Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Since we just won our 10th game of 2018-19, 91 years in a row is correct. That is the longest current streak in NCAA Division I. I don't know if it's an all-time NCAA record, but pretty good chance that it is.
    In all those years, maybe the most dramatic streak-saving game was the 1982 final home game against Clemson. Duke was sitting at 9 wins, with just second-ranked UNC and a highly-seeded opponent in the ACC tournament afterwards — so the team knew this was their best chance to preserve what was then a 53-year streak. (By the way, 53 years was the most in college basketball at the time, so today’s 91 years blows away any record.)

Duke trailed by 8 with under eight minutes to go, but came storming back to tie it in regulation and win in triple overtime, 73-72, to keep the streak alive. Vince Taylor hit the game-winning shot and then forced a travel in the final seconds of the third overtime to secure the win. His 35 points on his senior day was his career high; afterwards he called it his greatest win ever. (And this is a guy who played in the game with Gene Banks’ miracle shot to take Carolina to overtime the year before, not to mention the 1979 game in which Duke shut out Carolina in the first half.)

And the game had another distinction: Coach K — in his second year as Duke’s coach — notched his 100th career coaching win. Duke ended up 10-17 that year, and had another close call the following year with an 11-17 record. Other than the 13-win 1994-95 season when Coach K was out, and the following year with 18 wins, no season since has seen fewer than 23 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauderdevil View Post
    In all those years, maybe the most dramatic streak-saving game was the 1982 final home game against Clemson. Duke was sitting at 9 wins, with just second-ranked UNC and a highly-seeded opponent in the ACC tournament afterwards — so the team knew this was their best chance to preserve what was then a 53-year streak. (By the way, 53 years was the most in college basketball at the time, so today’s 91 years blows away any record.)

Duke trailed by 8 with under eight minutes to go, but came storming back to tie it in regulation and win in triple overtime, 73-72, to keep the streak alive. Vince Taylor hit the game-winning shot and then forced a travel in the final seconds of the third overtime to secure the win. His 35 points on his senior day was his career high; afterwards he called it his greatest win ever. (And this is a guy who played in the game with Gene Banks’ miracle shot to take Carolina to overtime the year before, not to mention the 1979 game in which Duke shut out Carolina in the first half.)

And the game had another distinction: Coach K — in his second year as Duke’s coach — notched his 100th career coaching win. Duke ended up 10-17 that year, and had another close call the following year with an 11-17 record. Other than the 13-win 1994-95 season when Coach K was out, and the following year with 18 wins, no season since has seen fewer than 23 wins.
    It didn’t save a streak but nothing can top the triple OT victory over the Tar Heels on senior day in 1968.
    https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...c-fred-lind-68

Quote Originally Posted by Lauderdevil View Post
    (By the way, 53 years was the most in college basketball at the time, so today’s 91 years blows away any record.)
    Maybe, maybe not. These days it's not so hard to win 10 games in a 35 game college basketball season. For example, if whatever team was behind Duke in 1982 had double-figure wins in 48 straight years (making that number up) and if they'd won 10+ every year since, then they'd have 86 straight years now, meaning Duke's 91 may not be blowing away anything.

But it's still cool.

FWIW, my vague recollection is in 1982 (my senior year; I attended the Clemson game you mention) it was Louisville with the second-longest streak. And they have won 10+ games every year since, except they had (I believe) three seasons in which all the wins were vacated. I don't remember who was third or how long their streak was.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue KevIL View Post
    After the loss to Louisville, Duke's Home Record against Non-Conference Opponents under Coach K stood at 17-5.

The next Non-Conference Home Loss to Illinois (75-65) happened after 95 consecutive wins.

Since the Illinois loss, Duke has won 178 out of 180 Non-Conference Home Games.
    The only two losses were by 1 point each: December 8, 1996 to #7 Michigan 62-61 & February 26, 2000 to St. John's 83-82 in OT.

