Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    My favorite part of the GD’s “Not Fade Away” is it became a lovefest between the band and audience. It was an excellent example of how we were also “Playing in the Band”.
    No doubt about that. My comment was more about the rhythm section and dynamics, from the perspective of an ex-drummer (albeit one who hasn't picked up a stick in years).

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    No doubt about that. My comment was more about the rhythm section and dynamics, from the perspective of an ex-drummer (albeit one who hasn't picked up a stick in years).
    Gotcha; it was definitely not the way Hal Blaine would have played it. Hal would have been spot on, like always. Mickey was slightly early and Billy was slightly late.

I don’t really care about the HOF. Most of my favorite musicians won’t even be considered. I’m a huge Willie Nelson fan but, except for a movie song that was a pop hit and horrible duet with Julio Inglesias, he’s not rocker and never tried to be one. His legacy is set with or without the rock HOF. I like Sheryl Crow better than anyone else on the list but that’s just my taste. I’m came of age in the 80s and like Cyndy Lauper’s music but, to me, she was part of a fad we called “new wave” that celebrated goofy looking bands that played electronic crap. Maybe she helped define the 80s but Prince and Tom Petty transcended the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I don’t really care about the HOF. Most of my favorite musicians won’t even be considered. I’m a huge Willie Nelson fan but, except for a movie song that was a pop hit and horrible duet with Julio Inglesias, he’s not rocker and never tried to be one. His legacy is set with or without the rock HOF. I like Sheryl Crow better than anyone else on the list but that’s just my taste. I’m came of age in the 80s and like Cyndy Lauper’s music but, to me, she was part of a fad we called “new wave” that celebrated goofy looking bands that played electronic crap. Maybe she helped define the 80s but Prince and Tom Petty transcended the 80s.
    I’m not sure how the Hall of Fame is set up but there ought to be categories for ‘ greatest Music’ and what, ‘significant contribution’.

There are great acts that captured a moment in time that should be remembered as great without needing to be ‘all-time’ great.

I always thought of Willie Nelson as a country and western singer.

Who are your favorite musicians? They have a pretty big tent.

If you really care about it, you can vote every day through April 28 for 5 nominees. George Michael and Cyndi Lauper with the big early lead. Zevon in the 6 spot.

https://vote.rockhall.com/en/
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Who are your favorite musicians? They have a pretty big tent.
    Most of the music I listen to and see live these days falls under Americana which is also a pretty big tent but one of the defining characteristics is that it’s not especially commercial. I don’t mind that since I can see most of the shows I like in small venues at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Zevon is LONG overdue.
    My family agrees; we've been sending the voting link to every Zevon fan we know over the last few days.

As a melancholic aside, Trader Vic's London closed on December 31.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    My family agrees; we've been sending the voting link to every Zevon fan we know over the last few days.

As a melancholic aside, Trader Vic's London closed on December 31.
    And Lee Ho Fook closed in 2008. It actually had a a Michelin star at some point.

Most of the music I listen to and see live these days falls under Americana which is also a pretty big tent but one of the defining characteristics is that it’s not especially commercial. I don’t mind that since I can see most of the shows I like in small venues at a reasonable price.
    Amen to that! The smaller venues can be magical.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I know some aren't Sheryl Crow fans.. but when I hear her, Clapton,,, and yes, David Sanborn on Little Wing .. She fits.
    Maybe it's my age.

To see Clapton and Crows expression after Sanborn rips it, is classic...

https://youtu.be/jcbRSXhOhuA

And Lee Ho Fook closed in 2008. It actually had a a Michelin star at some point.
    For some reason I saved this long ago

2023-02-06_222715.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    For some reason I saved this long ago

2023-02-06_222715.jpg
    Jealous.

I have walked through (Chinatown) Soho in the rain, but sadly was about eight years too late. I did have my son take a picture of me walking with a Chinese menu in my hand, though. Best I could do.

Jealous.

I have walked through (Chinatown) Soho in the rain, but sadly was about eight years too late. I did have my son take a picture of me walking with a Chinese menu in my hand, though. Best I could do.
    I have a friend who was in London late in December, a big fan herself, and she snagged a menu from Trader Vic's. Incidentally they had a guest book with lots of nice "don't close" and "Warren 4 life" sorts of messages.

I have a picture ordering a piña colada from the Trader Vic's in Atlanta from our Chick-fil-A Bowl game. And the answer to your next question is yes.

The first one I technically went to was in (approximately) Mountain View, CA, when I was taking a day to just drive casually around the bay. Literally saw it out of the corner of my eye and spent 45 minutes turning around to confirm it and walk inside. Tried to eat there the day before leaving California - waited because my dad was going to join me before we embarked on a cross-country drive to Durham, as he had introduced me to Zevon - and found it had closed down the day before.

Anyone have a Pioneer Chicken story?

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Anyone have a Pioneer Chicken story?
    Or the Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I know some aren't Sheryl Crow fans.. but when I hear her, Clapton,,, and yes, David Sanborn on Little Wing .. She fits.
    Maybe it's my age.

To see Clapton and Crows expression after Sanborn rips it, is classic...

https://youtu.be/jcbRSXhOhuA
    Thanks for that one - that’s tight man. Hadn’t seen it before. Sheryl’s a musician’s musician and the farthest thing from a diva. She’s always down to collaborate or share the stage and so joyful about it.

Sheryl’s a musician’s musician and the farthest thing from a diva. She’s always down to collaborate or share the stage and so joyful about it.
    Jason Isbell vouches for her, that’s all I need to know tbh.

Jason Isbell vouches for her, that’s all I need to know tbh.
    Given the Sheryl has been in the biz about 15 years longer than Jason, shouldn't the vouching be happening in the other direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Given the Sheryl has been in the biz about 15 years longer than Jason, shouldn't the vouching be happening in the other direction?
    Not in my world. But I respect that perspective too.