Page 770 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 27067072076076876977077177278082087012701770 ... LastLast
Results 15,381 to 15,400 of 67650
    Quote Originally Posted by ynotme32 View Post
    did anyone ever figure out how much wood those woodchuck's could chuck, if they actually could chuck wood?
    I think it is about the same amount of ground that a groundhog grinds, if a groundhog could grind ground.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I think it is about the same amount of ground that a groundhog grinds, if a groundhog could grind ground.

Groundhogs make crappy weathermen...or weatherrodents or whatever...

I was watching How I Met Your Mother reruns last night, and they referred to Ted, the main character, dating a girl named Mia PLUMLEE.

Mia

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    I was watching How I Met Your Mother reruns last night, and they referred to Ted, the main character, dating a girl named Mia PLUMLEE.
    She's probably too tall for him.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    Notify Coach P....there's another Plumlee out there!

Quote Originally Posted by ynotme32 View Post
    did anyone ever figure out how much wood those woodchuck's could chuck, if they actually could chuck wood?
    42. Per Douglas Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    42. Per Douglas Adams.
    Conversion to cinderblocks?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Wow, over 2 weeks without a post in the LTE.

Anyhoo, my 1L finals start tomorrow. I don't think scared adequately sums it up. Then law review write on for 10 days and maybe trial advocacy tryouts...

Yep, my midlife crisis. Why didn't I just by a fancy car? It would've been cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post

Anyhoo, my 1L finals start tomorrow. I don't think scared adequately sums it up. Then law review write on for 10 days and maybe trial advocacy tryouts...

Yep, my midlife crisis. Why didn't I just by a fancy car? It would've been cheaper.

Ulcers become like old friends. Embrace the agony.

(and good luck!)

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post

But not as rewarding. You'll do great!

It's always fun, 2 days before an exam, when you realize exactly how much you don't know...

Bragging aunt time - again!

Nephew Alex graduated from Penn State School of Engineering last night - with high distinction! I'm very proud of him.

Social Security Question

I wonder if anyone could confirm this. I know we have a few oldies such as I.

I starting taking Social Security benefits at full retirement age.

Mrs. SoCal has not begun taking benefits and will hit full retirement age next year.

We were debating wheter or not to start taking benefits at full retirement.
    She has plenty of credits on her own.

I just read that a spouse at full retirement can start with the spousal benefit, 1/2 of mine, and then at a later date switch to her benefit, which would have grown at 8% per year past full retirement age.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

Mrs. SoCal has not begun taking benefits and will hit full retirement age next year.

I just read that a spouse at full retirement can start with the spousal benefit, 1/2 of mine, and then at a later date switch to her benefit, which would have grown at 8% per year past full retirement age.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks
    SoCal
    I did something a bit like what you described to maximize my own benefits. My sister considered it, but didn't meet some of the criteria. Whether your wife may elect at this time to be paid based on your work record depends on a variety of factors. I recommend making an appointment for a phone conference with someone from Social Security... can be set up online or by phone... to get the information related to your own situation.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks
    SoCal
    Bad news, SoCal. Her survivor benefit is after you die. Right now, she's on her own earnings record. So, please don't trigger the dreaded "survivor's benefit." -- sagegrouse

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks
    SoCal
    The best thing for anybody getting ready for collecting Social Security retirement benefits is to go to your nearest Social Security office, and ask them your questions. In my experience they are the most helpful Federal agency I have ever dealt with.

I don't know what you mean by full retirement. If you mean at age 65 then you need to know that there is another retirement option at age 70 which turns out to be pretty close to double what you would collect at age 65. If you can get by financially it is a no-brainer to wait. In either event be sure to sign up for Medicare at age 65.

Benefits paid by Soc Security

It is true you can choose not to use "your" retirement benefits, but instead let them grow and collect spousal benefits instead....but only if your spouse is first deceased.

Full retirement age is when you can collect 100% of your benefits. For people recently joining the Medicare pool (occurs on first day of the month of your 65th birthday), their full retirement age is 66. While you can collect Social Security benefits once you reach age 62, the benefits you receive are permanently reduced by around 25% on a sliding scale that reaches zero at your full retirement age.

Reference: http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/retirechart.htm

On the other side of the coin, you can defer collecting any benefits up to age 70, and then you will receive >100% of your "full retirement benefits." But you are definitely rolling the dice, dependent upon overall health and to a certain extent...luck!

k

Finding answers to the question you asked would best be made by meeting with someone from Social Security who can review your work records and your wife's. Another component is very important: meet with your CPA to discuss and understand the financial ramifications of the various possibles which may be available. Having a depth of good information is priceless when making a once in a life time decision such as when to start Social Security.

Thanks

For all your comments.

We will certainlyl visit the Social Security office and get questions answered before making any decision.

When I look at various websites that seem to know what they are talking about, and also the LA Times article I read that got me thinking about all this,l I see nothing about my death being a factor.

http://moneyover55.about.com/od/soci...usebenefit.htm says

"After you reach full retirement age, you can choose to receive only the spouse’s benefit, and delay receiving your retirement benefits until a later date, allowing you to receive a higher benefit later based on the effect of delayed retirement credits."

and from the Social Security web site

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/retire...pouse.htm#a0=1

"If your spouse has reached full retirement age and is eligible for a spouse's benefit and his or her own retirement benefit, he or she has a choice. Your spouse can choose to receive only the spouse's benefit when he or she applies online and delay receiving retirement benefits until a later date. If retirement benefits are delayed, a higher benefit may be received at a later date based on the effect of delayed retirement credits."

Thanks again and don't worry we will vist the Social Security office before making a decision.

SoCal

For all your comments.

We will certainlyl visit the Social Security office and get questions answered before making any decision.

When I look at various websites that seem to know what they are talking about, and also the LA Times article I read that got me thinking about all this,l I see nothing about my death being a factor.

http://moneyover55.about.com/od/soci...usebenefit.htm says

"After you reach full retirement age, you can choose to receive only the spouse’s benefit, and delay receiving your retirement benefits until a later date, allowing you to receive a higher benefit later based on the effect of delayed retirement credits."

and from the Social Security web site

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/retire...pouse.htm#a0=1

"If your spouse has reached full retirement age and is eligible for a spouse's benefit and his or her own retirement benefit, he or she has a choice. Your spouse can choose to receive only the spouse's benefit when he or she applies online and delay receiving retirement benefits until a later date. If retirement benefits are delayed, a higher benefit may be received at a later date based on the effect of delayed retirement credits."

Thanks again and don't worry we will vist the Social Security office before making a decision.

SoCal
    I found that the input from my CPA was extremely helpful in navigating the best choice for me based on the possibilities available to me.