Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I love what quinn cook gave us in 2015, but i'm baffled at the fascination of bringing him in as a coach. While he was out of position as a PG, some of his biggest faults were not reacting well to changes in the defense. I still have nightmares of his constantly dribbling himself into a hole against the UL press. That is not a quality that screams to me "this guy NEEDS to be a coach on our bench." It was only when he was moved out of that role that he really succeeded (with a, forgive me, much more capable PG at the helm).

So if we're throwing out former players who we liked, why not tyler thorton, lance thomas, amile jefferson, andre dawkins, matt jones, and ryan kelly? All of whom I think exhibit at least as much "coach-y-ness" as Quinn.
    I'm certainly not gonna write a guy off as a coach b/c of one game against a legit title contender. He's had PLENTY of time learning at a NBA level which undoubtedly makes college much easier.

And as Blue stated, he also brings in intangibles and an infectious attitude - and most importantly - youth. I can remember plenty of games where Nolan upset me but he was also brought along slowly (like most of our assistants) - and his title was "Special Assistant".

I wouldn't discount having KD, LeBron, and Steph Curry on speed dial...

Lastly, not all coaches are there for the X's and O's, they have other jobs such as scheduling workouts, training oversight, player scouting and recruiting - amongst other things.

Quinn is 28 and played on 2 NBA teams this past season. I'm certain he is hoping to get a spot on a team this coming year, something that would be worth $1,939,350 to him (min salary for a 5-year veteran) to say nothing of the extra contribution to his NBA pension (likely to be several hundreds thousand dollars of income when he turns 50).

But, if Quinn doesn't find a NBA gig this coming season, the timing might work out really well for him to be available next summer when a new opening appears on the Duke bench.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Quinn is 28 and played on 2 NBA teams this past season. I'm certain he is hoping to get a spot on a team this coming year, something that would be worth $1,939,350 to him (min salary for a 5-year veteran) to say nothing of the extra contribution to his NBA pension (likely to be several hundreds thousand dollars of income when he turns 50).

But, if Quinn doesn't find a NBA gig this coming season, the timing might work out really well for him to be available next summer when a new opening appears on the Duke bench.
    Well, he CAN'T be hired as an assistant this offseason anyway, as we are at our allotted 3. But I'm of the mind that he probably won't be an option next summer either, for the reasons you've outlined. I suspect he'll want to see out the remainder of his NBA career dreams before taking a substantial paycut to be the lowest assistant on the totem pole.

That said, as to the question about "why Cook?", I am actually fully on board with the idea of him eventually becoming an assistant for us. Mainly because I think he'd be a fantastic recruiter. He connects well with, well, everyone. I don't have any ideas about his Xs and Os, but I'm sure he would be a big plus on the recruiting trail in terms of bonding with recruits and selling Duke.

I just doubt he'll be joining the fold anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, he CAN'T be hired as an assistant this offseason anyway, as we are at our allotted 3. But I'm of the mind that he probably won't be an option next summer either, for the reasons you've outlined. I suspect he'll want to see out the remainder of his NBA career dreams before taking a substantial paycut to be the lowest assistant on the totem pole.

That said, as to the question about "why Cook?", I am actually fully on board with the idea of him eventually becoming an assistant for us. Mainly because I think he'd be a fantastic recruiter. He connects well with, well, everyone. I don't have any ideas about his Xs and Os, but I'm sure he would be a big plus on the recruiting trail in terms of bonding with recruits and selling Duke.

I just doubt he'll be joining the fold anytime soon.
    Based on the number of 3 point shots missed in these playoffs he should land somewhere.

I'm just happy the staff keeps evolving. It's actually been fantastic to watch over the last 20 years as people come in, move up and then fly the coup. I actually see Nolan and Scheyer as a Dean and Bill Gutheridge kinda combo that could be together for many many years.

As the staff evolves it always brings me back to K's interview with John Wooden, where basically Wooden tells K that the mentoring never stops and was mentoring K during the interview. Just fascinating that K is now in the Wooden role.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    As the staff evolves it always brings me back to K's interview with John Wooden, where basically Wooden tells K that the mentoring never stops and was mentoring K during the interview. Just fascinating that K is now in the Wooden role.
    Ah yes, the eternal circle of life.

