Page 59 of 122 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 2439
    Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I was actually going to bring him up as someone who was pretty automatic when he got the ball in the right spot. Goofy guy but his short hook shot was pretty sweet.
    He did some of his best work stretched out on chairs. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    He did some of his best work stretched out on chairs. 😂
    Looking at that photo is like being violated

Mkirsh (Simpson of Michigan)....
    Don’t think I’ve seen a consistent hook with that range ever. Maybe the globe trotters.

just saw a few CB's for Barnes to Oregon and Dickinson to Michigan.

How is Oregon recruiting this well? P12 is basically a mid major in basketball. Horrible tv network. Little national recognition. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    just saw a few CB's for Barnes to Oregon and Dickinson to Michigan.

How is Oregon recruiting this well? P12 is basically a mid major in basketball. Horrible tv network. Little national recognition. What am I missing?
    Spectacular cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    Being in Nike's backyard probably helps. It could also be players want to play in a forest.

This is not a super new thing for them. This year they have the #4 class in the country with CJ Walker and N'Faly Dante as well as the top Juco in the land in Chris Duarte. They got Bol Bol and top 20 Louis King a year ago on their way to what 247 called the #3 class in the country. 2017 included top 15 prospect Troy Brown.

-Jason "Oregon has been out recruiting Arizona and UCLA for several years now and is pretty clearly the top west coast recruiting school" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Being in Nike's backyard probably helps. It could also be players want to play in a forest.

This is not a super new thing for them. This year they have the #4 class in the country with CJ Walker and N'Faly Dante as well as the top Juco in the land in Chris Duarte. They got Bol Bol and top 20 Louis King a year ago on their way to what 247 called the #3 class in the country. 2017 included top 15 prospect Troy Brown.

-Jason "Oregon has been out recruiting Arizona and UCLA for several years now and is pretty clearly the top west coast recruiting school" Evans
    I've lived on the East Coast, West Coast, and in the Southeast, Midwest and Southwest. It's funny how little attention the East Coast pays to the West Coast, even today. I remember a few months ago when the FBI, having solved the terrorism problem, was able to devote considerable time and effort into uncovering the shocking fact that tens of sort-of rich people had been bribing non-revenue coaches at various schools to get their kids in as "athletes" even when they weren't (college athletics, the gift that keeps on giving.) The point here being that a lot of my East Coast friends were like "USC?" "That's a prestige school?" You would bribe your way in?" etc. Yes, USC is huge big deal in California, even if the East Coasters aren't aware. Similarly, Oregon is a huge athletic deal, on the West Coast, even if doesn't loam large in the Eastern radar.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    I've lived on the East Coast, West Coast, and in the Southeast, Midwest and Southwest. It's funny how little attention the East Coast pays to the West Coast, even today. I remember a few months ago when the FBI, having solved the terrorism problem, was able to devote considerable time and effort into uncovering the shocking fact that tens of sort-of rich people had been bribing non-revenue coaches at various schools to get their kids in as "athletes" even when they weren't (college athletics, the gift that keeps on giving.) The point here being that a lot of my East Coast friends were like "USC?" "That's a prestige school?" You would bribe your way in?" etc. Yes, USC is huge big deal in California, even if the East Coasters aren't aware. Similarly, Oregon is a huge athletic deal, on the West Coast, even if doesn't loam large in the Eastern radar.
    If the west coast is such a bid deal, why don't their basketball games start until 10, 11 or even 12 at night?

The point here being that a lot of my East Coast friends were like "USC?" "That's a prestige school?" You would bribe your way in?" etc. Yes, USC is huge big deal in California, even if the East Coasters aren't aware. Similarly, Oregon is a huge athletic deal, on the West Coast, even if doesn't loam large in the Eastern radar.
    Ive been visiting various relatives all over Southern California — Costa Mesa, Burbank, Van Nuys, North Hollywood, Westlake, Rancho Palos Verdes, La Habra Heights, Malibu, etc. — my entire life, and based on what I’ve always heard USC is held in high regard among Californians. US News rankings don’t tell the whole story by any means.

I've lived on the East Coast, West Coast, and in the Southeast, Midwest and Southwest.
    I've been everywhere, man
    I've been everywhere, man
    Crossed the desert's bare, man
    I've breathed the mountain air, man...

Is that you, Johnny?😜
    Last edited by TruBlu; 09-28-2019 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added smiley face to make sure everyone knows I’m just joking

Go to the beach for the girls, or sweat at the gym with the guys ? You make the call !

Not a ton of new information here, but apparently Evan Daniels was told by Dickinson that he will definitely be taking an official visit to Duke...

https://balldurham.com/2019/09/28/du...stability/amp/
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Does our 2020 recruiting say anything about our 2019 class and the draft?

I was thinking about this with the Coleman news... namely, while our 2020 recruiting class is certainly stacked, as usual, so far the only guy who seems like a sure-fire one-and-done lottery pick is Jalen Johnson. Guys in the 20-50 range nationally, where Roach, Steward, and Coleman all stand, tend to be more on the borderline, especially when they're a bit undersized (Roach and Steward are both 6-2/6-3, which is small ish for a modern NBA guard, and Coleman is a bit of a tweener as a 6-7 PF). These guys also are the type who are more likely to be "supporting cast" than definite starters as freshmen.

