Page 63 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465731131635631063 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 67384
    On a CSX commercial, they said that one of their trains can tow 400 tons of freight 400 miles on one gallon of gas! Holy cow!

Now here's where I get mad and confused. why don't we just take the train engine, put wheels on it, and voila! we have a car that gets fantastic gas mileage! Or better yet, put wheels on the whole damn train and drive it around on the highway!

Seriously, why isn't somebody bolting that train engine to a suburban?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    On a CSX commercial, they said that one of their trains can tow 400 tons of freight 400 miles on one gallon of gas! Holy cow!

Now here's where I get mad and confused. why don't we just take the train engine, put wheels on it, and voila! we have a car that gets fantastic gas mileage! Or better yet, put wheels on the whole damn train and drive it around on the highway!

I'm guessing size and cost.

"What advantages does this motor car have over, say, a train -- which I could also afford?"

Favorite children's book?

Mine was Go, Dog. Go! Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Mine was Go, Dog. Go! Anyone else?
    The Caboose Who Got Loose

I also dearly love The Story About Ping and The Story of Ferdinand (totally unrelated to each other, yet equally brilliant).

Ayn Rand

Just curious, what dynasty is he/she defending?

Bostondevil, how are your knees? I did a 5 mile tempo run this morning, I'm training for a half marathon. For the first time ever, I've mapped out a training program. It's fun.

I was thinking about your knees and remembered my injuries. I kept getting bothered by nagging injuries, including Achilles tendinitis, broken fifth metatarsal, stress fracture of the shin bone. Finally I thought, maybe that old goat Greybeard is on to something, and I studied the mechanics of my running. Turns out, I was an over-strider. My stride was too long. I've shortened up my stride and after getting used to it, it feels much better.

(No offense intended, Grey. I'm an old goat myself.)

As to what Dynasty I am defending...

From the Fountainhead by Ayn Rand:
    Ellsworth Toohey: "Mr. Roark, we’re alone here. Why don’t you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us." -

Howard Roark: "But I don’t think of you."

Favortie kids book

I always enjoyed Curious George and Clifford the Big Red Dog.

Growing up in the military I spent much of my younger years overseas (there is a point here, I promise). I went to a school that had a collection of books - in English - from different countries. Each book was from a specific country and was a collection of children's stories from that country. Has anyone heard of what I am referring too? I would love to get some of those books for some of the wee ones in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I also dearly love The Story About Ping and The Story of Ferdinand (totally unrelated to each other, yet equally brilliant).
    About Ferdinand the Bull? Love that big love-a-bull!

I learned to read with the book "One Foot, Two Foot," (and all other Seuss intro books) but my favorites were Beatrix Potter stories and Frog & Toad.

Oh, and whenever we went to grandma's house, she had to read "Pokey Little Puppy" to us.

I think it's more that one engine can pull such a darned ginormous amount of weight, that the averages look really good. But yeah, it's an impressive statistic (when it has little context to it.)

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    About Ferdinand the Bull? Love that big love-a-bull!

I learned to read with the book "One Foot, Two Foot," (and all other Seuss intro books) but my favorites were Beatrix Potter stories and Frog & Toad.

Oh, and whenever we went to grandma's house, she had to read "Pokey Little Puppy" to us.
    That's indeed the Ferdinand I'm talking about.
    The Pokey Little Puppy is my mom's favorite...I often have people tell me that Walter looks like the Pokey Little Puppy (though he's not so little anymore).

Where the hell's EarlJam?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    My son only has two more chemotherapy sessions to go but I think I've hit the wall. I am absolutely wiped tonight and my temper is increasingly difficult to control. Not even knitting and watching Duke basketball is working much lately.

Question Marathon update?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    My son only has two more chemotherapy sessions to go but I think I've hit the wall. I am absolutely wiped tonight and my temper is increasingly difficult to control. Not even knitting and watching Duke basketball is working much lately.
    Are you over the knee issue?

Knees are getting better. I'm strengthening those quads and running with braces on for the time being.

So, before we discussed expressions that annoy us. What are some expressions you use that you suspect might annoy others?

I say things are fab. I will also, in my best Linc from Mod Squad mode, thank people for 'doing me a solid'.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    So, before we discussed expressions that annoy us. What are some expressions you use that you suspect might annoy others?

I say things are fab. I will also, in my best Linc from Mod Squad mode, thank people for 'doing me a solid'.
    Wilson once "dude"d me.

You gotta love it!

Nope, nobody does...

I've taken to saying, "It is what it is" far more than is reasonable. (Thanks, Project Runway, season 3...)

Speaking of "It is what it is," there's a great NPR story from this morning, about McNamee's testimony before congress, and his use of that phrase, and whether it means something different b/c he's from NYC.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=18974664

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I've taken to saying, "It is what it is" far more than is reasonable. (Thanks, Project Runway, season 3...)

Speaking of "It is what it is," there's a great NPR story from this morning, about McNamee's testimony before congress, and his use of that phrase, and whether it means something different b/c he's from NYC.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=18974664
    Just replace your current phrase with "Fair enough." It works in nearly every situation for a multitide of things. It also ends conversations when they need to be ended. The provides acknowledgement of someone's opinion without actually causing you to proclaim your level of agreement or disagreement.

Go ahead... try it.

Fair enough.

I like it because it is what it is.