Page 1104 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 1046041004105410941102110311041105110611141154120416042104 ... LastLast
Results 22,061 to 22,080 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

This sounds intriguing:

3 Philosophers Blueberry Coffee Belgian Quadrupel- Brewery Ommegang
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Sylvan 2018 - Brewery Bhavana - 6.2% ABV -

From the bottle - "The 2nd iteration of this single barrel series comes from barrel 77, which waited in our wood cellar for nearly 2 years, slowly souring this deep, dark beer and unearthing notes of stone fruit, funk, and chocolate."

I must preface that I love sours. I'm a guy who gets the fries with vinegar at the fair and a southerner who prefers apple cider vinegar on my turnip greens.

If you also love dark sour beers, this is Fuse Category 1 (or was it Category 3, devildeac?) I think it was Category 1 - Holy Shnikeys - try this beer, get some! Loved it.

Pours like dark root beer.

I can taste the chocolate undertones which are subtle, but fun. There are definitely some kind of fruit notes. I don't even know what a stonefruit is - but I've evidently had it in lots of good beers. There is certainly funk, but I love it and it's complex. It tastes like balsamic vinegar throughout, tart in a good way to me, uniquely balanced, and not too overpowering IF you like sours.

I just don't have the discriminating palate of some of you, but Untapped suggests to me that these fruit notes include touch of tart cherry, tart plum flavors forward, oaky, and vinous finish. The power of suggestion is strong, and I would agree with all that nuance. Deep flavor. Bhavana makes great barrel-aged mixed fermentation beer!

I should add the bottle says Saison, but this is straight up sour. I thought I didn't think Saisons were my favorite. This tastes more like a funky sour than a saison IMO.
    What better reason than a Monday to crack open this advanced trader from Richard Jackson?
    Not much more I can add, and I will try 😀

And why am I continually surprised when beers I should anticipate as dark, pour dark?

Pours looking like cola, with a nose reminiscent of Rodenbach, fruity and pungent.

This tastes far more like an Oud Bruin to my palate than a saison (not a complaint!).

The nose gets a little woodsy after the first sip, a little bit astringent.

Great mouthfeel, and yet not dense. Silky.

Layers of dark fruit, cherry, plum and grape, are interwoven into a tapestry dominated by a subtle kind of sour.
    The sour is omnipresent, and yet not overpowering.
    Not sour patch kids sour, bright and scratchy; a smoother, more mellow punch.

Brewery Bhavana strikes again!
    Thanks richardjackson! 🍻

Top 100 American Wild Ales, aka sours, if anyone needs any additional suggestions for this Saturday's Virtual Pub:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/top-styles/171/

Feel free to include Belgian sours, too. Or Berliner Weisses.

From 10/5/16:

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Pale Ale-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Another trader from August West. Thanks!

I'm thinking I haven't had one of these in a decade or so because there are soooo many good ales brewed to try but the return visit of a good friend is always welcome. I've always thought of this as a PA than drinks like an IPA but no more because this is just a very good pale ale with IBUs of 38 (from memory) and ABV at 5.6% (from the label). Pour was a light copper with a modest head and piney scents and tastes accompanied by a bit of citrus from whole cone Cascade hops and bottle-conditioning (which I had forgotten). Burgers, ribs or brisket would make nice pairings with this.
    Always worth re-visiting:

Pale Ale-Sierra Nevada Brewing (family owned, operated and argued over)

Credit-Another August West trader again; thanks!
    Birthdate-(on back label) PKGD 07/22/19 1809
    Format-12 ounce bottle from a mixed 12 pack
    Appearance-above
    Nose-above
    Mouthfeel-bites above its IBUs
    Tastes-orange and pine; light caramel
    IBU-38
    Overall impression-a classic pale ale (see below)
    Ymm, Beer rating-solid cat 2 (name some other better pale ales beside this and DFH Shelter Pale Ale, if its still brewed)

The history:

"Heavy on hops, that was always the brewery plan. So in 1980, we loaded Pale Ale up with Cascade—a new hop at the time named after the mountain range—and the intense aromas of pine and citrus sparked the American craft beer revolution."