Well, he CAN'T be hired as an assistant this offseason anyway, as we are at our allotted 3.
    Probably correct under normal circumstaces, but in an unusual situation, such as when the GOAT coaches retires, there could be special provisions for an extra coach in a transition. We may have no way of knowing, and I certainly have no inside information, but wouldn't Coach K be able to specify how his transition is managed? Or is there an NCAA rule about size of coaching staffs? This extra coach may not be courtside for games, but could participate in practices, recruiting, game reviews and/or player management. Maybe this is wishful thinking and the rules do not allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Probably correct under normal circumstaces, but in an unusual situation, such as when the GOAT coaches retires, there could be special provisions for an extra coach in a transition. We may have no way of knowing, and I certainly have no inside information, but wouldn't Coach K be able to specify how his transition is managed? Or is there an NCAA rule about size of coaching staffs? This extra coach may not be courtside for games, but could participate in practices, recruiting, game reviews and/or player management. Maybe this is wishful thinking and the rules do not allow it.
    There is an NCAA limit of three assistants, of which Scheyer is one until he officially replaces Coach K. “Head coach in waiting” is still an assistant position.

You can have grad assistants, which is what Smith was last year until Nate James left. But that position has major restrictions, presumably pays even less. I think it is pretty unlikely Cook would take an assistant coach job at this point in his career, let alone a grad assistant job.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Based on the number of 3 point shots missed in these playoffs he should land somewhere.

I'm just happy the staff keeps evolving. It's actually been fantastic to watch over the last 20 years as people come in, move up and then fly the coup. I actually see Nolan and Scheyer as a Dean and Bill Gutheridge kinda combo that could be together for many many years.

You think that Nolan would be happy in an assistant role for many many years? I expect that he has higher aspirations; I'd be disappointed if he didn't.

I recall K saying that he only wanted assistant coaches who wanted to become head coaches.
    Last edited by Bay Area Duke Fan; 06-17-2021 at 06:44 PM.

There is an NCAA limit of three assistants, of which Scheyer is one until he officially replaces Coach K. “Head coach in waiting” is still an assistant position.

You can have grad assistants, which is what Smith was last year until Nate James left. But that position has major restrictions, presumably pays even less. I think it is pretty unlikely Cook would take an assistant coach job at this point in his career, let alone a grad assistant job.
    Nolan Smith was Director of Basketball Operations and Player Development before moving into James' assistant spot. He was listed as a Special Assistant prior to that.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Nolan Smith was Director of Basketball Operations and Player Development before moving into James' assistant spot. He was listed as a Special Assistant prior to that.
    Thanks for providing the correction. Same point applies whether talking grad assistant or Director of…

Quinn Cook is not joining the Duke staff this year, and isn’t allowed to be an assistant coach for us this year even if he wanted (per NCAA rules). I would suspect he won’t join for 2022-23 either, but at least then the assistant spot would be an option.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I think it's interesting that many here assume that to be a great coach one needs to have been a great player. Like athletic ability somehow translates into a masterful skillset when it comes to strategy.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think it's interesting that many here assume that to be a great coach one needs to have been a great player. Like athletic ability somehow translates into a masterful skillset when it comes to strategy.
    I don't understand the general opinion of this board that Quin has interest in coaching. Has there been any evidence of this? Or do we all just think fondly of him and his leadership?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I don't understand the general opinion of this board that Quin has interest in coaching. Has there been any evidence of this? Or do we all just think fondly of him and his leadership?
    Yeah, I am not sure I get that either. Though I think most of the discussion is around him as a wish rather than an expectation. I don’t think he is joining the Duke bench anytime soon (if at all), but I can understand folks’ desire as he seems like he would be a great recruiter.

Yeah, I am not sure I get that either. Though I think most of the discussion is around him as a wish rather than an expectation. I don’t think he is joining the Duke bench anytime soon (if at all), but I can understand folks’ desire as he seems like he would be a great recruiter.
    But then, where do we get that idea from? What has he done that shows him to be a great recruiter? I get that he's a leader, an attitude guy, etc...

But then, where do we get that idea from? What has he done that shows him to be a great recruiter? I get that he's a leader, an attitude guy, etc...
    I don't think it has anything to do with leadership or attitude. It's all about personality. He is one of the most universally well-liked players among other players, and has an amazing ability to bond with players across the spectrum. One of the major aspects of recruiting is the ability to connect on a personal level with the recruit. And Cook's infectious personality would likely suit very well on the recruiting trail.

