Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Duke v Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Lunch and dinner Saturday:

Lunch(shared platter)-pulled pork platter, double mac n cheese, cornbread was very tasty with moist smoky pork and a few burnt ends, mac n cheese almost as good as Mrs. dd's with a thick, crusty browned cheese cap and cornbread a bit on the dry side but still very good.

Dinner-sliced brisket, pulled chicken, green beans, more mac n cheese and 'nana pudding. Brisket was moist, smoky and almost melt in your mouth. Green beans with a few slivers of country ham and just salty enough to be really good. Mac n cheese-see above. Mrs. dd's 'nana pudding is better-this one could've used a few more 'nana slices but it was still worth a double (well, maybe triple) serving .

I'd certainly visit their brick and mortar joint some time at exit 319 on I-40.
    Sounds very heart healthy!!!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Lunch and dinner Saturday:

Lunch(shared platter)-pulled pork platter, double mac n cheese, cornbread was very tasty with moist smoky pork and a few burnt ends, mac n cheese almost as good as Mrs. dd's with a thick, crusty browned cheese cap and cornbread a bit on the dry side but still very good.

Dinner-sliced brisket, pulled chicken, green beans, more mac n cheese and 'nana pudding. Brisket was moist, smoky and almost melt in your mouth. Green beans with a few slivers of country ham and just salty enough to be really good. Mac n cheese-see above. Mrs. dd's 'nana pudding is better-this one could've used a few more 'nana slices but it was still worth a double (well, maybe triple) serving .

I'd certainly visit their brick and mortar joint some time at exit 319 on I-40.
    Was this from their food truck?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Sounds very heart healthy!!!
    Ha! We ate "small" and actually made the lunch platter last 4 meals, adding some fairly healthy slaw (not too much mayo) on Sunday evening. The dinner was included for both of us Saturday evening as part of an event package so we ate well, but not *too* well.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Was this from their food truck?
    The lunch was from the food truck. I suspect they returned to the "lab" in Benson from north Raleigh where our event took place and brought back all the large trays of brisket, chicken, beans, mac n cheese, corn bread and pudding for the evening meal
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

For burnt ends, the Smoke Pit in Salisbury is excellent! It’s on Innes St. about a 1/2 mile west of I-85 on the left side of the street.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Whatever happened to the Duke vs. Kentucky thread on the EK Board? Couldn't find it.

13 hour drive each way to gymnastics meet.
    Wouldn't you want some Cue?
    Wait, is that a misprint? THIRTEEN-HOUR drive for gymnastics??? Not that there’s anything wrong with gymnastics, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Wait, is that a misprint? THIRTEEN-HOUR drive for gymnastics??? Not that there’s anything wrong with gymnastics, but...
    “All back roads and small towns”

Of course in Montana and Texas, that’s just “heading down a pace” to the neighbor’s house.

Responding to some old posts I missed the first time around, because I don't have anything else to do:

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Love The Pig. In Durham, Picnic is great, whole hog over wood. The Pit despite being somewhat more polished has great 'cue, brisket, smoked wings and sides. Bonus is that since parking in that area is tough they have valet parking. DD mentioned Backyard BBQ - I like them well enough but it's been a couple of years for me, too, and is quite down-scale. Meat is featured but sides and ambiance are lacking.
    What sides are you missing at Backyard BBQ? Greens, Mac N Cheese, and fried okra are all tasty.

Fair enough about the ambiance, but I usually don't dine in when I eat at Backyard. In terms of the food it self, I heartily second the recommendation made earlier. Definitely the best in Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Bullocks belongs in the “emergency barbecue” category. As in, only go if that’s your only choice due to time/logistical reasons. Yes, it’s nostalgic for those of us who went while we were in school. But it really isn’t very good. Certainly not when compared to the likes of Backyard BBQ or even Qshack.

I also agree with this. In defense of Bullocks and people who like it, it really did used to be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Responding to some old posts I missed the first time around, because I don't have anything else to do:

What sides are you missing at Backyard BBQ? Greens, Mac N Cheese, and fried okra are all tasty.

Fair enough about the ambiance, but I usually don't dine in when I eat at Backyard. In terms of the food it self, I heartily second the recommendation made earlier. Definitely the best in Durham.

