelona, Halifax, Istanbul, many ports in the Caribbean, and probably a few others that I don’t recall of the top of my head.

The ships usually posted a list of blacklisted areas to avoid in some ports. I used these as my guide to “must see” areas. Liberty (free time) while in port was fairly abundant.

And you’re welcome for my service. I managed to have some fun and see some of the world despite being in during Nam. As you can see, as an East Coast sailor, I was never in danger (except for sailing through 1 hurricane and 3 tropical storms).

My stepfather was in Vietnam. Flew B-52s. I grew up seeing him walk around the house in his tightie whities and rolling my eyes. Took a while for it to set in what his 20s at war, flying missions, dropping bombs must have been like versus mine.