Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

2023-2024 Roster

Not to look ahead but looking at most mock drafts they have Lively, Proctor and Mitchell projected to stay another year and be in the 2024 draft. The nice thing is with NIL all 3 of these guys will make more money at Duke then going to the G league for a year. I think Proctor has the most upside of the 3 to be a future NBA guy. Let's say all 3 do return what's our starting 5 looking like next year? Here is what I would have
    C. Lively, Young, Reeves
    F. Mitchell, TJ POWER
    SF. Mgbako/Stewart both these guys could start, Mitchell could come off bench.
    SG. Foster/Blakes/Schutt
    PG. Proctor/Mccain

Quote Originally Posted by JGDUKE2008 View Post
    Not to look ahead but looking at most mock drafts they have Lively, Proctor and Mitchell projected to stay another year and be in the 2024 draft. The nice thing is with NIL all 3 of these guys will make more money at Duke then going to the G league for a year. I think Proctor has the most upside of the 3 to be a future NBA guy. Let's say all 3 do return what's our starting 5 looking like next year? Here is what I would have
    C. Lively, Young, Reeves
    F. Mitchell, TJ POWER
    SG. Foster/Blakes/Schutt
    PG. Proctor/Mccain
    What? I thought it was extremely unlikely that ANY of those three were coming back, much less all three. My guess is Mitchell is the most likely returnee?

Am I mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    What? I thought it was extremely unlikely that ANY of those three were coming back, much less all three. My guess is Mitchell is the most likely returnee?

Am I mistaken?
    Yeh, I'm with you. I think Mitchell is the freshmen that might return for his sophomore year. Plus this discussion has been other threads.

GoDuke!

C. Lively, Young, Reeves
    F. Mitchell, TJ POWER
    SG. Foster/Blakes/Schutt
    PG. Proctor/Mccain
    Lively is going pro. No question about it. And he will be a 1st round pick, perhaps back end of the lottery.

It's possible that proctor or mitchell return, but far from a given.

I would set the expectation at two freshmen returning (including Schutt and Reeves among the possible exits), and be pleasantly surprised if any others do so.

I’d give better odds on Coach K returning than all three of those guys. Mitchell does seem like the most likely though.

Lively II is close to 100% gone.
    Whitehead is close to 100% gone.
    Flip is a bit less than 100% but most likely gone.
    Proctor and Mitchell are less than that but probably gone, although out of the freshmen mentioned, they’re the two I’d expect back however small of a chance that is.
    Reeves and Schutt could return or could enter the transfer portal.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Proctor leaves.

C. Lively, Young, Reeves
    F. Mitchell, TJ POWER
    SG. Foster/Blakes/Schutt
    PG. Proctor/Mccain
    Did you catch the game Saturday night? Lively is outta here

Yeah...

In my mind, at least 5 of Whitehead, Flip, Lively, Proctor, Mitchell, and Roach are gone. Whitehead and Lively are a given. 95.2% chance Flip is gone. Between Proctor, Mitchell, and Roach, no idea who stays, if any.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Not to look ahead but
    But totally looking ahead.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Tyrese Proctor

What are your thoughts on Proctor specifically? Personally, I think he's gone. He has great size and length for an NBA point guard and has so many nuances to his game that make him look like a pro. He's also shot 40% from 3 in his last five games. I thought he played so tough and his toughness was crucial Saturday night. He even came down and snagged a rebound away from Bacot in the second half. I felt he was the one coming away with every loose ball as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    What are your thoughts on Proctor specifically? Personally, I think he's gone. He has great size and length for an NBA point guard and has so many nuances to his game that make him look like a pro. He's also shot 40% from 3 in his last five games. I thought he played so tough and his toughness was crucial Saturday night. He even came down and snagged a rebound away from Bacot in the second half. I felt he was the one coming away with every loose ball as well.
    I think for his size Tyrese is the toughest player on the team. He's a very good rebounder for a PG, he goes after loose balls fearlessly and he has become a good defender. I believe he will at least test the waters and most of the time when a Duke player does that, he's gone.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I think for his size Tyrese is the toughest player on the team. He's a very good rebounder for a PG, he goes after loose balls fearlessly and he has become a good defender. I believe he will at least test the waters and most of the time when a Duke player does that, he's gone.

