Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    And the Pack, after a good first half, has run off the road and flipped their vehicle into a deep, deep ditch in their own back year .

However, we had our chance vs the cheats...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    True. IIRC, in the eighteen years before Cut got here we only exceeded four wins once. I like the comfort of knowing we’re staying home, instead of the uncertainty of competition that has bedeviled us the last decade or so.
    You're only happy cuz you get to save airfare and hotel $$ and avoid the possibility of another Hep G infections...

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Just look about 230 miles south give or take.dukes requirements are stiffer than u of south carolina.
    That is a dumpster fire.
    No reason they should not be a top 20 team every year.what duke does in football looks a heck of a lot better than what they do.duke never wastes talent that i can see. Think about the situation they have had last few years.they have used a qb whos father is on the staff .he was also on Auburn's staff his other son was qb.left more talented products on the bench.while floundering.
    I do not see cut doing that ever.Duke really has a soecial coach.Duke is 10 better players from being a dang good top 20 team.maybe top 10 .i say 10 due to injuries ect.some areas other teams are next man up.i dont see that depth usually on dukes roster.only at spots . id be proud if one of my kids was on the roster.besides the record .you cant really say anything bad about the program.thats not a bad place to be.

You make some valid points, but you say there's no reason SC should not be a Top 20 team every year: I have a few:
    Georgia
    Alabama
    Texas A and M
    Tennessee
    ...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    for me the cuse and wake games. the game situation mightn't've been winnable, but with the right game plan and in-game management, i have no doubt we had the ability to win those games. hopefully we'll see more of today next season, and less of...those other games.
    I thought of those, too, but we looked dreadful vs SU and not much better vs WFU, save for the 14 points special teams scored. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You're only happy cuz you get to save airfare and hotel $$ and avoid the possibility of another Hep G infections...

But I got to try local craft beers in Atlanta, Detroit, El Paso, Charlotte/Asheville and NYC. Which helped.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    You make some valid points, but you say there's no reason SC should not be a Top 20 team every year: I have a few:
    Georgia
    Alabama
    Texas A and M
    Tennessee
    ...etc.
    The Gamecocks’ schedule was brutal this year, as was A&M’s. No place to hide in the SEC.

I thought of those, too, but we looked dreadful vs SU and not much better vs WFU, save for the 14 points special teams scored. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.
    right...which bugs me the most...since games like tonight prove that we're simply not as bad as we looked. great win today, but still a frustrating season overall.
    April 1

We did get to 5-7 (3-5) but not the ones I thought. We avoided a last place Coastal finish. I wish we had just one of Pitt, UNC, Syracuse, or Wake back.

I will start my own Austin Parker appreciation thread at home.

CONGRATULATIONS to the Blue Devils. Great effort on possibly the last game of the season... if so, great way to go out.

And especially a BIG shout out to the Duke fans at WW. I watched on TV (to far to consider going). The weather looked absolutely miserable for fans... but you guys stuck it out for your Blue Devils.

THANKS to ALL!!!! 😎

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    I get it that there’s bad weather, but what an absolutely abhorrent playing field. Unacceptable for a power-5 conference field; we’re at 4 (?) non contact injuries so far and counting.

For what it’s worth 23 on Miami, who’s been able to play a little bit, also needed to be helped off the field after pregame stretching.
    Some differ with you and believe that Duke has a very good turf field -- some have said "the best," but I don't know about that. It was replaced at great expense when the stadium was renovated 2-3 years ago.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Just got home, time to dry and get warm-it was worth it, great 4th quarter. Nice to see the seniors go out with a win. They have played hard all year
    but circumstances/ game plans got in the way. Ready for next year

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    This was the guy who was going to return UM to its glory days, just like Randy Shannon, Al Golden, and Mark Richt before him.

Instead, they lost to 3-9 Georgia Tech, FIU, and fortunately managed to snap Duke's five-game losing streak.

Am I the only one who remembers that Diaz is largely responsible for Mack Brown's premature (yet temporary) retirement at Texas? No wonder their 2020 recruits are jumping ship.
    All I hear about Manny Diaz is that his Mom phoned him at halftime and said, "Don't be an idiot, Manny! Put on your hat!" He complied.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Georgia
    Alabama
    Texas A and M
    Tennessee
    ...etc.
    Theoretically speaking.they have the money and the backing to buy the means necessary to have a top program or atleast a upper sec program.

I had my doubts going to the game and plans for an early exit if the weather and/or the scoreboard became highly unfavorable but it was highly rewarding staying until 0:00 for this one. We "snuck" into some empty seats next to a tailgate friend under cover and stayed warm, dry and happy.

I had my doubts going to the game and plans for an early exit if the weather and/or the scoreboard became highly unfavorable but it was highly rewarding staying until 0:00 for this one. We "snuck" into some empty seats next to a tailgate friend under cover and stayed warm, dry and happy.
    how did you manage to find some empty seats??
    April 1

Congrats to the team, especially the senior class. Offense showed they were, after all, capable of moving the ball if not hamstrung by bad coaching decisions, and the defense was just simply fierce! The pass rush lead by Rumph and company was a deciding factor. Just cannot shake the fact we could have easily won 8 games, at the least 7. Either way, great game last night boys.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    how did you manage to find some empty seats??
    It was a bit difficult with all those blue seats disguised as spectators.

Mom could be his biggest fan at this point

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    All I hear about Manny Diaz is that his Mom phoned him at halftime and said, "Don't be an idiot, Manny! Put on your hat!" He complied.
    He may be a dutiful son, but according to the Miami Herald's Barry Jackson, Diaz is already on the hot seat after only one season. Unfortunately for him, Miami fans (the city in general, not just UM) are as fickle as they come, and he won't get a pass just because dad was a pretty good mayor:

"Because this much is clear: This season was unacceptable, from the 10 sacks allowed in the opener, to the inexcusable loss to a dreadful Georgia Tech team, to the FIU and Duke losses, to the underachieving offense, to the inexcusable errors that largely went unpunished. . . . And Diaz, I suspect, has a year to fix it. The clock began ticking at 7:15 pm Saturday."

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/article2...#storylink=cpy

Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    He may be a dutiful son, but according to the Miami Herald's Barry Jackson, Diaz is already on the hot seat after only one season. Unfortunately for him, Miami fans (the city in general, not just UM) are as fickle as they come, and he won't get a pass just because dad was a pretty good mayor:

"Because this much is clear: This season was unacceptable, from the 10 sacks allowed in the opener, to the inexcusable loss to a dreadful Georgia Tech team, to the FIU and Duke losses, to the underachieving offense, to the inexcusable errors that largely went unpunished. . . . And Diaz, I suspect, has a year to fix it. The clock began ticking at 7:15 pm Saturday."

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/article2...#storylink=cpy
    I was only partially listening to the game but I heard the announcers say something about Diaz needing to clean up a lot of behind the scenes issues. It wasn’t clear whether he was saying they were holdovers from the prior staff or whether he was blaming Diaz (or both).

This game left a good taste in my mouth. As the eternal Duke optimist I can’t wait until next fall. While lots of folks complained about recruiting I saw a lot of young exciting players on this team. I like our young receivers. The defense should be even better. The offensive line needs work. The play calling needs work, particularly throwing to the sticks on third down. Most importantly at Duke you always need a quarterback who can cover up your other weaknesses. It’s been true since the days of at least Leo Hart. Hopefully Gunnar has a great recovery or Luca can play like Auburn’s freshman quarterback. Go Devils! We need a Coastal championship next year!