Page 1094 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 94594994104410841092109310941095109611041144119415942094 ... LastLast
Results 21,861 to 21,880 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Black OPS 2015-Brooklyn Brewery

Credit-yours truly
    Format-corked and caged 750 ml bottle (reportedly)
    Style-BBA imperial stout (secret)
    Appearance-invisible; this beer does not exist according to the label which none of us could read in the twilight after multiple samples
    Nose-dark chocolate and bourbon
    Mouthfeel-smoother than a JJ Redick jumper
    Tastes-dark chocolate fudge, toasted coconut, black strap molasses, wood, bourbon and lots of it
    IBUs-probably 60 based on the style
    ABV-11.5%
    Overall impression-Outstanding combination of BBA and a traditional imperial stout
    Ymm, Beer rating-fuse cat 3; good luck finding it as it appears to be discontinued, but, if you do, buy one for now and another for aging
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Grand Cru-Evil Twin Brewing

Credit-accfanfrom1970; huuuge thanks!!
    Format-pint can
    Style-maple BBA imperial stout/barleywine style ale blend ()
    Appearance-motor oil; no head
    Aromas-syrup, dark chocolate, bourbon
    Mouthfeel-silky; viscous
    Tastes-dark chocolate maple fudge, drizzled generously with maple syrup
    IBUs-WAG of 70 given the blend
    ABV-12.5%
    Overall impression-outstanding execution of a complex concoction
    Ymm, Beer rating-fuse cat 3 easily; I'd seek this one out and buy a 4 pack and drink one every 6 months to see how it aged

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Grand Cru-Evil Twin Brewing

Credit-accfanfrom1970; huuuge thanks!!
    Format-pint can
    Style-maple BBA imperial stout/barleywine style ale blend ()
    Appearance-motor oil; no head
    Aromas-syrup, dark chocolate, bourbon
    Mouthfeel-silky; viscous
    Tastes-dark chocolate maple fudge, drizzled generously with maple syrup
    IBUs-WAG of 70 given the blend
    ABV-12.5%
    Overall impression-outstanding execution of a complex concoction
    Ymm, Beer rating-fuse cat 3 easily; I'd seek this one out and buy a 4 pack and drink one every 6 months to see how it aged
    After this beer, sample #8 and fortunately only about 3 ounce samples each as approximately 8 of us were sharing these monsters, palate fatigue is rapidly overtaking tasting and memory.

Continuing the reviews of Richmond tasty ales:

Merciless-The Veil Brewing Company

Credit-accfanfrom1970; Thanks!!
    Style-IIPA but really resembles a NEIIPA
    Format-pint can
    Canned on-09/02/19; fresh!!
    Stemware-large Ommegang tulip
    Appearance-cloudy pineapple-yellow; foamy, egg-white head
    Nose-tropical fruit salad blend
    Mouthfeel-juicy
    Tastes-an explosion of pineapple, grapefruit, papaya, orange and pith
    Hops-Citra, Galaxy, Simcoe, and Vic Secret
    Adjuncts-raw wheat, malted wheat, oats
    IBUs-50ish
    ABV-8%
    Overall impression-another excellent offering from Veil
    Ymm, Beer rating-easily fuse cat 2 but pretty close to a cat 3
    +1 on this review. IDon’tWantToBU3 is better, but this is a really good beer. I got a bit more dank funk to this one.

Worthy of Madison & Jefferson.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Beyond saying they were outstanding, not sure I can add much colour.

The raspberry sour was excellent.
    The ballpark 4% farmhouse was tasty and funky.
    The chamomile one was rushed, and complex and herbal in a really nice way.

