Page 2357 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 135718572257230723472355235623572358235923672407245728573357 ... LastLast
Results 47,121 to 47,140 of 67385
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Did it?
    Not particularly, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Not particularly, no.
    Certainly gave us plenty discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Did it?
    Certainly on the narrative front. TBD on other fronts.

I'm uncomfortable discussing this topic. Which is ironic considering my previous topics.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I'm uncomfortable discussing this topic. Which is ironic considering my previous topics.
    What topic? What are we talking about? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    What topic? What are we talking about? I'm confused.
    Go to the sports side.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Go to the sports side.
    What’s that?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    What’s that?
    Right.
    I told myself throughout the offseason that, this being K's last season at the helm, I'd really make time and space for the games, but so far I still just haven't watched any.

Going on a bit of a rant here

Yes, this branches off from "that other topic" being discussed right now.

I am tired of this whole "Kids being kids" argument. I think this is just giving teens a continuous pass to act unnecessarily stupid. I think more should be demanded from them instead of less expected.

Case in point: our local Nextdoor boards are often talking about witnessing reckless driving especially on certain roads. One being the Morrisville Parkway in western Wake County. I have seen many people post, "It's just a matter of time before someone gets killed." Well, guess what? Early Sunday morning (1:15am) five teens were in an accident. 17 yo girl driving drunk, 80 mph on a 35mph winding road. She was the only one wearing a seatbelt. Miraculously, only one boy was killed. Everyone mourning the loss, saying It's gotta stop! Until the next time.

When I was in high school, a 16 yo got a brand new Mustang convertible from Daddy. Went to a party, crashed on a winding road, killing her instantly, permanently injuring her best friend and scaring the daylights out of a boy in the back seat. Three months later, her best friend was at another party, still in her stabilizing halo, sitting on her boyfriend's lap drinking a beer.

Maybe there is some merit to not giving driver's licenses to teens. If they're that stupid, sorry, Kid-like, then make them wait until they are older. Nothing else seems to get through to them.

Ok, I'm done now.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post

I am tired of this whole "Kids being kids" argument. I think this is just giving teens a continuous pass to act unnecessarily stupid. I think more should be demanded from them instead of less expected.

Case in point: our local Nextdoor boards are often talking about witnessing reckless driving especially on certain roads. One being the Morrisville Parkway in western Wake County. I have seen many people post, "It's just a matter of time before someone gets killed." Well, guess what? Early Sunday morning (1:15am) five teens were in an accident. 17 yo girl driving drunk, 80 mph on a 35mph winding road. She was the only one wearing a seatbelt. Miraculously, only one boy was killed. Everyone mourning the loss, saying It's gotta stop! Until the next time.

When I was in high school, a 16 yo got a brand new Mustang convertible from Daddy. Went to a party, crashed on a winding road, killing her instantly, permanently injuring her best friend and scaring the daylights out of a boy in the back seat. Three months later, her best friend was at another party, still in her stabilizing halo, sitting on her boyfriend's lap drinking a beer.

Maybe there is some merit to not giving driver's licenses to teens. If they're that stupid, sorry, Kid-like, then make them wait until they are older. Nothing else seems to get through to them.

Ok, I'm done now.
    I agree. There are some states where there is no driver's education and teens get their license at 14. Seems crazy to me.

The little silica particles in toothpaste is big business.

Ok, I'm done now.
    To me, the kids being kids has to do with the extent of punishment and is not an excuse for no punishment. If there is no punishment, nothing is learned. Punishment level is also different if it is a first time offense versus second, third, fourth, etc. Just lucky that there were no physical injuries or property damage involved.

Education about the use of alcohol starts in the home, in my mind, and shouldn't depend on the laws regarding drinking teaching people.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    To me, the kids being kids has to do with the extent of punishment and is not an excuse for no punishment. If there is no punishment, nothing is learned. Punishment level is also different if it is a first time offense versus second, third, fourth, etc. Just lucky that there were no physical injuries or property damage involved.

Education about the use of alcohol starts in the home, in my mind, and shouldn't depend on the laws regarding drinking teaching people.
    Completely agree! And unfortunately, the education kids get about alcohol in their home comes from the examples their parents are setting. Maybe that's why some parents are lax when it comes to alcohol, b/c it makes them look like hypocrites!

Completely agree! And unfortunately, the education kids get about alcohol in their home comes from the examples their parents are setting. Maybe that's why some parents are lax when it comes to alcohol, b/c it makes them look like hypocrites!
    It can, of course, work the other way. I lived overseas from age 9 to 16. I saw some excessive drinking with loss of control (all had drivers or the parties were in the neighborhood so no DWI issues) that I was convinced I didn't want to ever be in that condition. Also, my parents suggested I go to the bars with my sister one night. I couldn't figure out how they did that every weekend as I would rather stay home with a book. (It does say nerd on my forehead.)

Since drinking wasn't forbidden, it wasn't a new thing when I went to college so no binge drinking for me.

Certainly on the narrative front. TBD on other fronts.
    Guess it is no longer TBD on other fronts.

Early morning post. That's all I've gotl

You know that feeling you have when you get too much sleep? Yeah. Me neither.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    It can, of course, work the other way. I lived overseas from age 9 to 16. I saw some excessive drinking with loss of control (all had drivers or the parties were in the neighborhood so no DWI issues) that I was convinced I didn't want to ever be in that condition. Also, my parents suggested I go to the bars with my sister one night. I couldn't figure out how they did that every weekend as I would rather stay home with a book. (It does say nerd on my forehead.)

Since drinking wasn't forbidden, it wasn't a new thing when I went to college so no binge drinking for me.
    I can see my niece and nephew going two different ways coming from the same household. My brother and sister have drinks probably daily, but not to excess. I can see my niece being a partier while my nephew seems to have no interest, and he is a sophomore in college.

Fussy britches

Fussy britches
    Sounds like time for a diet.