Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Name some favorite coaches

I just read this article on Hubie Brown, and it made me wonder if people on the board had some favorite coaches, and why.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/sports/hubie-brown.html?action=click&module=Editors%20Picks&pgt ype=Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I just read this article on Hubie Brown, and it made me wonder if people on the board had some favorite coaches, and why.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/s...gtype=Homepage
    I got to know Hubie very well writing for the Chronicle way back when ....amazing career trajectory, he was still a high school coach in his thirties, did not seem headed anywhere noteworthy, then a year at Bill and Mary, some time at Duke, and soon he's coaching Kareem and Oscar and on his way to a Hall of Fame career. And how 'bout Ted Turner wanting him as the Braves manager?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I got to know Hubie very well writing for the Chronicle way back when ...amazing career trajectory, he was still a high school coach in his thirties, did not seem headed anywhere noteworthy, then a year at Bill and Mary, some time at Duke, and soon he's coaching Kareem and Oscar and on his way to a Hall of Fame career. And how 'bout Ted Turner wanting him as the Braves manager?
    And now considered one of the all time great TV analysts/color men...in his 80s I think. A spectacular and singular career arc.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I got to know Hubie very well writing for the Chronicle way back when ...amazing career trajectory, he was still a high school coach in his thirties, did not seem headed anywhere noteworthy, then a year at Bill and Mary, some time at Duke, and soon he's coaching Kareem and Oscar and on his way to a Hall of Fame career. And how 'bout Ted Turner wanting him as the Braves manager?
    And I love is Irish accent.

gotta love Hubie's quote, in response to the question of how long he'll work, that he'll keep working until Verne Lundquist dies.

Hubie and his wife used to smuggle me into THE (emphasis) ACC Tournament party each year, which was definitely the social event of the Carolinas and vicinity...place thick with governors, senators, university presidents, high rollers...plus they had real booze you didn't have to carry around in your own sack like some kind of sad hobo.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    And now considered one of the all time great TV analysts/color men...in his 80s I think. A spectacular and singular career arc.
    Hubie Brown DOB -- September 25, 1933
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I really enjoyed Matt Doherty's tenure at unCheat.

I like Pop and Kerr in the NBA (enough people will say Brad Stevens) and Mark Few in college.

Bobby Cremins. His teams were fun to watch but mainly I loved Bobby's on-court and off-court demeanor. I can't remember seeing him ever get angry.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I really like Bob McKillop at Davidson...probably deserved a shot at the big time...well, definitely did. Steph gives him so much credit for his success. That's not a bad legacy.

Greg Marshall at Wichita is a great coach, and was at Winthrop.

And I'm a big Brad Stevens fan, and would not be heartbroken if, say, the egos of the NBA players start to grate on him about the time it does appear K is going to shut it down. Just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I really like Bob McKillop at Davidson...probably deserved a shot at the big time...well, definitely did. Steph gives him so much credit for his success. That's not a bad legacy...
    I really agree with this one. I think he has had shots to leave but he is happy at Davidson. I like Mark Few and the same can be said. He could have left but he was happy where he was. Someone mentioned Cremins..I really liked him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I really agree with this one. I think he has had shots to leave but he is happy at Davidson. I like Mark Few and the same can be said. He could have left but he was happy where he was. Someone mentioned Cremins..I really liked him as well.
    I'll second or third McKillop. Being both a Davidson and Duke grad I'm doubly thrilled that McK and K each found a home at the respective institutions. Both have had chances to move "up", but both seem happy where they are.

Davidson and Duke are lucky to have them.

Lefty...

His Duke pedigree, his sense of humor, his ability to build strong programs and he always looked like he was having fun.

My favorite coach, next to K, of course.

hud

Bobby Cremins was the most media-friendly men's hoops coach in ACC history. The least pretentious. The most approachable.

Mike Brey is close.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I really enjoyed Matt Doherty's tenure at unCheat.

I like Pop and Kerr in the NBA (enough people will say Brad Stevens) and Mark Few in college.
    Ha, and let's not forget Gut, who somehow squandered a national title in the Final Four vs Majerus and Utah...that team had Carter and Jamison, Utah had Andre Miller and little else...plus he recruited the dream backcourt of Boone and Morrison, to accompany Fing, did he not (memory a tad hazy on that one, too lazy to look it up...but it sounds good)?

Dividing this up by sport and time and avoiding coaches of teams I root for

NFL: now: Bill Belichick, past: Joe Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson
    NBA: Kerr, Pop. past: Lenny Wilkens
    College: now: Gregg Marshall, Mike Brey past: John Thompson, Jerry Tarkanian, Al McGuire
    Women's hoops: Pat Head Summitt, Gail Goestenkors
    College football: Bobby Bowden, Tom Osborne (past)
    MLB: Whitey Herzog (past)...don't follow enough anymore to pick a current guy.
    Last edited by chris13; 06-10-2019 at 12:45 PM.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Okay, I am going to be Captain Obvious here and say Jim Valvano. He was a quote machine and his time at ESPN with Dickie V in the studio was actually a lot of fun. He was one of a kind.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Also noteworthy - Al McGuire and Jerry Tarkanian (what did Tark and Guy Lewis have against towels?). They were always fun to listen to and of course Al was terrific as a color commentator.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Okay, I am going to be Captain Obvious here and say Jim Valvano. He was a quote machine and his time at ESPN with Dickie V in the studio was actually a lot of fun. He was one of a kind.
    He was, and he played the NC press like a fiddle with his Italian schtick...it was a bit weird, but he was affable and everyone sucked it up smartly. Like an exotic species migrating down below the Mason-Winn Dixie Line.

Al McGuire is a great one, and the Frank Deford SI profile on him is essential reading
    https://www.si.com/vault/1976/11/29/...e-to-his-world

"If the waitress has dirty ankles, the chili will be good."

Thinking of Al just makes me think of the guys who were real characters, either intentionally or unintentionally

Rick Majerus
    https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...16/majerus0121

Buzz Williams
    https://theathletic.com/990151/2019/...buzz-williams/ ($$$$$)

Frank Layden
    https://www.si.com/vault/1985/12/16/...wonderful-life

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I agree with McKillop and Few. I will add Jay Wright to the list - he seems like a good guy who runs a very successful program.