There’s no doubt RJ199 wasn’t playing with his beer selections he brought to tailgate.
    Y'all gonna have to trust fuse and roll with me on this one and the following as the palate was about numb by this point:

Part & Parcel Belgian Saison-Jester King

Credit-RJ199; thanks!! (but this review will not do it justise-[sic])
    Format-caged and corked 750 ml bottle (?)
    Style-see fuse's note above
    Appearance-light straw
    Nose-barnyard funk
    Tastes-same
    IBU-not listed but probably 20ish
    ABV-4% (thanks, fuse!)
    Overall impression-this beer shoulda been first as the high gravity ales had done their work
    Ymm, Beer rating-fuse cat 2, upper tier

Many thanks to RJ199 for bringing and my apologies for not taking notes. I have a feeling I whiffed on a really fine ale here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    +1 on this review. IDon’tWantToBU3 is better, but this is a really good beer. I got a bit more dank funk to this one.

Worthy of Madison & Jefferson.
    I think the Merciless quartet probably set the four of us back a couple Hamiltons.

Correlation Wild Ale Sour-Jester King

Credit-RJ199; thanks again but my review will fall far short of the quality of this ale
    Style-sour
    Format-capped 750 ml bottle
    Appearance-936b00b9c1959dceae534cf9e0dbdbbd_640x640.jpg.That's the one!!!! I remember it now (barely)!!!!
    Nose-tart/sour/vinous
    Mouthfeel-tingly
    Tastes-gently spiced and vinous
    IBU-perhaps 20
    ABV-6.3%
    Overall impression-this shoulda been tasted early and not rushed as fused mentioned yesterday
    Ymm Beer rating-fuse cat 2, upper tier; may well have been a cat 3 after reading the description on Untappd:

"In late 2016, we came across some Gala apples grown in North Texas and decided to give them a try. We crushed 250 pounds and re-fermented the juice and pulp with a farmhouse ale brewed with well water, Texas-grown barley, rolled oats, honey malt, Golding hops, and a touch of chamomile. To our surprise, there was little to no noticeable sulfur production during this process. After refermentation, we sent the beer to freshly emptied Muscat wine barrels for long-term ageing!

This past spring, we emptied Correlation out of the Muscat wine barrels, and naturally refermented it in bottles and kegs. Our head brewer AVERIE SWANSON notes, “The beer is light, bright and spritzy, and presents with soft vanilla and some perceivable apple sweetness.”

I'd take a mulligan on this one any time. Apologies for not fully appreciating. Recalling the conversation:

Fuse: "I'm not opening this 750 unless I have several folks to share it with me."
    RJ199: "I'm in."
    August West: "Sure!"
    Accfanfrom1970: "Hell, yea"
    Devildeac: "Mumble, mumble; lemme have your glass, fuse and you can have what I don't finish."

American Promise-Fullsteam Brewery

Credit-budwom for whom I purchased this; he left about a half full can for anyone to finish (raises hand)
    Format-pint can
    Style-paw paw milkshake IPA
    Appearance-fruit smoothie
    Nose-paw paws ()
    Tastes-paw paws ()
    IBUs-shrugs
    ABV-7.something% (+/- 1%, IIRC)
    Overall impression-incomplete data on a wrecked palate
    Ymm, Beer rating-fuse cat 2, at least

I've got 3 more from the 4 pack so I promise another much better review of this later this month .

Misery Bay IPA-Erie Brewing Company

Traded 12 ounce bottle with a neighbor from his recent beer club mixed 12 pack.

Poured a light bronze with a modest, foamy head. Nose of pine and resin with tastes to match plus a bit of soap. IBU probably 50 with ABV listed at 6.5%. Decent pairing with a homemade black bean and corn quesadilla tonight. Fuse cat 1. Wouldn't recommend/re-visit. This is the kind of stuff I assume you get with mail order beer clubs. Not quite Ycch, Beer worthy but it was considered.

Happy 12th Birthday/Anniversary Ymm, Beer (that's probably about 84 years if measured by ABV ) and an annual thanks to DevilAlumna for starting this thread! Offer her a toast today as we begin the journey to #13.