Mangotangelo - Casita Cerveceria - 8% - NEIPA

They call this a NEIPA, which is accurate, but I'd also call it kind of a hybrid with West Coast. The hops are Motueka, Cashmere, Idaho 7, and Medusa. For me the hops were pretty strong and bitter which was a little too much for me, overpowering the balance of this beer. But if you love a strong West Coast IPA flavor, and want a good beer that balances that well with hazy tropical fruits, this would be worth a try.

It's lightly hazy and golden with thin white head. Nose is tropical with lots of mango.

The beer has lots of fruit but is definitely not sweet, which is good. The flavor starts malt, mango (throughout), tangerine, papaya, fresh fruit, and finishing strong grapefruit. The bitter hoppy flavor is strong middle to finish and aftertaste. Medium mouthfeel. It's pulply with some fruit (like mango) which is fun. Overall good beer, very well-crafted beer, but the West Coast hop flavor wasn't for me. Fuse Category 2.

Thanks to Devildeac for this one! It was fun and beergoddess enjoyed smelling/tasting the mango/tangerine citrus. Alcohol was well hidden and I enjoyed it!
    Cowabunga! You're welcome.

Mangotangelo-Casita Cervecería

Credit-I actually bought a beer myself, and it was a 4 pack!
    Format-pint can
    Birthdate-Canned on 07/25/19 114355
    Style-DIPA on can; maybe better described as an imperial fruited NEIPA
    Appearance-d7f304071ec47abc149632506fee3f3e_640x640.jpg; a bit of chunk in the last 5-10 ml
    Aromas-tropical fruit salad
    Mouthfeel-several sips short of a smoothie; Osterized tropical fruit salad
    Tastes-RJ199 nailed it; some of the bitterness may be pith/rind/flesh from all the added fruits
    Adjuncts-mango, grapefruit and tangerine
    IBU-50ish
    ABV-8%
    Overall impression- a rather creative beer, about what I'd expect from another Casita Cerverceria one-off
    Ymm, Beer rating-probably a bit higher than RJ199 so I'll go high cat 2; very good but not outstanding/world class but worth the ~$4.50/16 ounces.

This sounds intriguing:

3 Philosophers Blueberry Coffee Belgian Quadrupel- Brewery Ommegang
    If the whole is as good as the sum of its parts, this should be a really good beer. If it's greater, watch out world!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Yeah Toast! Gizmo Brew Works - 5.8 % ABV - French Toast Brown Ale

Fun beer. It smells and tastes just like French toast. Maple syrup (bigtime) forward with a bready, smooth light mouthfeel. Notes of cinnamon and vanilla. It finished nice bread and dry. The balance is nice.

Strong Fuse Category 2. I love french toast, and this beer pulls it off with aplomb. Thanks Devildeac!
    Found this yesterday at that Amazon-owned hipster place off Miller Street where I sometimes grab a salad. Really fun beer, and I echo the strong Cat 2. It may become my go-to breakfast beer (because you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning).

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Found this yesterday at that Amazon-owned hipster place off Miller Street where I sometimes grab a salad. Really fun beer, and I echo the strong Cat 2. It may become my go-to breakfast beer (because you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning).
    Ok, you convinced me to open the Virtual Pub earlier than noon this Saturday. Stay tuned for some late AM/brunch specials...

Ok, you convinced me to open the Virtual Pub earlier than noon this Saturday. Stay tuned for some late AM/brunch specials...
    I'll be on the road in the Northeast, but will try to participate in some fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I'll be on the road in the Northeast, but will try to participate in some fashion.
    That'd be great. I can keep the doors open an extra hour or three that night, too, if that'll help. We'll be at the NC coast with some special guests and *might* get a couple other Ymm, Beer participants involved who will be in the area...

Beer name of the day?

Brut Suede Shoes IPA - Wrightsville Beach Brewery

Flipside Red IPA-Sierra Nevada Brewing Company

Credit-trader #2 from August West; thanks!
    Birthdate-PKGD 08/14/19 1655
    Format-12 ounce bottle
    Appearance-a beautiful dark reddish-amber with a modest, foamy, off white head
    Nose-grapefruit rind and juice; resin; orange rind
    Mouthfeel-moderate bitterness
    Tastes-caramel candy covered grapefruit and orange jellies; pine;
    Grains-Two-row Pale, Chocolate, Especial, Wheat
    Hops-Centennial, Simcoe, Bravo, Eureka, Idaho 7 (hence more citrus than pine/resin)
    IBU-55 (about as expected)
    ABV-6.2%
    Overall impression-a well executed, unusual IPA presentation
    Ymm, Beer rating-solid cat 2; good choice to include in their fall sampler

9th Anniversary-Fullsteam Brewery

Credit-all mine!
    Style-hazy IPA
    Format-pint can from a 4 pack; budwom got can#1 at the Pitt tailgate
    Freshness-you bet! 09/02/19 MPN 793
    Appearance-d9c96bc5813a4e9098b1cb8b9b468bae_640x640.jpg
    Aromas-Dole Orange Mango Pineapple Juice
    Mouthfeel-juicy but not pulpy
    Tastes-mango, orange, pineapple, pith, rind
    Grains-"Locally malted barley (Foundation), Carapils copper malt, Honey malt, Flaked oats"
    Hops-"Vic Secret, Citra, Amarillo" (ymm, Vic Secret)
    Yeast-"Omega DIPA Ale" (they musta not used *quite* enough yeast as it's not quite a DIPA )
    IBU-26
    ABV-7.4%
    Overall impression-what's not to like about a juicy, hazy IPA with the characters "9" and "F" on the label, even if the "F" is backwards
    Ymm, Beer rating-high cat 2; I've got 2 left, any takers?

I'll be searching for this one when it's released:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/article...werys-history/

Didn't know Dogfish Head had these plans:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/article...el-aged-beers/

Was someone discussing pies in another thread?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/article...orks-sloambic/

"...funky berry pie..."

Guessing RJ199 is resting up for his extensive tastings on Friday night and sour day on Saturday...

Torpedo Extra IPA-Sierra Nevada Brewing Company

Credit-August West; beer # 3 from Pitt game traders; thanks!
    Format-12 ounce bottle
    Appearance-clear, yellow-bronze; modest head
    Nose-pine, resin, grapefruit
    Mouthfeel-moderate bitterness
    Tastes-pine, resin, grapefruit rind and a bit of caramel
    Grains-Two-row Pale, Caramelized malts
    Hops-Crystal, Citra, Magnum (really no surprises given the West Coast IPA style)
    IBU-65
    ABV-7.2%
    Overall impression-fairly classic for the style
    Ymm, Beer rating-cat 2; a well done beer but I'm pretty tired of the style and prefer the hazy/juicy/fruited/NEIPA variants more now

From the MountainXpress:

Green Man Brewery hosts the grand opening for its newest taproom — dubbed The Dweller and located at 10 N. Market St. — on Friday, Oct. 25, at 1 p.m. To mark the occasion, the brewery will release bottles of Snozzberry (American Sour Ale Aged in Oak Barrels), Bootsy (American Sour Ale Aged in Oak Barrels), and Maceo (American Sour Dark Ale with Cherries).
    Can't wait to check this out!

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    From the MountainXpress:

Can't wait to check this out!
    They sound great.

Looks like you should buy all three and report back to us after 11 AM Saturday when I open the doors for Sour Day at the Ymm, Beer Virtual Pub.

(strong hint)

And, if you bought extra bottles of each, you could deliver to a tailgate if you attend one this year or when you visit family in the Triangle area again. I'm available...