Page 285 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 1852352752832842852862872953353857851285 ... LastLast
Results 5,681 to 5,700 of 67390

Smile I'm applying for ...

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I would like to apply for the position of Head Elf.

Qualifications:
    Religion- Jewish
    Favorite Xmas Movie- How The Grinch Stole Christmas (the original cartoon, in fact, I own it)
    Use of the Term Xmas- Yes
    Attendance at Midnight Mass- I've been twice. One service was entirely in Polish in a 100+ year old church
    Childhood Request for a Hanukkah Bush- Yes
    Participation in Secret Santa- Yes
    Participation in Hanukkah Hunt- Yes, several as a child
    Eight Gifts for Eight Nights- Yes, as a child... now just one biggie
    Drink Eggnog- Nooooooooo
    Pass Out Candy Canes- Yes
    Wear a Santa Hat- Yes
    Put Reindeer Antlers on Chloe- No, I prefer not to be bloodied, thank you
    Decorate Christmas Trees- Yes, in fact my friends' moms would invite me over when their children bailed on them. Loved decorating the trees.
    Prefer Neutral Decorations or All 3 Holidays Be Represented- Yes
    Favorite Holiday Food- Latkes with a side of applesauce
    Height- 5'3"

As you can see, my qualifications are exemplary. Therefore, I submit my name for consideration for the position of Head Elf.

Thank you.
    Wait a minute... hold on thar!

Since when did Wilson resign his position?

FWIW, I'm pretty similar, except the side of applesauce has been replaced with a fine-crafted Schlafly Christmas Ale. Ymm, Beer! And the Polish church too. And no on the hat, and Secret Santa.

Oh yeah, and I'm 6'7".

Okay, so maybe, we're not that similar.

Guess I'll apply for Hanukkah Harry.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    It's not that I disapprove of someone not wanting to watch the Grinch regularly. Not having ever seen it at all is unacceptable.
    Well in that case, saw the cartoon, hated it, thus don't want to see anything w/the grinch.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Use of the Term Xmas- Yes
    This really bugs me. When using this term it denigrates Christ, who for Christians is the savior of the world, to an X.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    This really bugs me. When using this term it denigrates Christ, who for Christians is the savior of the world, to an X.
    I don't think it denigrates.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    While the article refers to old customs, it also states:

None of this means that Christians (and others) aren't justified in feeling slighted when people write 'Xmas' rather than 'Christmas,' but the point is that the abbreviation was not created specifically for the purpose of demeaining Christ, Christians, Christianity, or Christmas - it's a very old artifact of a very different language.
    We don't honor all old traditions, i.e. burning witches at the stake. Heck, a couple hundred years ago only property owners could vote in the US. Times change and so do traditions.

Why do we have to stick with this old tradition?

Tilly, I agree, I don't like the term "Xmas". JMHO.

Coffee Dilemma

Please put your collective genius to work and help me solve a coffee dilemma.

I like Dunkin Donuts coffee. At work, our cafeteria serves a generic brand and starbucks. I buy the starbucks because it's better than the generic.

We also have Keurig coffee machines with "free" coffee. I don't like that coffee too much. Even more importantly, I'm on my own personal green campaign. The coffee containers for the Keurig machine are plastic and plastic is the environmental devil.

My objective: to use Dunkin Donuts coffee in the Keurig machines in an environmentally friendly way.

Any solutions?

We don't honor all old traditions, i.e. burning witches at the stake. Heck, a couple hundred years ago only property owners could vote in the US. Times change and so do traditions.

Tilly, I'll tell you why I abbreviate Xmas, Xianity, Xian, Xtology, X (for Christ) with an X. It is so I can learn MORE about everything related to Christ/Christianity/religion.

I majored in religion at Duke. In my note-taking, I found that I could get so much more down in my notebook if I abbreviated "Christ" to X. It doesn't mean that I am denigrating my own beliefs, faith or savior. It simply means that I'm trying to write down as much as I can about all of that.

