Page 1767 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 76712671667171717571765176617671768176917771817186722672767 ... LastLast
Results 35,321 to 35,340 of 67649
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    And Alaskans say if Texas ever gets too uppity (I mean how much uppitier can they get, but whatever), they'll split Alaska in half and Texas will be the 3rd largest state.

-jk
    I don’t think most folks get how truly big Alaska is.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I don’t think most folks get how truly big Alaska is.
    Jack London.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    And Alaskans say if Texas ever gets too uppity (I mean how much uppitier can they get, but whatever), they'll split Alaska in half and Texas will be the 3rd largest state.

-jk
    All five of them?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Jack London.
    Edgar Rice Burroughs.

This is fun! (What are we doing?)

Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Nothing. Like always.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings!

I used to get, “oh, you’re from Texas, do you know so and so?”
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I get that more when meeting people from other countries. I mean, I get it if you're from Iceland, cause you probably do know so and so.
    I met someone at Duke who was from the Kansas City area. I asked her what part since I had lived there. It took a while to get her to tell me. When I went home the next time, I pulled out my 2nd grade class picture and could point her out. It really is a small world in many ways.

[B]

On a pound per pound basis, I'm betting the Texans are the bigger people. When I left Texas to go to Duke, I thought I'd stumbled onto a race of Hobbits so used to being surrounded by giant high schoolers was I...(I'm pretty sure that was an awful sentence but you get my drift).
    What part of Texas? I graduated HS in Texas - the school was in Spring, TX - the outskirts of Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I met someone at Duke who was from the Kansas City area. I asked her what part since I had lived there. It took a while to get her to tell me. When I went home the next time, I pulled out my 2nd grade class picture and could point her out. It really is a small world in many ways.
    On the first day of orientation, I ran into a good friend from 8th grade who I hadn’t been in touch with since then. We later met up with a woman who was a year behind us but skipped a grade and ended up in the same class at Duke. All from little old MacDonald Middle School in Fort Knox, KY.

What part of Texas? I graduated HS in Texas - the school was in Spring, TX - the outskirts of Houston.
    Along those lines, I have two coworkers I interact with who both went to the same HS in Texas and graduated from Austin. They are 20 years apart in age. But this is Texas so may not be that unusual.

The family joined up with my husband in the Summer of 2015 at the end of a conference he had at the University of Warwick (located in Coventry, it's named for Warkwickshire, the county, and not Warwick, the city). We spent another 10 days traveling around Warwickshire and the Cotswolds. One afternoon, waiting for dinner service to open, we found a pub that served a limited menu of snacks in the afternoon. It's not really a small world story, because we didn't know the young couple already, but, we did manage to sit down next to an American couple and their baby in a pub in Stow on the Wold. Upon hearing the accents, we struck up a conversation. At some point, the young man asked my husband what he did. Physics professor. Where? Harvard. And the young man shook the hubby's hand. I said to my sons, "See, I told you so, your dad IS impressive to other people."

It was later on this same trip that the infamous "Mom had too much wine" incident occurred. I think I told that story before. I had determined that I was going to finish one glass of wine, darn it, and the waiter kept refilling my glass before I could empty it. I didn't do anything embarrassing, unless you are my children and are not used to the Southern accent coming out in full force. I never attempted to lose my accent and I have some friends up here who tell me that I haven't actually lost it, but I have just as many who look at me when I say I'm from NC and wonder where the accent went. I have three responses to the remark, "You don't have a Southern accent." 1) Yes, but I have INsurance. 2) Just give me 3 glasses of wine. 3) Wait until I call my mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    The family joined up with my husband in the Summer of 2015 at the end of a conference he had at the University of Warwick (located in Coventry, it's named for Warkwickshire, the county, and not Warwick, the city). We spent another 10 days traveling around Warwickshire and the Cotswolds. One afternoon, waiting for dinner service to open, we found a pub that served a limited menu of snacks in the afternoon. It's not really a small world story, because we didn't know the young couple already, but, we did manage to sit down next to an American couple and their baby in a pub in Stow on the Wold. Upon hearing the accents, we struck up a conversation. At some point, the young man asked my husband what he did. Physics professor. Where? Harvard. And the young man shook the hubby's hand. I said to my sons, "See, I told you so, your dad IS impressive to other people."

It was later on this same trip that the infamous "Mom had too much wine" incident occurred. I think I told that story before. I had determined that I was going to finish one glass of wine, darn it, and the waiter kept refilling my glass before I could empty it. I didn't do anything embarrassing, unless you are my children and are not used to the Southern accent coming out in full force. I never attempted to lose my accent and I have some friends up here who tell me that I haven't actually lost it, but I have just as many who look at me when I say I'm from NC and wonder where the accent went. I have three responses to the remark, "You don't have a Southern accent." 1) Yes, but I have INsurance. 2) Just give me 3 glasses of wine. 3) Wait until I call my mother.
    My roommate second year was from Whiteville, NC. He could speak to his parents on the phone with an accent and then immediately say something to me in nearly the same breath without it. More impressive to me was the 2 year old who tried to speak to me in Mandarin, but noting my lack of comprehension switched to English without prompting.

Ah. I was born in Clearlake outside of Houston but raised in the Dallas-FW area.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    My roommate second year was from Whiteville, NC. He could speak to his parents on the phone with an accent and then immediately say something to me in nearly the same breath without it. More impressive to me was the 2 year old who tried to speak to me in Mandarin, but noting my lack of comprehension switched to English without prompting.
    My parents were visiting one time when I was having a rehearsal for one of my 10 minute plays at the house. I asked the actor if they would let my parents watch a run through since they wouldn't be around for the actual show. The actors said were fine with that, however, as I was talking to them then turning and talking to my parents, one of the actors stopped me. She told me it was surreal, I was speaking to them as what she consider normal Lisa then turning to my parents and speaking as Southern Lisa.

I'm impressed with that 2 year-old too!

Ah. I was born in Clearlake outside of Houston but raised in the Dallas-FW area.
    I was only there 3 years - final 2 of HS and first of college - moved 7 times before I graduated from college. Came back to KC area and have been here ever since.

Where'd everyone go?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Where'd everyone go?
    I’m just waiting for takeout.

In the 70's I lived in Clear Lake for a year, while working for NASA. My brother and nephew lived there as well (well El Lago) and my great niece later lived there after they moved away. After my nephew graduated from Clear Lake High School he later moved to Hillsborough, NC while his daughter reversed the order, first living in Hillsborough and later graduating from Clear Lake HS. Small world indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    In the 70's I lived in Clear Lake for a year, while working for NASA. My brother and nephew lived there as well (well El Lago) and my great niece later lived there after they moved away. After my nephew graduated from Clear Lake High School he later moved to Hillsborough, NC while his daughter reversed the order, first living in Hillsborough and later graduating from Clear Lake HS. Small world indeed.
    I still wouldn't want to have to walk around it in 80 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post

So, you are a rocket scientist!