Page 2064 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 106415641964201420542062206320642065206620742114216425643064 ... LastLast
Results 41,261 to 41,280 of 67398
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Nah, just my music on the way to work. Today's selection was Cirith Ungol...rather obscure, but good power metal with an actual melody, and steeped in sci-fi/fantasy nerdiness (see: band name):
    https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Cirith_Ungol/561
    Whoa. That is some serious stuff. I imagine it to be what was playing in Tim Duncan’s head despite his outwardly calm demeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Oh I think Duncan was just insular Kobe. I think they were absolutely wired exactly the same way. But only one of them would talk about it. Kobe wanted to be the next Jordan so bad and he got 90 something percent of the way there. Duncan just wanted to win and didn't give a damn what you thought about that or what you thought about him. Also to be fair, I know Duncan a little bit from being around him in pick up hoops at Wake Forest when he was there. An absolute Stone Cold killer. Rodney Rogers and Randolph Childress, and later Chris Paul were in those games. Duncan was going to win.
    Absolutely stunning Paul/Duncan didn't win more hardware.

As a WFU grad, Timmy is my hero. Stayed all four years and graduated. Stuck with one team in the NBA. Never in any trouble. Classy guy.

Chris Paul is a jerk. Never liked him. I was one of the alums calling for his suspension after the Julius Hodge incident. Don't want to see Wake represented that way.

Rodney is a sweet guy. Breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    As a WFU grad, Timmy is my hero. Stayed all four years and graduated. Stuck with one team in the NBA. Never in any trouble. Classy guy.

Chris Paul is a jerk. Never liked him. I was one of the alums calling for his suspension after the Julius Hodge incident. Don't want to see Wake represented that way.

Tim Duncan is one of the reasons (not the most important one) that I'm really sorry I didn't visit my San Antonio brother while he was playing. I was hoping he could wrangle an introduction. The bolded part above was the reason I really wanted to meet him. He promised his mother he would graduate and he stuck to it, even when he had opportunities to leave early for the NBA.

I believe he is a car guy - so seeing his custom car shop would be fun. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...it-of-a-legend

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I believe he is a car guy - so seeing his custom car shop would be fun. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...it-of-a-legend

It is just a couple blocks from our office building.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    It is just a couple blocks from our office building.
    So the bonus of seeing his shop would be the possibility of getting to meet you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Absolutely stunning Paul/Duncan didn't win more hardware.
    So my rec league basketball team is 4 dudes who played high school with Chris Paul...and me. So I basically replaced Chris Paul. #downgrade.

To be clear, I friggin love Timmy D. But he never struck me as a guy who was just all basketball. He seemed like he approached like a job; professionally and impressively. But it also seemed like when he clocked out, he clocked out.

Tim was incredibly kind when I knew him. Same with Rodney. I have known him since high school. I have known Chris since 8th grade and I really like him. His best friend is one of my tennis partners and on my rec league team. So I really like Chris. But I get why some people don't.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Tim Duncan is one of the reasons (not the most important one) that I'm really sorry I didn't visit my San Antonio brother while he was playing. I was hoping he could wrangle an introduction. The bolded part above was the reason I really wanted to meet him. He promised his mother he would graduate and he stuck to it, even when he had opportunities to leave early for the NBA.

I saw him single-handedly lose a playoff game to rhe Sonics (RIP). He missed several free throws in the closing minutes.

Of course, they went on the win the trophy that year, but it was cool to see a living legend.

To be clear, I friggin love Timmy D. But he never struck me as a guy who was just all basketball. He seemed like he approached like a job; professionally and impressively. But it also seemed like when he clocked out, he clocked out.
    That is probably part of what I really liked about him. He was serious when it was bball time but seemed to know the importance of a balanced life. Plus, in his professional career, he didn't want to be high profile - seemed like he wanted to do his job, do it well, and then have a home life. The mentorship of David Robinson probably really helped him.

Ok. This checks out. I agree with this after all. If you went and had a beer with Timmy, you were 2 dudes having a beer. You go have a beer with Kobe and he is trying to be better at having a beer than you are.

Tim was incredibly kind when I knew him. Same with Rodney. I have known him since high school. I have known Chris since 8th grade and I really like him. His best friend is one of my tennis partners and on my rec league team. So I really like Chris. But I get why some people don't.
    Chris Paul (I'm gonna get killed for this) reminds me of our Grayson. He let's his competitive side get the better of him on the court, but by all accounts he is a great human being off the court.

I'd rather play with him than against him, that's for sure. But I'd pick Duncan over him as a teammate.

Ok. This checks out. I agree with this after all. If you went and had a beer with Timmy, you were 2 dudes having a beer. You go have a beer with Kobe and he is trying to be better at having a beer than you are.
    Yeah. Kobe would tell how how much better he is than you at everything. Duncan would drink a beer and discuss voting rights work or Brexit.

To be clear, I know Kobe was wicked smart, but not someone likely to discuss anything other than his accomplishments and drive.

Sidenote: is this the longest basketball discussion ever on LTE?
    Last edited by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15; 05-27-2021 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Sidenote

Chris Paul (I'm gonna get killed for this) reminds me of our Grayson. He let's his competitive side get the better of him on the court, but by all accounts he is a great human being off the court.

I'd rather play with him than against him, that's for sure. But I'd pick Duncan over him as a teammate.
    There’s a Chris Paul on every high school team in America. Driven, take charge, alpha barker and more competitive than everyone else. pisses a lot of people off because his play veers into dirty — but also a straight arrow off the court.

Not my cup of tea but coaches love him.

Something I never thought I would type:

Siouxsie Sioux is 64 years old today.

Something I never thought I would type:

Siouxsie Sioux is 64 years old today.
    Pfft. Pretty sure banshees are immortal.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Yeah. Kobe would tell how how much better he is than you at everything. Duncan would drink a beer and discuss voting rights work or Brexit.

To be clear, I know Kobe was wicked smart, but not someone likely to discuss anything other than his accomplishments and drive.

Sidenote: is this the longest basketball discussion ever on LTE?
    Probably. I can't remember a longer one, at least not off the top of my head.

I am working right now. After testing the program on only 100,000 observations, it is now running on all 14 million. I wonder how long it will take.

Wow, not that long, only about 20 minutes.