I also used the Greek letter theta in my note-taking for the word God and all words related to theo-logy, theo-logian, even theo-ry. I wish I could show you this with the letter "theta."

Using abbreviations gave me more time to write out words that I needed to understand like paraclete, gnostic, Talmud, midrash, exegisis, eschatology, ecclesiology, soteriology, diaspora, sacerdotalism, etc., I'd never used those words before, so abbreviating the words I had used in the past made sense for my note-taking. I still abbreviate today.

Certainly no disrespect meant on my part at all. I hope my explanation makes sense to you.

Um, guys, the whole thing was meant as tongue-in-cheek. Heck, I'm Jewish applying for Head Elf?!?

That's fine. I just think it's hard to say that the old tradition specifically denigrates Christmas or Christ, and that's what you had said.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Please put your collective genius to work and help me solve a coffee dilemma.

I like Dunkin Donuts coffee. At work, our cafeteria serves a generic brand and starbucks. I buy the starbucks because it's better than the generic.

We also have Keurig coffee machines with "free" coffee. I don't like that coffee too much. Even more importantly, I'm on my own personal green campaign. The coffee containers for the Keurig machine are plastic and plastic is the environmental devil.

My objective: to use Dunkin Donuts coffee in the Keurig machines in an environmentally friendly way.

Any solutions?
    Are we talking coffee espionage? Can the solution involve ninjas and shots of Jaeger? If not, tell me more about the Keurig coffee machine. Does it have a built-in grinder?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    Tilly, I'll tell you why I abbreviate Xmas, Xianity, Xian, Xtology, X (for Christ) with an X. It is so I can learn MORE about everything related to Christ/Christianity/religion.

I majored in religion at Duke. In my note-taking, I found that I could get so much more down in my notebook if I abbreviated "Christ" to X. It doesn't mean that I am denigrating my own beliefs, faith or savior. It simply means that I'm trying to write down as much as I can about all of that.

I also used the Greek letter theta in my note-taking for the word God and all words related to theo-logy, theo-logian, even theo-ry. I wish I could show you this with the letter "theta."

Using abbreviations gave me more time to write out words that I needed to understand like paraclete, gnostic, Talmud, midrash, exegisis, eschatology, ecclesiology, soteriology, diaspora, sacerdotalism, etc., I'd never used those words before, so abbreviating the words I had used in the past made sense for my note-taking. I still abbreviate today.

Certainly no disrespect meant on my part at all. I hope my explanation makes sense to you.
    Brava, Cathy!

Point of reference: I live in a house divided. Being Jewish, I always use "X"mas, but not for abbreviation sake. I use it pretty much as Cathy and bb explained.

ILJ (Christian) always assumed that it was for abbreviation sake. We've gone through this argument.

We've reached agreement. She knows what I mean, and I know what she means.

PAGING HEAD ELF!!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post

I understand what you're saying and appreciate you sharing your thoughts. What you did was in private, you didn't post your notes publicly. It’s the public displays of X that really bother me.

When you get something wrong on a test (which I doubt you did very often, if ever), what symbol did the teacher use to note you were wrong? An X.

The letter X is used to rate adult films.

We use X in describing hypotheticals, i.e. he did it X times, Company X, etc.

I do understand why X was initially used, but we don't live in that world anymore. Just like we are a society more accepting of race, religious beliefs or lack of, and sexual orientation.

God should be special enough to believers that He/She doesn’t get reduced to symbol when he/she doesn’t have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    That's fine. I just think it's hard to say that the old tradition specifically denigrates Christmas or Christ, and that's what you had said.
    I didn’t say the old tradition denigrates Christ. My point is doing so today does. Again, we change traditions as the times change, we should change this tradition.

I also pointed out that even the explanation you provided states it is not wrong for Christians to feel “slighted” when the abbreviation is used.

Folks, we are teetering close the brink of the PPB.

Let's put our heads together and figure out a way to help Fish80. I'm so down for a secret mission.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Are we talking coffee espionage? Can the solution involve ninjas and shots of Jaeger? If not, tell me more about the Keurig coffee machine. Does it have a built-in grinder?
    This is fraught with danger: the bosses (or the mods?) may find out and impose sanctions, a faulty solution could blow up the machine, inappropriate attention to health concerns could result in sickness (or worse) or myriad other dire consequences.

