Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Good thing I keep a deep freezer stocked. Time to bust out some deer or bear for a few meals.
    I know a lot of hunters that are sitting pretty right now and feeling pretty good about their future since hunting is inherently a social distancing activity.

I'm interested in what the hunting season numbers look like in my state. Lot of folks off work, maybe don't want to spend on a license but it's even more of a food-bearing activity than normal...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I know a lot of hunters that are sitting pretty right now and feeling pretty good about their future since hunting is inherently a social distancing activity.

I'm interested in what the hunting season numbers look like in my state. Lot of folks off work, maybe don't want to spend on a license but it's even more of a food-bearing activity than normal...
    There are some guys I work with that were joking(mostly) about some hunting seasons being ignored if things got too bad.

There are some guys I work with that were joking(mostly) about some hunting seasons being ignored if things got too bad.
    I'm assuming the game wardens are considered essential personnel but here in PA, there are 120 or so full wardens and another 350 conservation officers so I'm sure even in good times plenty of guys get away with it, particularly on private lands. I haven't checked but I'm assuming most of the state's game lands are open; not like the state's parks which are mostly closed, I believe.

I don't know about other states, but the major hunting seasons here are in the Fall, e.g. deer, moose, bear...about the only highly popular season in the Spring is wild turkey hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I don't know about other states, but the major hunting seasons here are in the Fall, e.g. deer, moose, bear...about the only highly popular season in the Spring is wild turkey hunting...
    Just spring turkey seasons here, too. I took Left Hook's comment to mean some guys might just go ahead and get out, seasons be damned.

They opened up trout season early and unexpectedly here in PA, too, to discourage some of the big stream side crowds that accompany certain streams on opening day.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Year round activity on the KY Bourbon Trail and many other US zip codes, too.

(Ok to move to Ymmm, Bourbon thread ...)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Nice!

are you able to find them in stores where you are, or do you have to get them shipped?
    There's a crazy local store called Jungle Jim's that frequently has Sakura Wagyu briskets in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Just spring turkey seasons here, too. I took Left Hook's comment to mean some guys might just go ahead and get out, seasons be damned.

They opened up trout season early and unexpectedly here in PA, too, to discourage some of the big stream side crowds that accompany certain streams on opening day.
    Yeah that's what I meant. If things get too bad, all seasons start now.

And to a comment up thread, you are correct. There are plenty of people near where I grew up that hunt 1,000's of acres of land that game wardens cant even get to. Those guys rarely if ever buy meat from a store. They hunt for the meat only, and they don't give a rat's behind about tags or a season. I once asked a guy who had taken a deer the week after the season ended, why he took it. He said, "If it's brown it's down. The government doesnt tell me what to eat or when I can eat it."

Quote Originally Posted by GDT View Post
    There's a crazy local store called Jungle Jim's that frequently has Sakura Wagyu briskets in stock.
    Wow, very jealous!

Trying something new. Ground Chuck burger bowls. 100% ground Chuck, stuffed with grilled onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Topped with Jack cheese and a few drops of Worcestershire, wrapped in pork belly bacon. 100% fat free. Not really smoked, but indirect for about an hour.

IMG_0711.jpg

Trying something new. Ground Chuck burger bowls. 100% ground Chuck, stuffed with grilled onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Topped with Jack cheese and a few drops of Worcestershire, wrapped in pork belly bacon. 100% fat free. Not really smoked, but indirect for about an hour.

IMG_0711.jpg
    Calling shenanigans on that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Calling shenanigans on that claim.

No cholesterol either. I call it the cardiologist. 😀

No cholesterol either. I call it the cardiologist. 😀
    Maybe The Cardiologist's Bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by GDT View Post
    Wow, very jealous!
    Jungle Jim's is awesome. I lived about 12 minutes from there off of Tylersville.

IMG_0711.jpg
    Oh, lawd. Yes please!

IMG_0711.jpg
    Hey, CB&B and TNTDevil-are you two knuckleheads, err, gentlemen (term loosely applied) reading this thread?

1205AC7B-D389-4017-915E-4D4EFC34904E.jpg

SonPK’s first brisket, a 15-pound wagyu. Been smoking since about 11 pm last night,

About to decide between burnt ends or just carving up that end as fat slices.

1205AC7B-D389-4017-915E-4D4EFC34904E.jpg

SonPK’s first brisket, a 15-pound wagyu. Been smoking since about 11 pm last night,

About to decide between burnt ends or just carving up that end as fat slices.
    Holy cow. The holy Grail of smoking.

Holy cow. The holy Grail of smoking.
    Yup. I used to be a strict “bbq is pork butt” guy until I tried my first brisket smoke. Bang.

A fair bit more finicky than a pork butt for sure, but magic when it works.

Yup. I used to be a strict “bbq is pork butt” guy until I tried my first brisket smoke. Bang.

A fair bit more finicky than a pork butt for sure, but magic when it works.
    What style smoker do you use?