Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018

World Cup 2018

This can be a general discussion thread, but I want to start with a specific question: who should I adopt for the World Cup? No USA, and my hereditary background (Italy, Ireland) also didn't qualify, so I'm basically a free agent looking for a good team to hook my rooting interest to. I'm intrigued by Belgium, but that sort of feels like NFL people who get intrigued by Tampa Bay every offseason - they're a roster darling that hasn't quite put it together. I'd like to root against Russia, but I find the composition of that group as hard to root for as it was stacked to give Russia a pass to the knockout stage. My wife has some Swedish in her background, so I could get behind them, although with Germany and Mexico in their group I feel like that might be a short-lived rooting experience.

So I put the question to the board - as a free agent, who doesn't simply want to adopt a front-runner but who wants to root for someone with a reasonable possibility of making, say, the semifinals, who should I pick?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    This can be a general discussion thread, but I want to start with a specific question: who should I adopt for the World Cup? No USA, and my hereditary background (Italy, Ireland) also didn't qualify, so I'm basically a free agent looking for a good team to hook my rooting interest to. I'm intrigued by Belgium, but that sort of feels like NFL people who get intrigued by Tampa Bay every offseason - they're a roster darling that hasn't quite put it together. I'd like to root against Russia, but I find the composition of that group as hard to root for as it was stacked to give Russia a pass to the knockout stage. My wife has some Swedish in her background, so I could get behind them, although with Germany and Mexico in their group I feel like that might be a short-lived rooting experience.

So I put the question to the board - as a free agent, who doesn't simply want to adopt a front-runner but who wants to root for someone with a reasonable possibility of making, say, the semifinals, who should I pick?
    Heja Sverige!

There's one player on the team named Gus(tav) who plays in the MLS for the Sounders. You'll have the opportunity to root against Mexico. There are a lot of good players, and no egotistic superstars. And I think they have a decent shot of advancing over Mexico.

Smile Football's Coming Home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqimlFcJsM

My ancestry is mostly from the British Isles so I will be pulling for England mainly because Scotland isn't representing. Next will be der mannschaft. My grandfather was German and I have always like the way they play football especially since Klinnsman changed their style and Loew improved upon it.

Great question as I am not sure who to cheer for as well. Germany is typically fun to watch and Müller just keeps scoring goals. I have Argentinian and Colombian friends that I might watch some games with, so I could cheer for them. What will Messi do this year? Brazil is usually fun to cheer for. I enjoyed watching Spain during prime tiki-taka time. It’s tough not having the Netherlands as they tend to be good and exciting, Italy at least good. What will Ronaldo do this World Cup? Belgium and France could both be exciting. I assume Chile still has good strikers. Will Egypt or another African country be entertaining, or Japan or another Asian country? I have questions, but no answers.
    I am also trying to figure out if I will get to see many games live. I guess I will have to have the games on at work, like I do with Duke NCAAT games.

I'd pick the team with the most attractive fans.

That's why I root for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I'd pick the team with the most attractive fans.

That's why I root for Duke.
    When I lived in Seattle, I enjoyed finding Brazil watch parties during the World Cup.

Not that there's any relevance to your post. Just thought I would mention.

Great team.

Iceland.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Iceland.
    I'll likely be pulling for Iceland and Germany. Portugal not winning a game would be an additional bonus.

Iceland.
    I could get behind Iceland - I enjoyed their run at the Euros.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Iceland.
    Iceland is a very popular pick for those looking for a team to root for given their underdog status. And they are also a top competitor in the most attractive fans category.

I would put in another vote for England. Though prepare to have your heart broken. The psychology of English soccer fans is fascinating. I spent some time living there so have been a fan - the thrill of being in a pub watching England win an international match is hard to top. I am not as familiar with this year's team.

I have never liked the Italian team so I am glad they are not in it. I have close friends who are German who are very optimistic. I will strategically be using time away from the office to watch the games - I expect productivity to be low during key matches.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Morocco could be interesting. Unlike some previous African entrants, they are not loaded with top flight talent in the various European leagues but they definitely are more than the sum of their parts and group B will be fascinating to see how it plays out. Group D could be fun because while they have Messi and bounds of other talent, Croatia has probably been the best team and Nigeria and Iceland(smallest country ever to make it) could surprise and Argentina just made it out of CONMEBOL. Then you have group A, which Uruguay is probably the only good team in. Will home field be enough to propel Russia? Will Salah be able to make it back in time and get inform after a breakout year with the Liverpudlians. Lots of fun storylines anyway.

I have several Mexican friends and clients and live in SoCal, so am rooting for our rival: El Tri.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Morocco could be interesting. Unlike some previous African entrants, they are not loaded with top flight talent in the various European leagues but they definitely are more than the sum of their parts and group B will be fascinating to see how it plays out. Group D could be fun because while they have Messi and bounds of other talent, Croatia has probably been the best team and Nigeria and Iceland(smallest country ever to make it) could surprise and Argentina just made it out of CONMEBOL. Then you have group A, which Uruguay is probably the only good team in. Will home field be enough to propel Russia? Will Salah be able to make it back in time and get inform after a breakout year with the Liverpudlians. Lots of fun storylines anyway.
    Maybe, but I couldn't possibly root for them if they get the WC 2026 bid. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Iceland is a very popular pick for those looking for a team to root for given their underdog status. And they are also a top competitor in the most attractive fans category.

I would put in another vote for England. Though prepare to have your heart broken. The psychology of English soccer fans is fascinating. I spent some time living there so have been a fan - the thrill of being in a pub watching England win an international match is hard to top. I am not as familiar with this year's team.

I have never liked the Italian team so I am glad they are not in it. I have close friends who are German who are very optimistic. I will strategically be using time away from the office to watch the games - I expect productivity to be low during key matches.
    Dele Alli and Hary Kane make this England team a hard pass for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I have several Mexican friends and clients and live in SoCal, so am rooting for our rival: El Tri.
    I usually like to see the CONCACAF teams do well. I also generally like to see England do well, but I miss Rooney.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    To each his/her own, but I absolutely cannot root for Mexico in soccer. That would be like rooting for UNC in basketball to me. Not the same level of hatred, but in the same ballpark
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    When I lived in Seattle, I enjoyed finding Brazil watch parties during the World Cup.

Not that there's any relevance to your post. Just thought I would mention.

Great team.
    I see you MTD.Devil..
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    To each his/her own, but I absolutely cannot root for Mexico in soccer. That would be like rooting for UNC in basketball to me. Not the same level of hatred, but in the same ballpark
    Amen!

I willl reluctantly pull for Costa Rica (NC State) or Panama (Wake Forest)

I'll be rooting for Iceland when they are on and whichever team appears to be playing aggressively and doing the least amount of diving and whining about offsides.

I'm going to adopt a team, too, but I want one with a realistic chance to win it all. I mean, I like the thought of rooting for Iceland, but they're generally picked to finish last in their group.

Here are the odds to win the World Cup: https://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup/winner

I think the lowest I can go is Argentina at 9 to 1. Let's win one for Messi!