Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Love this! And I need sugar to get me going in the morning, too!
    I always thought the cigarette was a nice touch as well.

Just a gutsy performance by Suni Lee out there. Thrust into the spotlight like that at the drop of a hat all of a sudden and you are the face of the US team. Congrats to her and her family. The story about the Dad falling is heartbreaking on so many levels.

On a related note, will Simone compete in any individual finals? I know she has the yips but is that just for vault?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Just a gutsy performance by Suni Lee out there. Thrust into the spotlight like that at the drop of a hat all of a sudden and you are the face of the US team. Congrats to her and her family. The story about the Dad falling is heartbreaking on so many levels.

On a related note, will Simone compete in any individual finals? I know she has the yips but is that just for vault?
    Apparently she has not yet decided (or not yet made a public statement about any decision). Hopefully the other US gymnasts who might take her spots are practicing….i am sure it’s hard to not know if you will be competing or not.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Yep, Lee was very consistently solid across all the events and deserved the gold! Going into the final floor, I thought the Brazilian was going to surpass her almost for sure (I think she needed a 13.8, and had previously gotten 14+), but two VERY costly out of bounds (one with both feet, one with one foot) doomed her chances. She still became the first Brazilian gymnast to medal but it was silver, not gold with her 13.66 or something like that. So, without the two penalties (0.4 total deductions, I believe), would have done it. Of course, that's sport, and incredibly happy for Suni Lee who was done, watching, and hoping!

Any idea if the gymnastics is going to be aired tonight in prime time? I'll look forward to watching Suni take the Gold.

Separately, the women's 4x200 freestyle relay was one of the most exciting sporting events I have ever seen!!
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Any idea if the gymnastics is going to be aired tonight in prime time? I'll look forward to watching Suni take the Gold.

Separately, the women's 4x200 freestyle relay was one of the most exciting sporting events I have ever seen!!
    I'll echo that about the 200 relay. I thought Ledecky was going to pull off the comeback, which would have been legendary. Still thrilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post

It is my understanding that it will be on NBC this evening. Even with the results well known, NBC would be incredibly stupid not to air it during prime time.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    I'll echo that about the 200 relay. I thought Ledecky was going to pull off the comeback, which would have been legendary. Still thrilling.
    Agreed! Enjoyed the interview after the event where the reporter gave each of them their split times - it was fun hearing them congratulating each other.

I would also like to watch the mixed IM relay again. That was fun!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    It is my understanding that it will be on NBC this evening. Even with the results well known, NBC would be incredibly stupid not to air it during prime time.
    They have been airing the gymnastics first every night, and I doubt tonight will be different (they will definitely air it, just the time is at their discretion. But airing it first allows them to then air some swimming as it is happening live….and when I am already asleep.)

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post

I would also like to watch the mixed IM relay again. That was fun!
    Peacock has a bunch of highlight videos that you can watch on demand. Right now they have the Mixed medley semis. There is another really exciting swim…the men’s 800 free. Bobby Finke came from nowhere in the last 25 meters. They also have the women’s 4x200 relay as well as some interviews.

The basic Peacock app is free. You have to pay for premium, which probably gives you more content. I only have the freebie.

Novak Djokovic is good at tennising.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Peacock has a bunch of highlight videos that you can watch on demand. Right now they have the Mixed medley semis. There is another really exciting swim…the men’s 800 free. Bobby Finke came from nowhere in the last 25 meters. They also have the women’s 4x200 relay as well as some interviews.

The basic Peacock app is free. You have to pay for premium, which probably gives you more content. I only have the freebie.
    Thanks for pointing this out, but frankly, Peacock is as bad as I feared it would be. They don't actually have a reply of the women's 4x200 relay. They have "highlights", meaning they cut out the middle of each leg of the race. Also, things like a replay of the women's gymnastics team final are Premium-only. That's horse puckey. BS. Garbage.

I hate the money-grubbingness of modern TV. Commercials were bad, but predictable. Now every service has different ways of bilking you. Get off my flippin' lawn!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out, but frankly, Peacock is as bad as I feared it would be. They don't actually have a reply of the women's 4x200 relay. They have "highlights", meaning they cut out the middle of each leg of the race. Also, things like a replay of the women's gymnastics team final are Premium-only. That's horse puckey. BS. Garbage.

I hate the money-grubbingness of modern TV. Commercials were bad, but predictable. Now every service has different ways of bilking you. Get off my flippin' lawn!!
    I agree completely! All these streaming services, which offer “additional content”….often things we used to get as part of our ridiculously expensive cable packages…are really just new ways to unbundle and charge more. I have liked the fact that I could some replay videos on peacock, but had not realized that they cut out part of the 4x200 (I guess I was multi-tasking). They did show Katie’s leg, tho.

Basic Peacock has shown the gymnastics event live each morning at 6:30. But even that has been disappointing at times, as they select which athletes and routines they will show. (I guess that is the same with the prime time coverage, though).

I've been using the Roku embedded Olympic coverage which seems better organized/easier to find the content I want than peacock/NBC. Of course, it then FEEDS me to Peacock to actually play the content I want, but the interface is better/cleaner I think.

Swimming is impossibly action packed. I honestly struggle to see how people can watch the US men's soccer (which looks like a JV team) in the Gold Cup rather than pretty much any sport in the Olympics. And no less a luminary than Olympic Fan would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I honestly struggle to see how people can watch the US men's soccer (which looks like a JV team) in the Gold Cup rather than pretty much any sport in the Olympics.

Actually it's quite easy. It's what remote controls are made for.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I should have said "why".

HUGE goal by Sam Mewis!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Even easier when you picked up a second (old and small) TV for free when your employer was cleaning out a supply closet. I watched soccer and the Gold Cup. No flipping necessary! Also kept my eye on the draft for the first round (some flipping necessary). The second half of the USA game and the first half of the CN/Mexico game were pretty entertaining (that's all I watched, the other halves might have been entertaining too but I missed them).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Even easier when you picked up a second (old and small) TV for free when your employer was cleaning out a supply closet. I watched soccer and the Gold Cup. No flipping necessary! Also kept my eye on the draft for the first round (some flipping necessary). The second half of the USA game and the first half of the CN/Mexico game were pretty entertaining (that's all I watched, the other halves might have been entertaining too but I missed them).
    So you chose to watch the Gold Cup and NBA draft? This wasn't mandated by a judge because you broke a law or something? Kidding. I fully support the use of multiple televisions.