Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Who?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    There is a pretty wide gap between the top tier and the rest in women's soccer. I wouldn't expect teams ranked in the 30s to be especially good (13 goals is still incredible, of course). I do think complaints that the US didn't pull up at some point are a little warranted.

Seconded, should I recognize that person?
    It's moderator and DBR podcast host blazindw (Donald Wine) in the red shirt and headband.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    It's moderator and DBR podcast host blazindw (Donald Wine) in the red shirt and headband.
    Ahhh! Thanks, and cool! (Not sure why it was posted as to be so obscure to everyone that isn't his best friend)

Duke blue shirt next time you get your five minutes of fame, blazindw!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Goal scoring totals so far:

Alex Morgan -- 5
    France -- 4
    Brazil -- 3
    Norway -- 3
    Spain -- 3
    Rose Lavelle -- 2
    Sam Mewis -- 2
    England -- 2
    Italy -- 2
    Sweden -- 2
    Lindsay Horan -- 1
    Megan Rapinoe -- 1
    Mallory Pugh -- 1
    Carli Lloyd -- 1
    Australia -- 1
    Canada -- 1
    Germany -- 1
    Netherlands -- 1
    South Africa -- 1
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Goal scoring totals so far:

Alex Morgan -- 5
    France -- 4
    Brazil -- 3
    Norway -- 3
    Spain -- 3
    Rose Lavelle -- 2
    Sam Mewis -- 2
    England -- 2
    Italy -- 2
    Sweden -- 2
    Lindsay Horan -- 1
    Megan Rapinoe -- 1
    Mallory Pugh -- 1
    Carli Lloyd -- 1
    Australia -- 1
    Canada -- 1
    Germany -- 1
    Netherlands -- 1
    South Africa -- 1
    Post of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The USWNT is SO much more fun to watch than the USMNT. Let's go USA!!

I love watching them but I can not agree with that in the slightest. The men's team just does everything better but has to go against tougher competition also.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The US has so many male world-class athletes. I have no idea how we could get enough of them to play soccer to finally make us relevant on the world stage. What a shame.

The US Women are rock stars. Let's... uh... ROCK!

I'm trying to record the game from my YOUTUBE TV app. First time, hope it works.
    Yeah this is almost always going to be a problem but ine that I think will get a bit better over time. Soccer is still relatively new in this country (exposure wise) compared to other sports. Soccer is slowly becoming more mainstream with pro teams being added and a greatly expanded aau league play.

How cool is it to imagine some our best athletes if they had committed to soccer like other athletes do for their respective countries? Dwight Howard or LeBron in goal anyone? Russel Westbrook as a striker?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I love watching them but I can not agree with that in the slightest. The men's team just does everything better but has to go against tougher competition also.

Yeah this is almost always going to be a problem but ine that I think will get a bit better over time. Soccer is still relatively new in this country (exposure wise) compared to other sports. Soccer is slowly becoming more mainstream with pro teams being added and a greatly expanded aau league play.

How cool is it to imagine some our best athletes if they had committed to soccer like other athletes do for their respective countries? Dwight Howard or LeBron in goal anyone? Russel Westbrook as a striker?
    I would love to see Zion play soccer - he has very quick feet and I don't think he would ever lose a 50/50 battle for a header!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil2 View Post
    This is the highest level of soccer. There is no reason for a winning team to hold back. It should s up to the other team.to respond. In addition, goals scored have potential impact on advancement to the knock out round
    I didn't say hold back, and agree that's not the way to go. I did say we should be able to at least put most of our second team in, let them play hard.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I didn't say hold back, and agree that's not the way to go. I did say we should be able to at least put most of our second team in, let them play hard.
    Well (unless women's soccer is different) you only get three subs, so you can't exactly empty your bench. I would say that looking to score up 12-0 in added time is a bit unusual at any level of soccer, I'll stop short of saying it was bad sportsmanship though.

