Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Who will have the best nba career from the 2015 team?

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Who will have the best nba career from the 2015 team?
    So, we've got Jah, Tyus, Justise, Grayson, Quinn, Amile, MP3, and Semi to choose from?
    So far Jah has had the best single season out of that group, though he hasn't gotten much love since. Justise has had the best "improvement arc" so far, and just made the most money out of that group. Tyus is highly beloved by the MIN fan base, or at least they want him to play more than the coach is willing (and then they signed D-Rose to lessen T-Jones' role on the team? savage). Quinn is the only one on the list with a championship! MP3 has already far surpassed expectations by even playing in a single game, let alone play in 2 separate seasons and score a total of 54 pts. Semi had a surprisingly good year as a rookie, in that he contributed at all, which was beyond expectations when he left Duke. Only Amile and Grayson have yet to play in the NBA.
    My bet is on Winslow having the best NBA career of the bunch due to his athleticism, versatility and improvement shown so far. Out of that whole group, he's also the one that seems to have the closest to what could be called star power. In a different era, maybe Jah could have been a star, but today's game isn't for him. Yet if he could develop a respectable (33%+) 3pt shot, the story on him could change quite a bit. Tyus seems to be destined to be a back-up PG, maybe a starter as he gains experience. Ditto for Quinn. Amile and MP3 seem destined to be back-up bigs. Semi seems like a "poor man's" Winslow, 3&D all the way. Grayson could blow people away, a la his teammate D-Mitch, or he could drift in to that mosaic of guys with great talent but who just didn't have enough of "it" to make it in the show, a la Jimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    So, we've got Jah, Tyus, Justise, Grayson, Quinn, Amile, MP3, and Semi to choose from?
    So far Jah has had the best single season out of that group, though he hasn't gotten much love since. Justise has had the best "improvement arc" so far, and just made the most money out of that group. Tyus is highly beloved by the MIN fan base, or at least they want him to play more than the coach is willing (and then they signed D-Rose to lessen T-Jones' role on the team? savage). Quinn is the only one on the list with a championship! MP3 has already far surpassed expectations by even playing in a single game, let alone play in 2 separate seasons and score a total of 54 pts. Semi had a surprisingly good year as a rookie, in that he contributed at all, which was beyond expectations when he left Duke. Only Amile and Grayson have yet to play in the NBA.
    My bet is on Winslow having the best NBA career of the bunch due to his athleticism, versatility and improvement shown so far. Out of that whole group, he's also the one that seems to have the closest to what could be called star power. In a different era, maybe Jah could have been a star, but today's game isn't for him. Yet if he could develop a respectable (33%+) 3pt shot, the story on him could change quite a bit. Tyus seems to be destined to be a back-up PG, maybe a starter as he gains experience. Ditto for Quinn. Amile and MP3 seem destined to be back-up bigs. Semi seems like a "poor man's" Winslow, 3&D all the way. Grayson could blow people away, a la his teammate D-Mitch, or he could drift in to that mosaic of guys with great talent but who just didn't have enough of "it" to make it in the show, a la Jimmer.
    The answer also, to bluntly introduce dollar signs, is who gets a lucrative second contract? The Chief Justise is the only one sure to make the honor roll. School is still in session for everybody else.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Interesting question.

Grayson is the wildcard here. All of the rest have been beaten down to one extent or the other by the reality that there are a lot of pretty good basketball players floating around.

Grayson has not.

Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Interesting question.

Grayson is the wildcard here. All of the rest have been beaten down to one extent or the other by the reality that there are a lot of pretty good basketball players floating around.

Grayson has not.

Yet
    and I, for one, am pulling so very hard for Grayson. I want to see him succeed. And I also always like Coach Quin

The NBA season starts tonight.

Philly at Boston (Celtics favored by 4.5)

OKC at GSW (Warriors favored by 12.5)

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the first game with all the Dukies involved.

Incidentally, don't be surprised if the Celtics look average or even bad tonight. It's going to take some time to re-integrate Kyrie and Hayward back into the team and to re-establish roles for Jayson and Brown. I know some of us are now Boston Blue Devils aka Duke Celtics fans due to the (obviously) high Duke content of that franchise and the chance that this could be the next great NBA team after the Warriors. But it might not look so good on opening night. Especially against a Sixers team that has playoff revenge on its mind and is also competing to be the next dynasty after the Warriors (and also has pretty high Duke content itself). (It's quite possible I have oodles of monopoly money on Philly to cover the 2.5 in the first half.)

