Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: next season

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    right, but 6 minutes of playing time isn't going to suddenly make people recognize potential either. or more generally, 6 minutes of playing time isn't going to change anybody's opinion of anything when it comes to NBA potential or readiness.
    Sure. So the fact that he only got 6 minutes against UVA probably won't matter much compared to the other games where he gets a larger number of impactful minutes, right? The 6 minutes are the minutes that are supposed to make us question his NBA readiness. He has more than 6 minutes of high level play.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    right, but 6 minutes of playing time isn't going to suddenly make people recognize potential either. or more generally, 6 minutes of playing time isn't going to change anybody's opinion of anything when it comes to NBA potential or readiness, good or bad. As CDu points out, he's likely on the radar, but that was true before uva. And he is likely viewed as not ready, and 6 minutes vs uva doesn't change any of that analysis.
    I still think you are reading this the wrong way and responding to the wrong commenter.

Williams played only six minutes and not well against UVa. That was the argument being made against NBA folks thinking he's ready. Edouble and Acymetric are saying that that 6-minute sample is not going to override the larger sample of good play.

The other question is how much NBA teams want to draft centers, period. Bol Bol went from a top-5 recruit to a second round draft pick despite averaging nearly 20/10 in a handful of games for Oregon prior to getting injured. His size was superior to Williams (and nearly everyone else on the planet) and I would say his skillset was as well. He even shot over 50% from three on a non-insignificant number of attempts. The problem was that NBA teams just didn't want to draft a traditional big man who could be targeted on defense.

Williams has an NBA future. If he left now he would probably pick up an undrafted FA contract by someone. But his chances of getting any playing time even in the G league would be low. I'm usually understanding of players who choose to leave, but in his case I think staying another year would give him more of a chance of sticking in the G league and eventually getting a shot.

It's interesting - I've been thinking about this NCAA exception to this year counting for eligibility exclusively from a Duke perspective. Next year could see a LOT of teams with super-seniors back for one last run. I wonder if we see a spike in mid-major colleges next year, as they aren't laden with kids eager/likely to go to the NBA? Doesn't seem all that unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It's interesting - I've been thinking about this NCAA exception to this year counting for eligibility exclusively from a Duke perspective. Next year could see a LOT of teams with super-seniors back for one last run. I wonder if we see a spike in mid-major colleges next year, as they aren't laden with kids eager/likely to go to the NBA? Doesn't seem all that unlikely.
    Yeah unfortunately we don’t stand to benefit nearly as much as other programs from the free year. Maybe a guy like Baker stays around and is an impact player for his fifth year in 2022-23. But next year we get a role player or two. After that, we don’t have a lot of 4-5 year types.

But, c’est la vie. I will appreciate hopefully getting a fifth year of Goldwire next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Maybe a guy like Baker stays around and is an impact player for his fifth year in 2022-23.
    If only Joey hadn’t burned what was going to be a redshirt season we could have had him around for six years!

Jordan Goldwire not coming back next season?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLxdhEZs..._web_copy_link

I didn't see this being discussed anywhere else, but Jordan posted this on his verified IG account a few days ago. Is he talking about this year, or has he already decided to not take advantage of the rule allowing seniors this season to return for an extra year of eligibility? That would be a pretty huge blow to our back court for next season if so. Going to need a guard transfer for sure if this is true.

Need better guard play PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post

I didn't see this being discussed anywhere else, but Jordan posted this on his verified IG account a few days ago. Is he talking about this year, or has he already decided to not take advantage of the rule allowing seniors this season to return for an extra year of eligibility? That would be a pretty huge blow to our back court for next season if so. Going to need a guard transfer for sure if this is true.
    Yeah, he's gone.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

This is why I don't understand why everyone on the 2021 recruiting thread is dismissive of Keels starting or getting major minutes IF he comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    This is why I don't understand why everyone on the 2021 recruiting thread is dismissive of Keels starting or getting major minutes IF he comes.
    Nobody is dismissive of Keels getting major minutes if he comes. I doubt anyone is dismissive of him starting. He would have a real chance, though no guarantee he would beat out both Stewsrd and Roach as sophomores with a real offseason of development.

The only thing remotely close to what you are saying is that folks don’t think Keels is the critical missing piece. Keels isn’t notably higher rated than Roach or Steward were last year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Nobody is dismissive of Keels getting major minutes if he comes. I doubt anyone is dismissive of him starting. He would have a real chance, though no guarantee he would beat out both Stewsrd and Roach as sophomores with a real offseason of development.

The only thing remotely close to what you are saying is that folks don’t think Keels is the critical missing piece. Keels isn’t notably higher rated than Roach or Steward were last year.
    You're right. Just a better recruiting class. He's not some can't miss prospect though.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    You're right. Just a better recruiting class. He's not some can't miss prospect though.
    This team could be very good if Hurt returns - looks 50/50 right now but he could be a force next year.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post

Well he did say "last game with the mob." Who is the "mob"? Maybe that's what he calls this team in its entirety, which won't be around next season. I honestly have no idea. Jordan may also change his opinion after thinking through his options. Who knows. He may or may not come back.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    This team could be very good if Hurt returns - looks 50/50 right now but he could be a force next year.
    I think it's more 90/10, but him coming back would be awesome! Hope it happens. Certianly not expecting it though.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    What makes you think he is 50/50?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    If only Joey hadn’t burned what was going to be a redshirt season we could have had him around for six years!
    Pretty sure this is the joke, but only players in their final year of eligibility get another year, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Pretty sure this is the joke, but only players in their final year of eligibility get another year, right?
    nope. this year doesn't count against anybody. It's why in some cases HS seniors were expediting their graduation so they could join their teams half a year early (as happened with Saylor Poffenbarger at Uconn)
    April 1

It's too bad the NCAA didn't offer the extra year of eligibility last year (although I realize doing it two straight years might have created a real longjam of players). It would have been great if Justin Robinson had had the option of coming back this season.

We have discussed this previously, maybe even in this thread though I'm not sure about that. But sorry guys, I still just don't buy Jaemyn as a 3 point shooter. He may improve and prove me wrong, but after tonight's o-fer, he's now down to 33% on the season, and after his hot start over a few games in December, he's 3 for 20 (15%) since.

Although, to be fair, after tonight's clunker, DJ is also at 33%, on a lot more attempts.

Jeremy is now at an unsightly 28%.

There are obviously a lot of areas in which this team needs to improve next year, but given the fact that we're very likely to lose our (only?) reliable three point shooter off this year's team, we really, really are going to need our returning guards to improve their shooting. I am confident they can do it, but wow, will we need it.

And it sure would be nice to get a surprise commitment from Patrick Baldwin Jr. He might change the entire picture in terms of shooting next year.