Page 1817 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 81713171717176718071815181618171818181918271867191723172817 ... LastLast
Results 36,321 to 36,340 of 67370
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I was given the title senior project manager because what I actually do - statistical analyst/programmer - has a much lower pay grade level for people who don't have PhDs. I only have a Master's degree. You can get paid more as a senior project manager if you only have a Master's degree. Back in the day, before my boss became division chief and had a much smaller research team, I actually did do a lot of project managery stuff. I don't anymore.

Maybe the job title is more clearly defined when you are doing research and the projects are fairly clearly defined with bullet point goals listed in the grant applications.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That is very funny. Could not spork. Also, points for using descend as the correct term for what consultants do.
    My work pals and I determined that the primary qualification and attribute of consultants is that they live at least 100 miles away...

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    No I think it is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    My work pals and I determined that the primary qualification and attribute of consultants is that they live at least 100 miles away...
    I've talked to enough consultants who think it's their job to "push" clients that I do believe it's part of the coaching to increase internal market size at some firms.

A company I worked for in the second half of the last decade went through one of the largest corporate mergers/spins in U.S. business history. It was not a pleasant time to work at the company, the least of which was because it felt like the merged unit, in the midst of a 4 year internal rearrangement to spin process, was like one of those giant dead bloated whales floating in the ocean and consultants and lawyers and agencies were just feasting on the carcass like all the critters in the ocean. Easily the most confusing, unorganized business environment I've been in but I think the bonuses of all the third parties involved must have been plum those years.

During the process, I was privy to a view of 2 of the businesses being prepared for spin and both of them must have been using the same consultants because all the executive townhalls started featuring the "we're going to be a new kind of XXXX company, closer to Google than XXXXX".

I'm also convinced the brand and ad consultants are essentially dusting off words and positioning and just re-packaging it for clients. In 2015, I moved from one F100 to a second F100 --- I swear, all the brand positioning BS they were each using was the exact same, just for different industries.

Blech.

I've talked to enough consultants who think it's their job to "push" clients that I do believe it's part of the coaching to increase internal market size at some firms.

A company I worked for in the second half of the last decade went through one of the largest corporate mergers/spins in U.S. business history. It was not a pleasant time to work at the company, the least of which was because it felt like the merged unit, in the midst of a 4 year internal rearrangement to spin process, was like one of those giant dead bloated whales floating in the ocean and consultants and lawyers and agencies were just feasting on the carcass like all the critters in the ocean. Easily the most confusing, unorganized business environment I've been in but I think the bonuses of all the third parties involved must have been plum those years.

During the process, I was privy to a view of 2 of the businesses being prepared for spin and both of them must have been using the same consultants because all the executive townhalls started featuring the "we're going to be a new kind of XXXX company, closer to Google than XXXXX".

I'm also convinced the brand and ad consultants are essentially dusting off words and positioning and just re-packaging it for clients. In 2015, I moved from one F100 to a second F100 --- I swear, all the brand positioning BS they were each using was the exact same, just for different industries.

Blech.
    My situation is weird because I am offering suggestions to doctors. They have the ultimate responsibility. My job is to offer options. I am very frustrating for someone looking for a recipe. I don't have one of those. I try to offer 3 or 4 things that might work and how to quantify if that change is or is not working. I LOVE it.

My situation is weird because I am offering suggestions to doctors. They have the ultimate responsibility. My job is to offer options. I am very frustrating for someone looking for a recipe. I don't have one of those. I try to offer 3 or 4 things that might work and how to quantify if that change is or is not working. I LOVE it.
    You're a PhD, not a MD, right? Or are you a MD? I think you said you worked directly with children for a long time in the intensive care units.

Doctors don't seem to like advice from non-doctors (imagine that!)

You're a PhD, not a MD, right? Or are you a MD? I think you said you worked directly with children for a long time in the intensive care units.

Doctors don't seem to like advice from non-doctors (imagine that!)
    I am a BA actually. What I have learned working with extremely smart people is that the truly intellectually gifted (and it's medicine, everyone is smart, some are incandescent) are excited to learn new things and are very welcoming of new ideas. Why wouldn't they be? After you share, the truly intelligent are going to understand it better than you do anyway. I work so well with these folks. I collect them and add them to my ever expanding group of friends. There are times I get talked down to because I am a respiratory therapist and not a MD. It happens, but not very frequently. I tell people up front, they'll know if I know what I'm talking about or not. It can't be faked.

I've been doing taxes the last hour or so and I am, uh - let's say, less than thrilled that my 2020 baby only got my $2K tax credit. I thought the government just threw money at you for procreating!!!

I guess our 529 contributions did drop our our state tax.

Disappointed to say the least and I'm going to have a hard talk with my toddler about pulling his weight around here.

I've been doing taxes the last hour or so and I am, uh - let's say, less than thrilled that my 2020 baby only got my $2K tax credit. I thought the government just threw money at you for procreating!!!

Disappointed to say the least and I'm going to have a hard talk with my toddler about pulling his weight around here.
    When I was his age I was working in a saw mill.

On second thought, didn't you have triplets?

I am a BA actually. What I have learned working with extremely smart people is that the truly intellectually gifted (and it's medicine, everyone is smart, some are incandescent) are excited to learn new things and are very welcoming of new ideas. Why wouldn't they be? After you share, the truly intelligent are going to understand it better than you do anyway. I work so well with these folks. I collect them and add them to my ever expanding group of friends. There are times I get talked down to because I am a respiratory therapist and not a MD. It happens, but not very frequently. I tell people up front, they'll know if I know what I'm talking about or not. It can't be faked.
    Sorry about that. Makes sense. Guess I was remembering a recent exchange in a group chat w/ my college buddies. One is a cardiac surgeon. One is a know-it-all. The cardiac surgeon was not one when I met him; the chip-on-his-shoulder, know-it-all was one when I met him. Anyway, in a recent group text COVID and the vaccine came up. The know-it-all texted his opinion. The cardiac surgeon responded, "thanks doctor xxx". The know-it-all responded that he scans the JAMAs.

It was met with silence but like one of those, "I can't believe you're that giant of an a**hole" silences.

When I was his age I was working in a saw mill.
    On second thought, didn't you have triplets?
    I like the cut of your respective jibs.

if I treat my dogs like children, why wouldn't the IRS agree?

if I treat my dogs like children, why wouldn't the IRS agree?
    And all their food like a job search deduction because my ambition is to be a 7-figure professional dog walker?

BTW, we were 2K behind the suds. We've made some ground up, only 1,400 back now. Really been coming on strong of late with the stream of consciousness non-sense. Well done thread.

I assumed LTE was the French or Latin acronym for stream of consciousness nonsense. Are we supposed to be talking about something?

I assumed LTE was the French or Latin acronym for stream of consciousness nonsense. Are we supposed to be talking about something?
    On occasion we wax poetic or nose up to the Rubicon and dip a toe in. We usually retreat to higher and sillier ground though.

On occasion we wax poetic or nose up to the Rubicon and dip a toe in. We usually retreat to higher and sillier ground though.
    Well I will talk about taking care of sick kids and babies and I make a ton of literature references. But I don't think I ever actually say anything.

BTW, we were 2K behind the suds. We've made some ground up, only 1,400 back now. Really been coming on strong of late with the stream of consciousness non-sense. Well done thread.
    I've actually been tracking/graphing this. I don't want to unveil it right now; jinxing and all that. Let's just say I like the way we're headed.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    I've actually been tracking/graphing this. I don't want to unveil it right now; jinxing and all that. Let's just say I like the way we're headed.
    I frigging love this board! That's amazing!

“Formula don’t grow on trees”