This is a slight departure from our recruiting strategy of the last few years, where we're recruiting guys who we are planning on coming in and directly replacing the one-and-done's who leave the year before... and Coach K recruits knowing that it is much more likely than not that these guys leave early going in. So does this shift mean that K thinks that this year's class may have more returnees than in the recent past? I won't speculate on who specifically this might mean (because this is already baseless off-season speculation, and I don't want to go too far off the deep end, haha), but the composition of this year's class so-far makes more sense if K is expecting at least one of Carey, Hurt, Stanley, and Moore returning to anchor the starting lineup as a sophomore (much like Tre is doing this year).

Again, I write this with the caveat and disclaimer that it is WAY early for draft speculation on not only this year's class, but next year's. But it is worth acknowledging that a class full of low 5/high 4 stars is different than a class full of definite top-10 recruits and projected lottery picks. There are a lot of things that might explain that shift, but it does seem to be there...
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I was thinking about this with the Coleman news... namely, while our 2020 recruiting class is certainly stacked, as usual, so far the only guy who seems like a sure-fire one-and-done lottery pick is Jalen Johnson. Guys in the 20-50 range nationally, where Roach, Steward, and Coleman all stand, tend to be more on the borderline, especially when they're a bit undersized (Roach and Steward are both 6-2/6-3, which is small ish for a modern NBA guard, and Coleman is a bit of a tweener as a 6-7 PF). These guys also are the type who are more likely to be "supporting cast" than definite starters as freshmen.

This is a slight departure from our recruiting strategy of the last few years, where we're recruiting guys who we are planning on coming in and directly replacing the one-and-done's who leave the year before... and Coach K recruits knowing that it is much more likely than not that these guys leave early going in. So does this shift mean that K thinks that this year's class may have more returnees than in the recent past? I won't speculate on who specifically this might mean (because this is already baseless off-season speculation, and I don't want to go too far off the deep end, haha), but the composition of this year's class so-far makes more sense if K is expecting at least one of Carey, Hurt, Stanley, and Moore returning to anchor the starting lineup as a sophomore (much like Tre is doing this year).

Again, I write this with the caveat and disclaimer that it is WAY early for draft speculation on not only this year's class, but next year's. But it is worth acknowledging that a class full of low 5/high 4 stars is different than a class full of definite top-10 recruits and projected lottery picks. There are a lot of things that might explain that shift, but it does seem to be there...
    I think it's just a result of other one and done targets that went elsewhere. Cole Anthony, BJ Boston, Terrence Clarke and Walker Kessler were all recruited by Duke and probably one and dones, but decided to go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post

I think it's misleading to suggest that the strategy differs any for the 2020 class than the past classes just because the outcome has differed. Looking at the 247 duke offers list, K and staff gave out offers to recruits No. 2, No. 5, No. 6, No. 13, No. 15, No. 20, No. 26, No. 29, No.34, and No. 40*. That looks pretty similar to the last few years of recruiting targets. The commits just happen to scattered across the list than the front loaded classes we've seen lately. That said, I don't think the intent was to focus more on multi-year guys any more than they historically have, but the way things have gone with the '19-20 class and the (current) '20-21 class, that may be how things play out.

I'd be interested (in a philosophical sense, but not a practical one) to see the reaction around these parts if we see a couple of years of leaner season and postseason success but more players sticking around longer. That's been the general "hope" of many, but it's easy to say that when we've largely been a top-5, top-10 team every year with elite talent replacing elite talent.

*Duke commits bolded

ETA: Looks like 907bluedevils beats me to it...I type too slowly, it seems.

Duke also was all in on Cunningham before Oklahoma State hired his brother. Watch one of the 2021 supers reclass to 2020 and see how long it takes Duke to swoop in for the kill.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke also was all in on Cunningham before Oklahoma State hired his brother. Watch one of the 2021 supers reclass to 2020 and see how long it takes Duke to swoop in for the kill.
    Knock knock: Kuminga

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I'd be interested (in a philosophical sense, but not a practical one) to see the reaction around these parts if we see a couple of years of leaner season and postseason success but more players sticking around longer. That's been the general "hope" of many, but it's easy to say that when we've largely been a top-5, top-10 team every year with elite talent replacing elite talent.

*Duke commits bolded

ETA: Looks like 907bluedevils beats me to it...I type too slowly, it seems.
    If we only add Mark Williams to the current class and only return AOC, JG, JB and C Stanley from this year's team, I believe that's still the most talented roster in the ACC not named UNC. That would probably be a sweet 16 projected team with upside potential. And I don't think that's likely to happen. I expect us to add at least two more players to the class and for at least one of Carey, Hurt, Moore to stay another year.

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    I think it's just a result of other one and done targets that went elsewhere. Cole Anthony, BJ Boston, Terrence Clarke and Walker Kessler were all recruited by Duke and probably one and dones, but decided to go elsewhere.
    Why is Kessler a likely OAD? He seems fairly average athletically. He’s not a great outside shooter. I don’t see him as being what the modern NBA is looking for in a big man. He projects as a backup center in the NBA as far as I can tell. That doesn’t seem like the profile of a OAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Why is Kessler a likely OAD? He seems fairly average athletically. He’s not a great outside shooter. I don’t see him as being what the modern NBA is looking for in a big man. He projects as a backup center in the NBA as far as I can tell. That doesn’t seem like the profile of a OAD.
    I mean he's going to UNC for a reason. He knows he will be in "college" for at least a couple years. He took the easy route.