The Keurig machine is a clever invention. Over simplifying, you place a single serving coffee package in the "holster" and press go. When the next person opens the hatch to place in their coffee package, the machine jettisons the prior now used package into a bucket. Periodic emptying of the bucket is required. Of course, I empty the bucket with a much greater frequency than random chance would suggest.

I've tried placing a tea bag in the holster, and the tea brews okay, but the tea bag doesn't properly jettison.

The coffee package is a plastic 2 ounce cup with a sealed foil lid. The machine punctures the package on the top and the bottom and then runs hot water thru it. Inside the package is a filter and finely ground coffee. (We've dissected a few packages.)

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is design a process and product that will recycle or reuse the coffee container and allow unfettered choice of coffee brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    This is fraught with danger: the bosses (or the mods?) may find out and impose sanctions, a faulty solution could blow up the machine, inappropriate attention to health concerns could result in sickness (or worse) or myriad other dire consequences.

The Keurig machine is a clever invention. Over simplifying, you place a single serving coffee package in the "holster" and press go. When the next person opens the hatch to place in their coffee package, the machine jettisons the prior now used package into a bucket. Periodic emptying of the bucket is required. Of course, I empty the bucket with a much greater frequency than random chance would suggest.

I've tried placing a tea bag in the holster, and the tea brews okay, but the tea bag doesn't properly jettison.

The coffee package is a plastic 2 ounce cup with a sealed foil lid. The machine punctures the package on the top and the bottom and then runs hot water thru it. Inside the package is a filter and finely ground coffee. (We've dissected a few packages.)

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is design a process and product that will recycle or reuse the coffee container and allow unfettered choice of coffee brand.
    Ahhhhhhh it's one of "those" machines. Have you tried other brands of single brew cups? Perhaps it's just the Keurig brand flavor that leaves you disappointed. A little googling around shows that Emeril, Timothy's, and Gloria Jean's all make compatible brews.

I'm afraid that the recycling of the coffee container doesn't sound efficient. If you insist, I'll pick up the ninja suit and lab coat from the dry cleaners and see what I can invent.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Ahhhhhhh it's one of "those" machines. Have you tried other brands of single brew cups? Perhaps it's just the Keurig brand flavor that leaves you disappointed. A little googling around shows that Emeril, Timothy's, and Gloria Jean's all make compatible brews.

I'm afraid that the recycling of the coffee container doesn't sound efficient. If you insist, I'll pick up the ninja suit and lab coat from the dry cleaners and see what I can invent.
    My office has a Keurig. We have Green Mountain Roasters cups, and that stuff is nasty. But, Green Mountain Roasters in my coffee pot at home, or back at my alma mater the University of Vermont, is much better.

Fish80, when making tea, we run hot water into our cups, then add a tea bag. Does your machine have that option?

My office has a Keurig. We have Green Mountain Roasters cups, and that stuff is nasty. But, Green Mountain Roasters in my coffee pot at home, or back at my alma mater the University of Vermont, is much better.

Fish80, when making tea, we run hot water into our cups, then add a tea bag. Does your machine have that option?
    Yikes, could it be the pot?

Fish80, how is the water fed to your pot? There are some key factors for making a good cup of coffee, water and the brew are the first two that jump into mind with the machine playing a factor as well. Maybe if you addressed the water situation or looked into cleaning (or descaling) the machine you'd improve the flavor.

I'm afraid this does little to address your environmental concerns though.

I'm hopeful that the recycling or reuse can be efficient.

A paper or cardboard cup would be environmentally friendly and perhaps similar to the plastic cup in production costs.

Reusing the plastic cup would drastically reduce waste. The cost is mostly soft cost of time and a marginal energy cost for any cleaning of the cup.

Yes, it does and I use it. Placing the tea bag in the holster was an experiment to see if there was any potential application to a coffee solution.