Well, tis the season:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/top-styles/72/

How many have you sipped?

Yet another spectacular night cap from JackieO’s. Double Barrel Skipping Stone. Their Belgian style quad aged in bourbon barrels for a year! Then transferred into red wine barrels for another 8 months. 13.2% abv. If you like white wine and light beer, this is not for you. It’s like bourbon and chocolate and red wine got together for dessert. Pours dark brown, no foam. A bit of bourbon and chocolate on the nose, booze up front, but then a sweet hint of red wine on the finish. Truly spectacular. Cat3+. Anyone ever near Athens Ohio look them up and let me know so I can place an order. Their BBA high abv beers aren’t cheap, this was $12.99 for 12.7oz. But man is it good.

Tefnut-The Veil Brewing Company in collaboration with Omnipollo

Credit-accfanfrom1970; thanks!!
    Format-pint can
    Style-triple fruited imperial gose (although my Duke math skillz tell me apricot + passion fruit=double fruited (no third suspect found on-line)
    Stemware-large Ommegang tulip
    Appearance-(hint) it don't look like beer; apricot/carrot smoothie with some serious chunk and a head almost as thick as the beer
    Nose-apricot, passion fruit (I guess), papaya, pineapple
    Mouthfeel-pulpy; thick/viscous; "I coulda had a V8!"
    Tastes-same as the nose with some tart/sour tropical juices
    IBUs-10ish?
    ABV-11% (WTH? for a gose??)
    Overall impression-I thought this was a fantastic selection, even at $6.50 for my share of the quartet;
    Ymm, Beer rating-fuse cat 3, though I could see a downgrade to cat 2 if you think "it don't look, smell or taste like a beer!"

Veil's explanation from Untapped: "cosmic Imperial Gose in collaboration with Omnipollo. Each iteration of Tefnut features a different fruit treatment. We put our heads together with Omnipollo to reimagine what a fruit beer can be via new processes and fruit volumes."

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Yet another spectacular night cap from JackieO’s. Double Barrel Skipping Stone. Their Belgian style quad aged in bourbon barrels for a year! Then transferred into red wine barrels for another 8 months. 13.2% abv. If you like white wine and light beer, this is not for you. It’s like bourbon and chocolate and red wine got together for dessert. Pours dark brown, no foam. A bit of bourbon and chocolate on the nose, booze up front, but then a sweet hint of red wine on the finish. Truly spectacular. Cat3+. Anyone ever near Athens Ohio look them up and let me know so I can place an order. Their BBA high abv beers aren’t cheap, this was $12.99 for 12.7oz. But man is it good.
    First bolded: Sounds fabulous.

Second bolded: Hey, hey, hey now. I'm calling shenanigans on that one. Recent conversation (from memory):

dd: "hey, accfan, you want any Jackie O's from Columbus if I see some great-sounding stuff?"
    accfan: "Nah, my fridge is full as my sister and/or I bought a case of assorted Jackie O beers last month."

First bolded: Sounds fabulous.

Second bolded: Hey, hey, hey now. I'm calling shenanigans on that one. Recent conversation (from memory):

dd: "hey, accfan, you want any Jackie O's from Columbus if I see some great-sounding stuff?"
    accfan: "Nah, my fridge is full as my sister and/or I bought a case of assorted Jackie O beers last month."

Sort of. Only saw the pedestrian JackieO’s in Columbus, none of the really good stuff. Plus I was broke

[QUOTE=devildeac;1189697]Tefnut-The Veil Brewing Company in collaboration with Omnipollo

Overall impression-I thought this was a fantastic selection, even at $6.50 for my share of the quartet;
    Ymm, Beer rating-fuse cat 3, though I could see a downgrade to cat 2 if you think "it don't look, smell or taste like a beer.

Tefnut was the most unusual (and expensive) of the Richmond delivery, curious how the others feel. I just thought it was so tasty and unique I rolled the dice others would think so too. Glad you enjoyed it.

