Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    FWIW, on almost every Michigan broadcast it gets mentioned that Howard Eisley or Phil Martelli could be potential hires at BC. If that's who they're eyeing, hopefully they won't be making any decisions for a long time (which would mean Michigan makes a deep tourney run), haha.
    Bruce Pearl is a BC grad. I don’t believe he would leave Auburn, but would certainly breathe some life in a dead program if he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladuke View Post
    Bruce Pearl is a BC grad. I don’t believe he would leave Auburn, but would certainly breathe some life in a dead program if he did.
    a) too toxic
    b) I’m not even sure BC is a better job than Auburn at this point.

I would be surprised if the choice is not Howard Eisley or John Beilein.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    a) too toxic
    b) I’m not even sure BC is a better job than Auburn at this point.

I would be surprised if the choice is not Howard Eisley or John Beilein.
    I agree, I think Auburn is a better job for many reasons.

AZ

Can Sean Miller survive at Arizona? NCAA allegations are quite ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I agree, I think Auburn is a better job for many reasons.
    Me too, and with the players he has returning (everyone, if they choose), and a very good recruiting class, they should be back in the thick of the SEC race next year. I don’t think he will leave, but BC needs a top flight coach who can turn a program around. I would expect them to at least make an inquiry to one of their own.

I'm not sure Indiana is really "Indiana" anymore. You've got a pretty significant rebuild to attempt, and the program doesn't brand like it did in the 20C. I know you have a lot of laundry in the ceiling, but the current HS crew's *parents* were youngsters at the end of the era when IU was truly excelling on the regular (1993).

Since that [outlier] FF in 2002, they haven't even made it to a Region Final. Crean had a few nice years with three S16s, and that's the high water mark since then. Oladipo is their only consensus first team A-A in the last 20y. Thet do still have a winning record against every B1G school but Purdue. But the center of gravity of the conference has moved to a Michigan-Michigan State-Ohio State triangle.

They're not exactly Saint John's, but nor are they in the Duke/Carolina/Kentucky/Kansas tier any longer. You've got an itchy fanbase that believes the program should be better than it presently is. Bloomington is a HOF college town and the campus is pee-your-pants beautiful, but you're always going to be compared to McCracken's and RMK's accomplishments. If you're at the level of a Brad Stevens, you're reallllllly gonna have to like Indiana to walk into that.

Bigger picture, I wonder what happens not only with Krzyzewski's looming retirement, but also some others that aren't all that far off. Boeheim (1944-), Krzyzewski (1947-), Williams (1950-), Izzo (1955-). Izzo is the spring chicken, in his age 66 calendar year. Calipari (1959-) and Self (1962-) are still down in the vicinity of sixty.

Williams and Krzyzewski alone eat a LOT of Big Macs. I also like Carolina's chances to stay "Carolina" post-Roy better than I do our chances to stay "Duke." As Dave Odom quipped, when you're recruiting there's a power in the name of the school and the name of the state being the same name. Duke is not a one-coach school; Bubas and Cameron were nationaly relevant, and Gerard, Bradley, and Foster are certainly worth mentioning. But we also lack some of the natural advantages enjoyed by Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, and in theory UCLA. Maybe we thrive. But. I wish I could remember who said it here perhaps 20ya--Rob Clough?--"There is a one hundred percent chance our next coach won't be as good as Mike Krzyzewski." That's the downside of living without the GOAT.

Not Stevens specifically, but if you're at a Stevens level, and you're still youngish, and you have the luxury of choosing whether to stay in the NBA or to ride in on an elephant and attempt a Sabanesque restoration of a blue blood program to its true glory, like Indiana. Say. Might it make more sense to wait out Krzyzewski and Williams at least, and wait for Izzo/Self/Calipari to get a little closer to their dotage? Timing is huge in world-class careers.

Who knows. But if you're looking to get onto an Indiana limestone Mount Rushmore with McCracken and RMK, I might like the timing better a few years from now rather than now. Remember the Athletic story on "The pi$$ and the miss" Egg Bowl and the huge chain reaction in employment changes for coaches? Unless somebody from the pros replaces him, I feel like Krzyzyewski's eventual retirement is going to set off an epochal Carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    But. I wish I could remember who said it here perhaps 20ya--Rob Clough?--"There is a one hundred percent chance our next coach won't be as good as Mike Krzyzewski." That's the downside of living without the GOAT.
    Nothing is 100%. There's a "goat" in every sport, heck every profession, until another "goat" comes along. In fairly recent history, Billy Donovan may have approached/surpassed K's numbers if he had stayed at Florida.