So, since the Louisville loss, Duke is 273-3 at Home against Non-Conference Opponents.
    Under Coach K, Duke is 290-8.

Harrison Ford's a quarter Jewish.
    Not too shabby.

*Edited to increase seasonal relevance.

As far as assist-to-turnover ratios, Tre is putting up numbers not seen yet in Dukes History ...

... 67 assist to 13 turnovers for a 5.16:1 ratio. I’m aware this may come down to earth at some point but I believe the Duke record is 3.03:1 held by Wojo himself in 1997.

Anyone, other than myself, think Tre will be able to break that record? I seriously doubt he stays where he is, but I think he has a chance to break the ACC record which is 4.11:1 held by James Robinson (Pitt in 2014).

Maybe, maybe not. These days it's not so hard to win 10 games in a 35 game college basketball season.
    yet some team had an 8 20 record

You can find this stuff in the Game Notes through goduke.com.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    yet some team had an 8 20 record
    ...they were the league door Matt that year...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue666s View Post
    As far as assist-to-turnover ratios, Tre is putting up numbers not seen yet in Dukes History ...

... 67 assist to 13 turnovers for a 5.16:1 ratio. I’m aware this may come down to earth at some point but I believe the Duke record is 3.03:1 held by Wojo himself in 1997.

Anyone, other than myself, think Tre will be able to break that record? I seriously doubt he stays where he is, but I think he has a chance to break the ACC record which is 4.11:1 held by James Robinson (Pitt in 2014).
    It's possible I missed one or two (though I don't think so), but here are all the Duke players I could find in the Coach K era who in their first 12 games of the season averaged 4+ apg and 2:1 a/to or better:

SELECTED DUKE PG A/TO RATIOS AFTER 12 GAMES
    Code:
    Year	Player			12gmA	12gmTO	12 a/to	season a/to
    2010	Jon Scheyer		77	14	5.50	2.98
    2019	Tre Jones		67	13	5.15	???
    2018	Trevon Duval		80	23	3.48	2.03
    1989	Quin Snyder		88	26	3.38	2.17
    1997	Wojo			77	23	3.35	3.03
    1986	Tom Amaker		82	26	3.15	2.51
    2015	Tyus Jones		66	22	3.00	2.86
    2014	Quinn Cook		78	26	3.00	2.68
    2018	Grayson Allen		53	19	2.79	2.18
    2003	Chris Duhon		98	36	2.72	2.16
    1992	Bob Hurley		97	36	2.69	2.17
    2001	Chris Duhon		63	24	2.63	2.85
    1999	Will Avery		80	31	2.58	1.92
    2004	Chris Duhon		76	30	2.53	2.16
    1985	Tom Amaker		80	32	2.50	2.88
    2002	Chris Duhon		76	31	2.45	2.26
    1993	Bob Hurley		98	41	2.39	2.43
    2013	Quinn Cook		71	30	2.37	2.41
    1998	Wojo			64	28	2.29	2.56
    This table tells me two things: (1) Tre Jones is having a great season so far (2nd best a/to ratio over first 12 games); and (b) it seems unlikely Tre's a/to will be above 3.0 by the end of the season.

Obviously only time will tell.

Marques Bolden had 2 blocks in 6 minutes against Texas Tech, raising his season-long block percentage to 12.9%, a pace that far exceeds Shelden Williams's Duke record of 10.6%.

Cam Reddish had 3 steals in 20 minutes against Texas Tech, raising his season-long steals percentage to 4.72%, a pace beyond that of Wojo's Duke record of 4.54%.
    After the Clemson game:

Marques's block percentage is now 12.3%, still well ahead of Shelden Williams's Duke record of 10.6%.

Cam's steal percentage increased to 4.8%, obviously still ahead of Wojo's Duke record of 4.5%.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue666s View Post
    FWIW, Tre's a/to ratio is now 5.85:1, after 9 assists vs. 0 turnovers against Clemson.