Sort of. Only saw the pedestrian JackieO’s in Columbus, none of the really good stuff. Plus I was broke
    It appears we'll be within several blocks of Jackie O's just off US 33 when we travel to/from Columbus next month. Start printing those Franklins again and compiling your order...

[QUOTE=accfanfrom1970;1189735]
    Tefnut-The Veil Brewing Company in collaboration with Omnipollo

Ymm, Beer rating-fuse cat 3, though I could see a downgrade to cat 2 if you think "it don't look, smell or taste like a beer.

Tefnut was the most unusual (and expensive) of the Richmond delivery, curious how the others feel. I just thought it was so tasty and unique I rolled the dice others would think so too. Glad you enjoyed it.
    I *think* Tripping William and RJ199 have yet to taste/review theirs. I am also very curious about their impressions.

When you consider $6.50 for a pint can, it sounds a bit spendy. However, it's 11% ABV so pricing is pretty reasonable. A local BBA coffee/cacao infused RIS, Collaboration Without Representation, is about $7 for a pint can and that's almost 13% ABV. Another couple brews from Casita Cerveceria, Querido y Perdido and Nutella, were also about $6/pint can for infused/flavored imperial stouts and both at 11+% ABV. Plus, if you get brews like that on draft, they're typically $7-8 for 8-10 ounces .

We interrupt this Saison-fest to bring you a DIPA from last PM:

Tomb-The Veil Brewing

Credit-accfanfrom1970; thanks!!
    Format-pint can
    Stamped on bottom of can-buncha dots; totally indecipherable for any letters and/or numbers
    Appearance-cloudy; brilliant yellow
    Nose-freshly squeezed pineapple/orange juice
    Mouthfeel-almost pulpy
    Tastes-cornucopia or pineapple, papaya, mango, orange, juicy bits (not *that* kind of juicy bits ), grapefruit and pine; mild rindy bitterness
    IBU-70 (WAG)
    ABV-9.9%; might be the highest ABV of any DIPA I've ever had (excluding 120 Minute IPA)
    Overall impression-outstanding beverage
    Ymm, Beer rating-Fuse cat 3 easily

Youze other guyz who have these should be very impressed.

Attachment 9804
    [QUOTE=devildeac;1189743]

I *think* Tripping William and RJ199 have yet to taste/review theirs. I am also very curious about their impressions.

When you consider $6.50 for a pint can, it sounds a bit spendy. However, it's 11% ABV so pricing is pretty reasonable. A local BBA coffee/cacao infused RIS, Collaboration Without Representation, is about $7 for a pint can and that's almost 13% ABV. Another couple brews from Casita Cerveceria, Querido y Perdido and Nutella, were also about $6/pint can for infused/flavored imperial stouts and both at 11+% ABV. Plus, if you get brews like that on draft, they're typically $7-8 for 8-10 ounces .
    Have not tasted Tefnut yet. But soon. Had Tomb last night instead. Did come away very impressed, as dd predicted. I found it to be a lot like Merciless, but with a kick. The high ABV level is really well-hidden in the citrus flavors. Maybe a little more dank than Merciless, too. Concur with dd's Cat 3 rating. Liked it a lot a lot.
    Last edited by Tripping William; 10-09-2019 at 08:35 AM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

It appears we'll be within several blocks of Jackie O's just off US 33 when we travel to/from Columbus next month. Start printing those Franklins again and compiling your order...
    They have a tap house downtown, and the brewery outside of town. For drafts and food hit the tap house, and they do sell some beers. But for the whole menu you have to go the the brewery. Or you can do what we did, shop downtown, eat and drink drafts at the tap house, then drive to the brewery and buy 24 various bottles at $12-14, all BBA and high abv.

I will be ordering, although my sister is coming in November so I may not be ordering as much if she brings some. Going to be a great Thanksgiving and Xmas.