Highly unlikely, yes. 100%, no.

Bigger picture, I wonder what happens not only with Krzyzewski's looming retirement, but also some others that aren't all that far off. Boeheim (1944-), Krzyzewski (1947-), Williams (1950-), Izzo (1955-). Izzo is the spring chicken, in his age 66 calendar year. Calipari (1959-) and Self (1962-) are still down in the vicinity of sixty.

Williams and Krzyzewski alone eat a LOT of Big Macs. I also like Carolina's chances to stay "Carolina" post-Roy better than I do our chances to stay "Duke." As Dave Odom quipped, when you're recruiting there's a power in the name of the school and the name of the state being the same name. Duke is not a one-coach school; Bubas and Cameron were nationaly relevant, and Gerard, Bradley, and Foster are certainly worth mentioning. But we also lack some of the natural advantages enjoyed by Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, and in theory UCLA. Maybe we thrive. But. I wish I could remember who said it here perhaps 20ya--Rob Clough?--"There is a one hundred percent chance our next coach won't be as good as Mike Krzyzewski." That's the downside of living without the GOAT.

Not Stevens specifically, but if you're at a Stevens level, and you're still youngish, and you have the luxury of choosing whether to stay in the NBA or to ride in on an elephant and attempt a Sabanesque restoration of a blue blood program to its true glory, like Indiana. Say. Might it make more sense to wait out Krzyzewski and Williams at least, and wait for Izzo/Self/Calipari to get a little closer to their dotage? Timing is huge in world-class careers.

Who knows. But if you're looking to get onto an Indiana limestone Mount Rushmore with McCracken and RMK, I might like the timing better a few years from now rather than now. Remember the Athletic story on "The pi$$ and the miss" Egg Bowl and the huge chain reaction in employment changes for coaches? Unless somebody from the pros replaces him, I feel like Krzyzyewski's eventual retirement is going to set off an epochal Carousel.
    Two very good and thoughtful posts on the matter. Agree with you that Indiana is nowhere near the power in the sport that it once was (duh) and that their fans have not come to terms with that. Hence the pressure for Archie Miller's ouster. And yes the center of gravity as you put it in the Big 10 is shifting. I remain to be convinced of Ohio State's longer term position in the top echelon. Not saying they won't be, but I need to see more. Michigan certainly appears ready to be a regular at or close to the top of the league. The issue there will be whether Juwan Howard can resist the siren song of the NBA when it comes calling, as it inevitably will, in order to remain at his alma mater. Can Brad Underwood sustain what he's started at Illinois? He got an unexpected break with a second year out of Kofi Cockburn, but sometimes those kinds of breaks are what you need to get something rolling. I happen to think that Illinois basketball has long been a sleeping giant. Maybe Underwood is awakening it.

With respect to Brad Stevens, if he was to be interested in a return to college, I don't think he would be wise to try to thread the needle too finely by waiting for K, Roy, and a few others to exit the scene. There are always going to be outstanding coaches and programs that you're going to have to compete with. You can't wait out those guys, plus Izzo and Calipari and Self and Few and Wright and .. and .. and ... You have to go when the time is right for you. And if he waits too long, and then things do go sour in Boston, perhaps his status as a perceived savior to any college program is diminished in a significant way. But I don't think Stevens is going anywhere. He's an excellent NBA coach and Boston would be crazy to move against him. I don't think they will. And we know that it is the rare successful NBA coach indeed who pulls the plug and heads back to college.

Two very good and thoughtful posts on the matter. Agree with you that Indiana is nowhere near the power in the sport that it once was (duh) and that their fans have not come to terms with that. Hence the pressure for Archie Miller's ouster. And yes the center of gravity as you put it in the Big 10 is shifting. I remain to be convinced of Ohio State's longer term position in the top echelon. Not saying they won't be, but I need to see more. Michigan certainly appears ready to be a regular at or close to the top of the league. The issue there will be whether Juwan Howard can resist the siren song of the NBA when it comes calling, as it inevitably will, in order to remain at his alma mater. Can Brad Underwood sustain what he's started at Illinois? He got an unexpected break with a second year out of Kofi Cockburn, but sometimes those kinds of breaks are what you need to get something rolling. I happen to think that Illinois basketball has long been a sleeping giant. Maybe Underwood is awakening it.