GoDuke!
    Yea I thought he played great D on Caleb Love.

Not a first round pick. Depends on a) how badly Proctor wants to play in the NBA, b) how soon Proctor wants to play in the NBA, c) what NIL opportunities Proctor can get.

He is a poor shooter and that will absolutely hurt him. He has first round - maybe even lottery - potential written all over him. But that requires coming back another year.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Not a first round pick. Depends on a) how badly Proctor wants to play in the NBA, b) how soon Proctor wants to play in the NBA, c) what NIL opportunities Proctor can get.

He is a poor shooter and that will absolutely hurt him. He has first round - maybe even lottery - potential written all over him. But that requires coming back another year.
    I personally wouldn't label him a poor shooter, he has just shot poorly, and much of that was earlier on in the season. I'm not an expert on form but his form tells me he can be a good shooter whereas Mitchell's does not. He shoots well from the free throw line which many experts say translates to good 3 point shooting. He has shot 40% from three the last 5 games and I would expect his average to be 35-40 the rest of the way.

I personally wouldn't label him a poor shooter, he has just shot poorly, and much of that was earlier on in the season. I'm not an expert on form but his form tells me he can be a good shooter whereas Mitchell's does not. He shoots well from the free throw line which many experts say translates to good 3 point shooting. He has shot 40% from three the last 5 games and I would expect his average to be 35-40 the rest of the way.
    5 games is a small sample size.

Yes, Proctor is a great FT shooter. But that hasn't translated to good 3pt shooting.

His game against UNC is what I want to see: only 2 threes but 11 2pt FGs.

If Proctor decides to leave this year, the NBA is not going to label him a good 3pt shooter. They just aren't. Now, could he come back and shoot 35%+, or better yet, 40%+ from 3 and be labeled a good shooter? Absolutely. But that ain't happening this year.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    It feels pretty silly to be having this conversation now, right? Given how quickly things can change (for many posters DLive went from someone with no NBA hopes to a surefire 1st round pick overnight, haha) it seems premature, not to mention I'd like to enjoy this team and this season while we still can. That said I can also choose to ignore threads that others want to participate in... so I guess I'm going to do that
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    5 games is a small sample size.

Yes, Proctor is a great FT shooter. But that hasn't translated to good 3pt shooting.

His game against UNC is what I want to see: only 2 threes but 11 2pt FGs.

If Proctor decides to leave this year, the NBA is not going to label him a good 3pt shooter. They just aren't. Now, could he come back and shoot 35%+, or better yet, 40%+ from 3 and be labeled a good shooter? Absolutely. But that ain't happening this year.
    I think he has enough to work with to become a good shooter and NBA teams will see that. Also, if he shoots 35+% the rest of the way can we label him a good shooter?

I think he has enough to work with to become a good shooter and NBA teams will see that. Also, if he shoots 35+% the rest of the way can we label him a good shooter?
    Count me in the camp that labels Proctor as a good 3pt shooter. Great form. Excellent FT shooter. NBA teams will have zero worry about his shot.

C. Lively, Young, Reeves
    F. Mitchell, TJ POWER
    SG. Foster/Blakes/Schutt
    PG. Proctor/Mccain
    Lively to stick around some 36 hours after he put on one of the most dominant defensive displays by a Duke big man EVER is certainly a hot take

It only barely overshadows the fact that you labelled Sean Stewart and Mac as a SFs while Power and Mitchell are PFs. Yeah, I don't think so. Stewart is a PF/C. You won't see him on the wing for Duke hardly at all. The other three can play either F position, but if I had to categorize them, I would probably list Mac at PF and Mitchell/Power as SFs (especially considering that is where Mitchell has played 90% of his minutes this season).

Anyway, the return or NBA/portal question is a silly exercise that has been done in dozens of other threads. Ain't nothing new being said here. I'm fairly sure very few of these guys have made up their mind. I think us trying to make the decision for them is even more presumptive.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?