Is that proven? Obviously not. But I'd bet pretty confidently on his ability as a recruiter if I were a betting man (which I'm not).

I don't think it has anything to do with leadership or attitude. It's all about personality. He is one of the most universally well-liked players among other players, and has an amazing ability to bond with players across the spectrum. One of the major aspects of recruiting is the ability to connect on a personal level with the recruit. And Cook's infectious personality would likely suit very well on the recruiting trail.

Is that proven? Obviously not. But I'd bet pretty confidently on his ability as a recruiter if I were a betting man (which I'm not).
    I mean, "it's not leadership or attitude, it's personality" sounds like you are saying "it's not personality, it's personality."

Anyway, I'm clearly in the minority here. I'd love to see Quin on staff, I just haven't seen anything to indicate his interest.

I mean, "it's not leadership or attitude, it's personality" sounds like you are saying "it's not personality, it's personality."
    I mean, we can quibble over semantics if you like . I was using personality as "what people like in terms of hanging out" as opposed to his on-court characteristics.

Anyway, I'm clearly in the minority here. I'd love to see Quin on staff, I just haven't seen anything to indicate his interest.
    I don't think you're in the minority actually. This sentence is exactly my view as well. And I don't think anyone here has said he'd be interested in the job.

But "lack of evidence of his interest in the job" is a very different discussion from "would he be a good/great recruiter?" or "would he be a good choice as assistant?"

I mean, we can quibble over semantics if you like . I was using personality as "what people like in terms of hanging out" as opposed to his on-court characteristics.

I don't think you're in the minority actually. This sentence is exactly my view as well. And I don't think anyone here has said he'd be interested in the job.

But "lack of evidence of his interest in the job" is a very different discussion from "would he be a good/great recruiter?" or "would he be a good choice as assistant?"
    I mean okay. I don't see a great leader and automatically think "I'd love to have a beer with that guy" I guess.

Anyway, to me it feels like folks assuming Brad Stevens was going to come to Duke absent any evidence whatsoever. Sure, it's a slim possibility, but taking it as a given seems presumptuous.

I mean okay. I don't see a great leader and automatically think "I'd love to have a beer with that guy" I guess..
    A good assistant coach doesn't have to be a great leader, though. That's the exact reason I was making that distinction. The reason folks want him here is because they think he'd be great at connecting with young players and thus a great recruiter. It isn't his leadership qualities that are why folks have expressed interest in him as an assistant.

Anyway, to me it feels like folks assuming Brad Stevens was going to come to Duke absent any evidence whatsoever. Sure, it's a slim possibility, but taking it as a given seems presumptuous.
    I don't think anybody is assuming that Cook is coming. A few folks are expressing a big desire for him to come, but I don't think anyone has suggested he's coming. Just that they want him to come.

I'd also argue that a former Duke player coming back to coach under a coach he had previously played for would seem at least a good bit less improbable than a guy with no ties to Duke whatsoever. Though, again, I don't think Cook will be coming back to Duke anytime soon, if ever.

A good assistant coach doesn't have to be a great leader, though. That's the exact reason I was making that distinction. The reason folks want him here is because they think he'd be great at connecting with young players and thus a great recruiter. It isn't his leadership qualities that are why folks have expressed interest in him as an assistant.

I don't think anybody is assuming that Cook is coming. A few folks are expressing a big desire for him to come, but I don't think anyone has suggested he's coming. Just that they want him to come.

I'd also argue that a former Duke player coming back to coach under a coach he had previously played for would seem at least a good bit less improbable than a guy with no ties to Duke whatsoever. Though, again, I don't think Cook will be coming back to Duke anytime soon, if ever.
    Just think, before Scheyer's eye got injured - WHO would have thought he would end up as Duke's head coach just a paltry 10 years later? So the pontification can be fun. But best believe that if there are some things we can see, the coaching staff can as well. Quinn is obviously a wish but we have a a nice sized group of folks who have been in the program who might want to come back and work on their coaching chops.

And if Scheyer brings us some trophies, we are likely gonna have to restock those positions once again but we are likely set for the next five years or so with Carrawell, Smith and whoever gets added next.

Cause truth be told, I'd like to see a big man coach on that bench and Shelden Williams is available. I'd love to watch him work with Mark on blocking techniques.