Page 1624 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 62411241524157416141622162316241625162616341674172421242624 ... LastLast
Results 32,461 to 32,480 of 67649
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I have not yet come to grips with the fact that I neither want to be or can be handy (beyond certain basics) in home improvements. It is a sort of great shame.

I think it's mostly a patience thing. I also get pissed off by the sheer diversity of nail and screw sizes, tools specification, etc. I derive no enjoyment from cataloging and cultivating an arsenal of home improvement tools. I am not Hank Hill.
    I find Youtube videos quite helpful. I can usually tell if it looks over my head.

I definitely have many times wished for a more expansive and specified tool kit. The correct tool can make all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ah, ok...so they pop out the old glass unit that has lost its seal...it is two panes of glass with a narrow aluminum border around them, and there is gas in between the panes of glass...the company that comes to my house sends away for these units (I'm sure it's not trivial to seal them) then just pops the new sealed unit into place. Still, it's cheap, as I said three windows done for under $500...
    Okay, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was a separate unit or the frame was part of the seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I definitely have many times wished for a more expansive and specified tool kit. The correct tool can make all the difference.
    This is often what differentiates a pro from an amateur.

.. The correct tool can make all the difference.
    Husband-of-weezie, sweetie! Come on now. honey, you have so many things to do. What are you doing here? Get back to the list.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

First hard freeze coming tonight. Lows in mid-20s.

My “project” deficiency is more than made up for by my skill in the kitchen. So, there’s that. I guess we’ve only been home owners for a few years now so we’re taking the standard crash course in all that’s required. Before we were big city renters and a little nomadic. Not sure I would have settled if I knew how much time in Lowe’s it required! Aisles and bays, man, aisles and bays for days.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I have not yet come to grips with the fact that I neither want to be or can be handy (beyond certain basics) in home improvements. It is a sort of great shame.

I think it's mostly a patience thing. I also get pissed off by the sheer diversity of nail and screw sizes, tools specification, etc. I derive no enjoyment from cataloging and cultivating an arsenal of home improvement tools. I am not Hank Hill.
    I'm just not cut out to be Mr. Fixit, I have the same lack of patience you have. I've owned this home for 30 years, and have come to grips with what I can do and what I can't or shouldn't do. It's a good place to be.

I love tools. Bought 20v battery powered Dewalt power tool set last year for the mission trip. Since I wasn't sure what we would be doing and wanted to be sure we had the proper tools, it was my excuse - circular saw, reciprocating saw, drill/driver, and impact driver. I really need to find a home improvement class so I can learn to do things with them.

I grew up with two older brothers and a do-it-yourself if at all possible dad. In my first house, I soon had a dripping bathtub faucet. I hired a plumber, watched him fix it, asked him questions. No, it did not drive him crazy, I think he actually liked the idea that I wanted to do it myself. I later taught my older brother how to fix a dripping faucet. Through YouTube, I can change my own air filter, both engine and cabin, and I can change out a headlight bulb. There are a few more things I would like to learn to do myself. Thinking about asking my neighbor to teach me how to weld. Yard Art!!!

Oh, in my twenties, I asked for a Dremel for Christmas. Both my brothers were jealous.

A late afternoon pick me up:

Cold day. Coldest of the year so far. First ground frost.

It’s days like today that I look over my property at my Amish neighbor and hope they’ve got all their wood for the winter. Otherwise, going to be some cold starts. I don’t know what the plumbing situation is but doing your business in an outhouse on a cold day all the time isn’t worth all the shoofly pie in the world.
    Last edited by bundabergdevil; 11-18-2020 at 07:11 AM.

28 here this morning. Brrrrr...

44 this morning with a 77 high. Days like today are why I endure the San Antonio summers.

Cold here this morning too. 37 right now.

40 here, brrr. Gonna be 70 Friday though, and 73 Saturday, all with sunshine and light breeze. Ymmmm.

19 degrees, three inches of snow, time for a trek with the wife and dog...looks kind of nice out there...

28 here this morning. Brrrrr...
    Are you back from Ocracoke?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Are you back from Ocracoke?
    For now!

So, does everyone realize what is coming soon?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Friday is Absurdity Day?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    A monorail?