With respect to Brad Stevens, if he was to be interested in a return to college, I don't think he would be wise to try to thread the needle too finely by waiting for K, Roy, and a few others to exit the scene. There are always going to be outstanding coaches and programs that you're going to have to compete with. You can't wait out those guys, plus Izzo and Calipari and Self and Few and Wright and .. and .. and ... You have to go when the time is right for you. And if he waits too long, and then things do go sour in Boston, perhaps his status as a perceived savior to any college program is diminished in a significant way. But I don't think Stevens is going anywhere. He's an excellent NBA coach and Boston would be crazy to move against him. I don't think they will. And we know that it is the rare successful NBA coach indeed who pulls the plug and heads back to college.
    Thank you.

Stitiously, I feel like any small chance there ever was of Stevens coming here have been squelched by Duke people talking about it all the time. A return to college makes very little sense for him, and even if things do take a wrong turn in Boston, he's highly employable in the top basketball league in the world, which he broke into in his 30s.

I'm glad you mentioned Illinois. There are a healthy number of their alumni down here in Mound City, and they had some hard years under Groce. (Our sports radio guys do find some time to grouse about Illinois after they finish with Mizzou and SLU). This is another program that has a pretty impressive, all-time top 20ish history, and basketball-school fans who don't take kindly to missing the Big Dance. The B1G isn't getting easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Can Sean Miller survive at Arizona? NCAA allegations are quite ugly.
    According to the NCAA”s Notice of Allegations, the following incidents were violations.

• From March 2016 to September 2017, Former Wildcats assistant coach Book Richardson and assistant coach Mark Phelps helped two recruits by arraigning “false academic transcripts.” Richardson allegedly paid $40,000 for the documents. Both recruits, who were not named in the report, ended up playing for the Wildcats. According to the NOA, this was a Level I violation.

• At some point between March 2017 and September 2017, Richardson accepted $20,000 in bribes from a sports agent to get a Wildcats player to sign with the agent when he went pro. According to the NOA, this was a Level I violation.

• In June 2017, Phelps gave a $500 loan to a player to the player could buy a plane ticket to visit a friend or family member. According to the NOA, this was a Level II violation.

• In July 2017 and January 2019, Phelps told a player to delete text messages that referred to the ongoing NCAA investigation. Phelps also allegedly told the player to provide “false or misleading information” to investigators. According to the NOA, this was a Level I violation.

• In July 2016, Phelps allegedly asked a player to help recruit two athletes. According to the NOA, this was a Level III violation.

• From March 2016 to September 2017, Sean Miller failed to monitor both Richardson and Phelps. According to the NOA, this was a Level I violation.

• From October 2018 to September 2019, assistant swimming and diving coach Dwight Dumais helped a booster connect with a swimmer the school was trying to recruit. He also allegedly helped local swim club families get “preferential treatment benefits” and hosted impermissible tryouts. According to the NOA, this was a Level II violation.

• From November 2018 to September 2019, head swimming and diving coach Augie Busch failed to monitor Dumais and stop what happened. According to the NOA, this was a Level II violation.

• From March 2016 to September 2019, the University of Arizona failed to “exercise institutional control and monitor the conduct and administration” the men’s basketball and swimming/diving programs. According to the NOA, this was a Level I violation.

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    According to the NCAA's Notice of Allegations, the following incidents were violations.

• From March 2016 to September 2017, Former Wildcats assistant coach Book Richardson and assistant coach Mark Phelps helped two recruits by arraigning “false academic transcripts.” Richardson allegedly paid $40,000 for the documents. Both recruits, who were not named in the report, ended up playing for the Wildcats. According to the NOA, this was a Level I violation.

• At some point between March 2017 and September 2017, Richardson accepted $20,000 in bribes from a sports agent to get a Wildcats player to sign with the agent when he went pro. According to the NOA, this was a Level I violation.

• In June 2017, Phelps gave a $500 loan to a player to the player could buy a plane ticket to visit a friend or family member. According to the NOA, this was a Level II violation.

• In July 2017 and January 2019, Phelps told a player to delete text messages that referred to the ongoing NCAA investigation. Phelps also allegedly told the player to provide “false or misleading information” to investigators. According to the NOA, this was a Level I violation.