Against Clemson, Javin DeLaurier made his 15th consecutive field goal. The Duke record is 20 set by Alaa Abdelnaby in 1988-89. (Ryan Kelly is 2nd, with 18 straight in 2010-11.)

He doesn't shoot from very far out, but Javin has only missed 3 shots all year and is shooting 90.0% from the field.

Zion's PER Rating

The NBA season record for PER is Wilt Chamberlain's 31.82 rating.

The NCAA record is John Brown's (High Point) 36.93.

Zion is currently sitting at a ridiculous PER of 42.10.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    The NBA season record for PER is Wilt Chamberlain's 31.82 rating.

The NCAA record is John Brown's (High Point) 36.93.

Zion is currently sitting at a ridiculous PER of 42.10.
    Link(s)?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Against Clemson, Javin DeLaurier made his 15th consecutive field goal. The Duke record is 20 set by Alaa Abdelnaby in 1988-89. (Ryan Kelly is 2nd, with 18 straight in 2010-11.)

He doesn't shoot from very far out, but Javin has only missed 3 shots all year and is shooting 90.0% from the field.
    Javin's problem is not holding onto rebounds/passes he gets his hands on....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Javin's problem is not holding onto rebounds/passes he gets his hands on...
    Maybe. My recollection is Javin dropped one pass last night, and (though obviously I'd have preferred he held onto it) it wasn't really that good a pass. My guess is he would have caught either a bounce pass or a pass up at shoulder level or above, rather than a pass thrown at his hip and a little behind him.

His defensive rebounding has been slipping in the past several games, but it hasn't struck me that it has been because the ball is bouncing out of his hands. But I don't have any evidence to back that up, either.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Link(s)?
    http://insider.espn.com/mens-college...ger/statistics (current)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...er-season.html (NCAA all-time season records)

https://www.basketball-reference.com...er_season.html (NBA/ABA all-time season records)

My bad. Zion's PER is now 43.51. Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    http://insider.espn.com/mens-college...ger/statistics (current)

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...er-season.html (NCAA all-time season records)

https://www.basketball-reference.com...er_season.html (NBA/ABA all-time season records)

My bad. Zion's PER is now 43.51. Insane.

Wow. Thanks. Very cool.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Maybe. My recollection is Javin dropped one pass last night, and (though obviously I'd have preferred he held onto it) it wasn't really that good a pass. My guess is he would have caught either a bounce pass or a pass up at shoulder level or above, rather than a pass thrown at his hip and a little behind him.

His defensive rebounding has been slipping in the past several games, but it hasn't struck me that it has been because the ball is bouncing out of his hands. But I don't have any evidence to back that up, either.
    The only evidence I have...and it's not really evidence per se, is that many of us on the live chat during games notice this and comment on it often. I don't know if there's ever stats kept on this really. He just reminds me of Tony Lang in this sense.

By the same token, the consensus on the game chat, to my eye, is that Zion and Jack have amazing hands on rebounds and receptions and loose balls. Hand control, good and bad, has always been something I've noticed...back to the days of Adrian Dantley, who has amazing hands. A lot of it is mental and concentration. Appearing to get a rebound, only to lose it, often leads to easy hoop other way, because your teammates have started the other way many times...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The only evidence I have...and it's not really evidence per se, is that many of us on the live chat during games notice this and comment on it often. I don't know if there's ever stats kept on this really. He just reminds me of Tony Lang in this sense.

By the same token, the consensus on the game chat, to my eye, is that Zion and Jack have amazing hands on rebounds and receptions and loose balls. Hand control, good and bad, has always been something I've noticed...back to the days of Adrian Dantley, who has amazing hands. A lot of it is mental and concentration. Appearing to get a rebound, only to lose it, often leads to easy hoop other way, because your teammates have started the other way many times...
    Agree that (by my eye test) Javin's hands are less than stellar.