Well (unless women's soccer is different) you only get three subs, so you can't exactly empty your bench. I would say that looking to score up 12-0 in added time is a bit unusual at any level of soccer, I'll stop short of saying it was bad sportsmanship though.
    Last I checked score differential is a tie breaker in the World Cup. Two other teams get to play Thailand as well and will likely score bunches.

Don't want teams to keep pressing? Don't make score important.

I actually think the least respectful thing you can do to an opponent is to stop trying. It is saying they are not worth you efforts. Now, I am not saying you would continue to press the attack with full vigor, but if an obvious opportunity presents itself, it is disrespectful to give up and not try (IMHO).

And, as others have noted, goal differential matters at the World Cup... to say nothing of the fact that scoring a goal at the World Cup is a lifelong dream for many of these players. I've got no problem with how team USA played.

If folks are looking for someone to blame... it looked to me like Thailand gave up in a pretty big way around the 50-minute mark in the 2nd half and the orgy or goals that followed is on them more than it is on the US. The Thai players stopped moving toward the ball or even contesting what the US was doing for a while and we scored like 5 goals in 10 minutes as a result.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I will say that it is bad sportsmanship.

Killing the clock is as much a part of soccer as any other timed sport. Is there anyone who seriously thinks that we are going to need that 13th goal for goal differential purposes?

For those advocating this running up of the score, let's circle back after the Duke-Alabama football game.

For those advocating this running up of the score, let's circle back after the Duke-Alabama football game.

OUCH....THAT HURTS already 👿👿👿👿👿

Killing the clock is as much a part of soccer as any other timed sport. Is there anyone who seriously thinks that we are going to need that 13th goal for goal differential purposes?

Right...I don't necessarily think there is any issue with the goals during regulation time, but there is no reason you can't just kick the ball around in added time rather than move into attacking position. More or less the equivalent of going hard play-action up 80 in the final two minutes. The real qualms I would have is with the over the top celebrations...if you score fine but kind of an act like you've been there before thing once you're on goal 8+ (which shouldn't be too hard for the top team in women's soccer who has most definitely been there before).

For real! Like when it's 63-3 Duke, hopefully Cut will call off the dawgs and give some of our younger players a chance!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Meh..I look at the score along the lines of a women's bball game. Blowouts happen, often. Thailand can still take pride in the fact that they made the tournament, just as Podunk U can take pride in making the NCAAs before running into a team like UCONN or Notre Dame.

The bigger qualm seems to be with how those goals were celebrated, even as the outcome was obvious. I'm on board with that. There's no need to do some choreographed number when shot #10 goes in the net. Simply smile and enjoy your achievement, you don't have to rub it in.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    For real! Like when it's 63-3 Duke, hopefully Cut will call off the dawgs and give some of our younger players a chance!
    Exactly.

(Although in all seriousness, Saban pulled Tua in the fourth quarter of all their blowouts to avoid injury -- even though margin of victory in football factors into public perception and maybe the computer ranking although not sure. Why risk injury sending our players forward, instead of doing the Brazilian "Ole!" for the last section of the game?)

I will say that one of my co-workers has a theory -- running up the score was a message to US Soccer regarding the USWNT's push for higher ("equal") pay. That sorta makes some intuitive sense to me I guess.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 06-12-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I would love to see Zion play soccer - he has very quick feet and I don't think he would ever lose a 50/50 battle for a header!
    I'm sure that's his Plan B, in case this whole basketball thing doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm sure that's his Plan B, in case this whole basketball thing doesn't work out.
    Zion would be the absolute best on coner kick headers. How would you move him? Hold him down?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Zion would be the absolute best on coner kick headers. How would you move him? Hold him down?
    Ask Izzo.

(Yea, waaaaay too soon.)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I will say that one of my co-workers has a theory -- running up the score was a message to US Soccer regarding the USWNT's push for higher ("equal") pay. That sorta makes some intuitive sense to me I guess.
    I've hear this a good bit today and I guess I get it... but it feels to me like it may not be a great idea to launch a controversy about sportsmanship while asking your boss for a raise.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?