• In July 2016, Phelps allegedly asked a player to help recruit two athletes. According to the NOA, this was a Level III violation.

• From March 2016 to September 2017, Sean Miller failed to monitor both Richardson and Phelps. According to the NOA, this was a Level I violation.

• From October 2018 to September 2019, assistant swimming and diving coach Dwight Dumais helped a booster connect with a swimmer the school was trying to recruit. He also allegedly helped local swim club families get “preferential treatment benefits” and hosted impermissible tryouts. According to the NOA, this was a Level II violation.

• From November 2018 to September 2019, head swimming and diving coach Augie Busch failed to monitor Dumais and stop what happened. According to the NOA, this was a Level II violation.

• From March 2016 to September 2019, the University of Arizona failed to “exercise institutional control and monitor the conduct and administration” the men’s basketball and swimming/diving programs. According to the NOA, this was a Level I violation.
    Not to quote my own post, but...

During the Infractions Referral Committee’s Independent Accountability Resolution Process (IARP), a group of “investigators, advocates and adjudicators” will review the case and hand down punishment, if infractions are found.”

The decision of the committee, which is newly formed, is final and there are no appeal. There is no time table for when anything will be final.

According to Gregg Doyel of the Indianapolis Star, some of the punishments that the IRC can hand down are:

• A five-year postseason ban
    • Heavy fines and loss of revenue
    • A life-time banishment for coaches
    • Severe reduction in recruiting trips

A few note on Sean Miller's contract with the University of Arizona:

— Miller's contract runs through May 31, 2022, and includes a half-dozen provisions where he can be fired for cause, including for "material or repetitive" violations of NCAA policies.

— He can also be fired for demonstrated dishonesty or for substantial neglect of assigned duties.

— Miller is paid $2.5 million in base pay per season, plus more for endorsement deals. In 2018, he agreed to forfeit $1 million if he commits a major NCAA violation or is criminally charged related to his employment, under an amended contract approved by the Regents.

I said this in another thread, but in addition to the potential retirement of the coaches you mention, there is also the looming Name/Image/Likeness issue for NCAA players. Will that influx in cash change the balance of power in hoops as well? Would it make a larger market school, like UCLA, able to show more $$$ to potential big time recruits and regain relevance? Or will the established "brands" of Duke, UK, Kansas, etc hold more marketing appeal? Or will this just be around the edges and not change much? It's possible that mens college basketball in 2025 looks absolutely nothing like it does today.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

I have a sneaky suspicion that, following this year, Warde Manuel is going to go to Juwan and say, "Name your price." That might help quiet those rumors for at least a little bit, but I agree they're definitely going to dog Howard if he continues at this pace and given his NBA connections. But considering his son is currently a freshman at Michigan, with another likely on the way in the 2022 class (and this one is a Top 100 recruit), I'd think he'll be wearing Maize and Blue for at least a few more years
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I'm not sure Indiana is really "Indiana" anymore. You've got a pretty significant rebuild to attempt, and the program doesn't brand like it did in the 20C. I know you have a lot of laundry in the ceiling, but the current HS crew's *parents* were youngsters at the end of the era when IU was truly excelling on the regular (1993).

Since that [outlier] FF in 2002, they haven't even made it to a Region Final. Crean had a few nice years with three S16s, and that's the high water mark since then. Oladipo is their only consensus first team A-A in the last 20y. Thet do still have a winning record against every B1G school but Purdue. But the center of gravity of the conference has moved to a Michigan-Michigan State-Ohio State triangle.

They're not exactly Saint John's, but nor are they in the Duke/Carolina/Kentucky/Kansas tier any longer. You've got an itchy fanbase that believes the program should be better than it presently is. Bloomington is a HOF college town and the campus is pee-your-pants beautiful, but you're always going to be compared to McCracken's and RMK's accomplishments. If you're at the level of a Brad Stevens, you're reallllllly gonna have to like Indiana to walk into that.
    I brought up Stevens to IU earlier as he grew up there in their heyday, but I agree with everything you have said. IU is not a marquis job anymore, so if they want someone great it will have to be someone who has a unique interest in the school. All that said, Stevens is not leaving the NBA at this point - even if he gets fired by the Celtics, the NBA loves to re-hire guys (Rivers, Donovan, Thibodeau, Brooks, Vogel, Lue, SVG, Budenholzer, etc - heck it seams half the coaches in the league are re-treads) - so Stevens coming to Duke is a pipe dream, but not any more realistic than him going to IU.