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Incidentally, don't be surprised if the Celtics look average or even bad tonight. It's going to take some time to re-integrate Kyrie and Hayward back into the team and to re-establish roles for Jayson and Brown. I know some of us are now Boston Blue Devils aka Duke Celtics fans due to the (obviously) high Duke content of that franchise and the chance that this could be the next great NBA team after the Warriors. But it might not look so good on opening night. Especially against a Sixers team that has playoff revenge on its mind and is also competing to be the next dynasty after the Warriors (and also has pretty high Duke content itself). (It's quite possible I have oodles of monopoly money on Philly to cover the 2.5 in the first half.)
    I’ll be surprised if the Celtics look bad, because they have Brad Stevens.

The Washington Post Ranks the Top 100

Post national NBA writer Tim Bontemps surveyed the NBA and came up with a list of the Top 100 players "according to their overall talent level." It features five from Duke:

Code:
    24. Kyrie
    35. Jayson Tatum
    72. JJ
    88. Brandon Ingram
    100. Wendell Carter
    Credits to all. Carter! Deemed best player of the summer season. Wow!!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Indeed it is. I am so proud to have Jayson Tatum in the NBA representing Duke.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    The NBA season starts tonight.

Philly at Boston (Celtics favored by 4.5)

OKC at GSW (Warriors favored by 12.5)

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the first game with all the Dukies involved.
    Is there anywhere I can find a consolidated listing, by team, of Dukies in the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Is there anywhere I can find a consolidated listing, by team, of Dukies in the NBA?
    Basketball Reference says these are the active Blue Devils in the NBA:

-Jason "Marshall is listed even though I think he is currently looking for a team. Also, this list does not include the 5 Duke rookies: Marvin, Wendell, Grayson, Gary, and Trevon" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Thanks, Jason.

I suppose I can take a few minutes to do the research and list which teams they play for. I can sort it then and post it back here. I just haven't spent any time to keep up or know what teams they are with off the top of my head.

I'm doing a NBA fantasy league this year for the first time. We had our draft over the weekend. 12 teams, 13 players per team is 156 total players.

This is not a league with a bunch of other Duke guys. It is just some friends from around the country. So, when I tell you about the draft, please know that there was no bias going on.

We drafted exactly one UNC guy, Harrison Barnes. We drafted 10 Dukies (Tatum, Kyrie, Hood, Ingram, Parker, JJ, Rivers, Justise, Marvin, and Wendell).

-Jason "just an interesting little factoid..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "Marshall is listed even though I think he is currently looking for a team. Also, this list does not include the 5 Duke rookies: Marvin, Wendell, Grayson, Gary, and Trevon" Evans
    Look at Luol. I missed where he ended up back with Tom Thibodeau in Minnesota?!?

One of three Dukies from the Aughts, along with JJ and Josh.

Well done Mr. Deng.

ETA: or is Josh done? I looked for where he played, and saw that he was waived by the Mavs.
    Last edited by cato; 10-16-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Look at Luol. I missed where he ended up back with Tom Thibodeau in Minnesota?!?

One of three Dukies from the Aughts, along with JJ and Josh.

Well done Mr. Deng.

ETA: or is Josh done? I looked for where he played, and saw that he was waived by the Mavs.
    I am pretty sure Singler is out.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Thanks, Jason.

I suppose I can take a few minutes to do the research and list which teams they play for. I can sort it then and post it back here. I just haven't spent any time to keep up or know what teams they are with off the top of my head.
    Article on the DBR front page will be helpful: https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...he-brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I am pretty sure Singler is out.
    Singler is playing in Europe.

I suppose he could came back.

Hopefully, Amile Jefferson will see some league time.

I'm not sure the status of Gerald Henderson. Still a free agent and when I talked to him this summer, he seemed pretty sure he was going to be signing with someone.

So, fingers crossed on that one.

Tatum off to a hot start.
    Kyrie not so much.
    JJ being steady per usual
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking