Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Uggh, this feels gross to me. I mean, I get the idea: either James Wiseman (a better frontcourt pairing with Markkanen) or LaMelo Ball (a PG and playmaker) are on the table. But yuck to the idea of Ball (for obvious reasons), and trading Carter hurts from my fandom perspective.

It would obviously be a great situation for Carter though, going to a contender and being such a good pairing with guys like Curry/Thompson/Green.
    I think it’s a great trade for Golden State.

Uh oh:

Golden State Warriors guard Klay Thompson will undergo testing within the next few days on a leg injury suffered in a workout in Southern California on Wednesday, sources tell ESPN.

The severity of the injury is unclear. Thompson was unable to put any weight on his right leg when exiting the gym.

With the Warriors slated to make a selection with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft on Wednesday night, Thompson's injury could cause GM Bob Myers to change direction and possibly take a different player than he was planning to entering the day.
    Last edited by Steven43; 11-18-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Uggh, this feels gross to me. I mean, I get the idea: either James Wiseman (a better frontcourt pairing with Markkanen) or LaMelo Ball (a PG and playmaker) are on the table. But yuck to the idea of Ball (for obvious reasons), and trading Carter hurts from my fandom perspective.

It would obviously be a great situation for Carter though, going to a contender and being such a good pairing with guys like Curry/Thompson/Green.
    Bulls fan here. Started going to games in the late 196o's at the old Chicago Stadium. Parenthetically, what a great old, dirty, outdate arena. For about 5 years we could get seats in the upper deck for $1.Basketball heaven!

I love all the Duke guys in the NBA but don't think Wendell is a difference maker. He and his family have groused about his role with the Bulls just like they complained about his role with Duke. He seems to be a bright guy and a very competent player but I'm not against the Bulls moving him to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Bulls fan here. Started going to games in the late 196o's at the old Chicago Stadium. Parenthetically, what a great old, dirty, outdate arena. For about 5 years we could get seats in the upper deck for $1.Basketball heaven!

I love all the Duke guys in the NBA but don't think Wendell is a difference maker. He and his family have groused about his role with the Bulls just like they complained about his role with Duke. He seems to be a bright guy and a very competent player but I'm not against the Bulls moving him to upgrade.
    Really? What do they think his role should be in the NBA? Lebron?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Really? What do they think his role should be in the NBA? Lebron?
    I don't specifically remember and probably can't find the article but I think the family thought he was playing out of his best position, just like his mom later said about his Duke year.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I don't specifically remember and probably can't find the article but I think the family thought he was playing out of his best position, just like his mom later said about his Duke year.
    Also a Bulls fan here. I suspect a lot of their complaints in Chicago have been due to Boylan, who is a buffoon and tethered Carter to the paint. Thankfully we are tI’d of every aspect of the Paxspn/Forman regime, including Boylan. Hopefully Donovan better utilizes both Carter and Markkanen in a more modern way.

Luke Kennard was traded to the Clippers, which might be the best thing that happened to a Duke player during this draft...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Uh oh:

Golden State Warriors guard Klay Thompson will undergo testing within the next few days on a leg injury suffered in a workout in Southern California on Wednesday, sources tell ESPN.

The severity of the injury is unclear. Thompson was unable to put any weight on his right leg when exiting the gym.

With the Warriors slated to make a selection with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft on Wednesday night, Thompson's injury could cause GM Bob Myers to change direction and possibly take a different player than he was planning to entering the day.
    ouch, suspected Achilles injury.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    That's a bummer. Klay and Steph are fun to watch. If that's true, we may have seen the end of the Splash Brothers as we knew them That's a bad thing for the NBA. I thought if that team could get healthy again we might not have seen the final chapter of the GS era but it's really starting to feel like it is indeed over.

double ouch. if it wasn't for bad luck . . .

Woj (from "a source") confirms that it's an achilles tear. Dang.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-achilles-tear

Get well soon, Klay.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post

Get well soon, Klay.
    So, Klay is done for the year and we have seen Achilles injuries completely change the athletic ability of guys. I mean, Boogie, Kobe, Rudy Gay, and Chauncey Billups all had Achilles tears and were simply not same when they came back. Minutes waaay down and just not nearly as efficient at scoring and the such. That said, Dominque Wilkens had an Achilles tear years ago and came back to still be an all-star. We need to see how Durant recovers too.

Still, there is a pretty good chance that the injuries last year and this season brought a premature end to the Warriors dominance. Pity... they were a joy to watch.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post

Get well soon, Klay.
    The performance he was putting on in the Finals against the Raptors just before he tore his ACL was the best I had ever seen him play. This really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, Klay is done for the year and we have seen Achilles injuries completely change the athletic ability of guys. I mean, Boogie, Kobe, Rudy Gay, and Chauncey Billups all had Achilles tears and were simply not same when they came back. Minutes waaay down and just not nearly as efficient at scoring and the such. That said, Dominque Wilkens had an Achilles tear years ago and came back to still be an all-star. We need to see how Durant recovers too.

Still, there is a pretty good chance that the injuries last year and this season brought a premature end to the Warriors dominance. Pity... they were a joy to watch.
    Wasn’t there a pretty good PF with the Hawks who tore his Achilles? What was his name? Oh, I remember: Laettner or something like that.

Gene Banks' NBA career was ended with an Achilles injury. Laettner and Elton Brand suffered career-diminishing Achilles injuries. There is absolutely no guarantee that Thompson will come back from this with his skills undiminished.

The Lakers decided to cut Quinn, but he did have a partial guarantee for the season.

Austin appears to have declined his option while Jabari picked his up a few days ago.

Frank Jackson did not receive a qualifying offer from New Orleans, brining the number of Duke players on their roster down to 4.

https://twitter.com/_Andrew_Lopez/st...66629627469825

That is not a great outlook for Jackson. Guys that don't receive their first QO tend to struggle to stay in the league. Still, Jackson can shoot the ball and play either the 1 or the 2. His defense has not been good enough in the NBA to stick. It'll be interesting to see if he can get an offer from another team.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Frank Jackson did not receive a qualifying offer from New Orleans, brining the number of Duke players on their roster down to 4.

https://twitter.com/_Andrew_Lopez/st...66629627469825

That is not a great outlook for Jackson. Guys that don't receive their first QO tend to struggle to stay in the league. Still, Jackson can shoot the ball and play either the 1 or the 2. His defense has not been good enough in the NBA to stick. It'll be interesting to see if he can get an offer from another team.
    Whoa...I don't follow the league super closely, but Frank's all of 22 and I though he had a lot of evident potential (and athleticism which is no small thing in the NBA these days)

Whoa...I don't follow the league super closely, but Frank's all of 22 and I though he had a lot of evident potential (and athleticism which is no small thing in the NBA these days)
    I know we say this a lot, but he's one player I thought could have learned a ton coming back to Duke. The Jahs, Winslows, Tatums, and Ingrams of the world weren't going to improve their stock; Jackson could have gained a ton of confidence being the "man" at Duke...now, he has a tough upward climb.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I know we say this a lot, but he's one player I thought could have learned a ton coming back to Duke. The Jahs, Winslows, Tatums, and Ingrams of the world weren't going to improve their stock; Jackson could have gained a ton of confidence being the "man" at Duke...now, he has a tough upward climb.
    I maintain that One and Done Fever is contagious...harking back to the days when Will Avery was clearly not ready, but the Amigos were, so off he went.

p.s. Gordon Hayward opts out of his final year contract ($34 million)? Hm, that's interesting, I guess he thinks he can come up something more attractive.