I also agree with this. In defense of Bullocks and people who like it, it really did used to be much better.
    To give you an idea how good bullocks was. I was in there in the early 2000s in the fall right after basketball season started and saw the unc basketball coaching staff having dinner. That is either a brave group or good bbq

Dc bbq

Good article about takeout BBQ options in the DC area. I may have to get carryout from Krazy Steve's Comfort Cuisine soon. https://www.washingtonpost.com/going...63d_story.html

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Good article about takeout BBQ options in the DC area. I may have to get carryout from Krazy Steve's Comfort Cuisine soon. https://www.washingtonpost.com/going...63d_story.html
    Might have to check out Krazy Steve. Thanks for the article. I typically find DCQ to be just above average.

Wilbur's is hopefully re-opening - https://www.wral.com/wilbers-barbecu...rant/18761284/

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Might have to check out Krazy Steve. Thanks for the article. I typically find DCQ to be just above average.

Wilbur's is hopefully re-opening - https://www.wral.com/wilbers-barbecu...rant/18761284/
    Bad timing to open a restaurant but I’ll get by there as soon as I can get back out on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Bad timing to open a restaurant but I’ll get by there as soon as I can get back out on the road.
    Wilbers got a ton of beach traffic, but the new US 70 Bypass did indeed bypass Wilbers. I don't imagine that helped their cash flow and will hurt going forward. And as a Wayne County native for 40 years, and feeling disloyal for even typing this, the BBQ wasn't all that good in the first place. The defunct Scotts and the defunct Griffiths both had far better BBQ, which fact was known to the locals, but these restaurants were inconvenient for travelers to get to.

Now for some serious heresy. In Goldsboro (and elsewhere), the SCNB franchise restaurants have better BBQ than Wilbers ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Wilbers got a ton of beach traffic, but the new US 70 Bypass did indeed bypass Wilbers. I don't imagine that helped their cash flow and will hurt going forward. And as a Wayne County native for 40 years, and feeling disloyal for even typing this, the BBQ wasn't all that good in the first place. The defunct Scotts and the defunct Griffiths both had far better BBQ, which fact was known to the locals, but these restaurants were inconvenient for travelers to get to.

Now for some serious heresy. In Goldsboro (and elsewhere), the SCNB franchise restaurants have better BBQ than Wilbers ever did.
    I didn’t know that South Carolina National Bank sold bbq! Ok, just kidding. I’ve always liked ‘Cue from Smithfield’s Chicken N BBQ, like their fried chicken, too. DukeTaylor would have me bring him quarts of it when he came to games.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I didn’t know that South Carolina National Bank sold bbq! Ok, just kidding. I’ve always liked ‘Cue from Smithfield’s Chicken N BBQ, like their fried chicken, too. DukeTaylor would have me bring him quarts of it when he came to games.
    Smithfield's is just fine, it just isn't anything special. Its no better than, say, the BBQ sandwich at Cook Out. A decent sandwich, but not something I would recommend if someone wanted to try good NC pork.

Smithfield's is just fine, it just isn't anything special. Its no better than, say, the BBQ sandwich at Cook Out. A decent sandwich, but not something I would recommend if someone wanted to try good NC pork.
    Ummm, Cook Out is a very low bar for BBQ. Not a huge fan of Smithfield’s either, but doesn’t Cook Out pry theirs out of a can?

Seems like Smithfield’s has a location everywhere except in Durham...wonder why that is??
    Nearest is on other side of RTP on Davis Drive.or West up in Mebane....seems like a real dry stretch in between

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Ummm, Cook Out is a very low bar for BBQ. Not a huge fan of Smithfield’s either, but doesn’t Cook Out pry theirs out of a can?
    That was the whole point. Smithfields just isn't special. It tastes good, and I'll enjoy eating it, but it isn't anything to write home about.

LOL. Cook Out's BBQ tastes like cheap stringy pork with Kraft BBQ sauce on it.

Smithfield's is very good. Their BBQ is (to me) a hybrid of eastern NC style 'cue and Lexington style. The meat is pork shoulder, the dip is eastern style. Depending on my mood, I eat it as served, or I add the red chicken sauce they give up on request. That sauce is more like the Lex style stuff.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

The more I read these threads, the more I realize so many poor souls on this board have not had real Eastern NC bbq. I lift up your names in prayer. 😂