I'm glad you mentioned Illinois. There are a healthy number of their alumni down here in Mound City, and they had some hard years under Groce. (Our sports radio guys do find some time to grouse about Illinois after they finish with Mizzou and SLU). This is another program that has a pretty impressive, all-time top 20ish history, and basketball-school fans who don't take kindly to missing the Big Dance. The B1G isn't getting easier.
    Total sidebar, but seeing your post made me wonder... is Illinois one of the top 20 all-time programs?

5 Final Fours - tied with 7 schools for 15th most
    30 NCAA tournaments - tied with 3 schools for 20th
    1813 total wins - 16th most all-time

So, the answer is yes, Illinois is right there as one of the 20 best programs in college basketball history.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    All that said, Stevens is not leaving the NBA at this point - even if he gets fired by the Celtics, the NBA loves to re-hire guys...
    I know there is a perception that the Celtics have underperformed this year, but they are currently 4th in the East and it ain't like it is impossible to imagine them turning it around in the back half of the season and/or the playoffs. This is like the first year in his career that Stevens has been anything but outstanding as a head coach. He would need to underperform at least 2 or 3 more years in a row for him to be on the hot seat... which seems pretty darn unlikely.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I know there is a perception that the Celtics have underperformed this year, but they are currently 4th in the East and it ain't like it is impossible to imagine them turning it around in the back half of the season and/or the playoffs. This is like the first year in his career that Stevens has been anything but outstanding as a head coach. He would need to underperform at least 2 or 3 more years in a row for him to be on the hot seat... which seems pretty darn unlikely.
    I don't think he's going anywhere for a while either, but sometimes NBA front offices get impatient. Thibs (.647 win % with the Bulls in 5 seasons) and Doc (.631 winning % with the Clips in 7 seasons) were fired with arguably better records to Stevens (.562 winning % in 8 seasons) in fewer seasons. Now those orgs aren't the Celtics, and you could argue that both of those firing were huge mistakes, and the current Celts future trajectory looks better, but if they don't make the NBA finals in the next 2 seasons I could see his seat getting very warm.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I have a sneaky suspicion that, following this year, Warde Manuel is going to go to Juwan and say, "Name your price." That might help quiet those rumors for at least a little bit, but I agree they're definitely going to dog Howard if he continues at this pace and given his NBA connections. But considering his son is currently a freshman at Michigan, with another likely on the way in the 2022 class (and this one is a Top 100 recruit), I'd think he'll be wearing Maize and Blue for at least a few more years
    I don't know Juwan Howard. I agree with you that they will likely try to lock him in long term. Though to be clear, I think that will likely have more to do with investing in the program than investing in Juwan Howard. I just checked and he made $150 million in the NBA. So from a quality of life perspective, making $5 million vs. $4 million per year really doesn't matter. Sure, he didn't get to where he did without being competitive so he wants to be paid what he is worth. But I'm guessing a lot of his concern is about having the resources around him to help him succeed - money to pay top assistants, keeping up on facilities, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I don't know Juwan Howard. I agree with you that they will likely try to lock him in long term. Though to be clear, I think that will likely have more to do with investing in the program than investing in Juwan Howard. I just checked and he made $150 million in the NBA. So from a quality of life perspective, making $5 million vs. $4 million per year really doesn't matter. Sure, he didn't get to where he did without being competitive so he wants to be paid what he is worth. But I'm guessing a lot of his concern is about having the resources around him to help him succeed - money to pay top assistants, keeping up on facilities, etc.
    You never want to count another person's money, but I can tell you this. Juwan made a whole lot in the NBA, but in the latter part of his playing career with the Heat, when he had already made tons and tons of it, he bought a huge property right on Old Cutler Road in Coconut Grove and started building an estate on it. Construction started, but ground to a halt and stopped mid way and the half-built house languished there for years, becoming quite an eyesore actually. The talk was that Howard didn't have the money to finish it. He eventually sold it. So you never know what these guys do with their money -- plenty of them manage to p*ss a lot of it away. He doesn't seem like that kind of guy, but you never know. In any event, I hope, and think, he's got to be on more solid financial footing now.