Thread: Watchmen?

Watchmen?

Anyone else finish the season?

3 to go

Worth it if you never read the graphic novels, and found the movie a combination of confusing and meh?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Worth it if you never read the graphic novels, and found the movie a combination of confusing and meh?
    As someone in that demographic, absolutely.

I enjoyed it. Hard to follow the fictional watchmen universe and the plot winds a bit, but I though it was really well done overall. Regina King is spectacular, and the second to last episode where they show how Dr Manhattan experiences time in a non-linear way was incredibly well put together. If you haven’t read the graphic novel you will be totally lost so I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone coming in new. Can’t remember the movie so not sure if that is sufficient lead in to make this worthwhile. Overall I would recommend for people familiar with the story coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I enjoyed it. Hard to follow the fictional watchmen universe and the plot winds a bit, but I though it was really well done overall. Regina King is spectacular, and the second to last episode where they show how Dr Manhattan experiences time in a non-linear way was incredibly well put together. If you haven’t read the graphic novel you will be totally lost so I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone coming in new. Can’t remember the movie so not sure if that is sufficient lead in to make this worthwhile. Overall I would recommend for people familiar with the story coming in.
    I came into it cold (glanced at the graphic novels 25 years ago) and I don't think I was any the worse for it. It's an inherently complicated and sometimes intentionally obfuscated scenario. The show chooses to reveal itself to you in small bites

Thought it started off a bit too slow (and weird) but the last couple of episodes moved forward quite rapidly (for the good). Definitely changed directions from the beginning of the season. I still like Jeremy Irons! I'm looking forward to where they're going. Note: I have have no background knowledge of the comics, just what I'm watching.
    Last edited by PSurprise; 12-31-2019 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Apostrophe

I don't have any previous experience with Watchman comics etc. I didn't feel lost or have issues following the plot or characters. I did feel that Regina King was spectacular. By the last episode, however, I just didn't like it. Too many quirks, too far fetched. It just lost me as a viewer which was a bummer because after watching the first several episodes I really liked it.

I thought this was probably the best puzzle box season of TV ever. There were flaws, but as a series that builds questions then works to answer them (at least most of them), with very few plot holes/flaws that the existing material didn't already have, I thought the execution was brilliant. There isn't a wasted line of dialogue, and it's worth a second watch.

My wife had never heard of Watchmen, but enjoyed it immensely. And she doesn't usually do weird shows like this. I saw the movie once when it came out and read the Wiki of the comic, so I was by no means a huge fan. That said, there are a ton of easter eggs for people that are aware of the comic story. For instance, it's not important to know who Rorschach was to watch this show, but it adds another layer. This was the brilliance of the show in that I have anecdotally talked to folks that enjoyed it immensely without any prior experience with this universe. But if you are aware of it, there is a whole other layer to it.

Lindelof doesn't currently have an idea for another season, and I think if they do this again, it is more like Fargo or True Detective than a continuing series, probably without Lindelof heavily involved.

If you like the Leftovers, this is for you. And I should mention that Lindelof seems to have mastered remixing/extending on source material in a way few have (*cough* Handmaid's Tale *cough*). The best two Leftover seasons came when he wasn't constrained to the book, for instance. Kathleen Kennedy, are you listening?