Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

DWBB 2022-23 Season

It's time. The last few posts in last year's thread are about the future.

I won't re-post those (unless the mods think it's appropriate to move them). We've gotten our first transfer from the portal, a 6-3 player (Mia Heide) out of Tulane.

With Day-Wilson, Taylor, and Jackson we are solid to great in the backcourt. Plus de Jesus, and Oliver should be recovered by conference season, and others are there to provide depth.

So virtually all of our attention in the portal should be on size (unless you can add a guard like Saniya Rivers with star potential). Heide had slightly better numbers (but not against ACC-level competition) than what we got from our frontcourt last year. Who knows if we're in the running for Angel Reese (Maryland 3rd-team All-American) or Janiah Barker (de-commit from Georgia), but there are a number of bigs who put up 12+ points and 6+ rebounds in the portal. We need to load up and see who can produce.

question: is it time to have per game threads for the women?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I would vote for that.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

No, not until December.

I imagine we'll know a lot about how our team will look in the next 2 weeks. Not only do players have to enter the portal by May 1, but Duke's first summer session starts May 11. Coach Kara will have to want new (and probably all) players to take a class in both summer sessions. With the sport spanning most of both fall and winter terms, I don't know how a player could carry a full load and deal with practice and travel requirements.

Why did our team turn down the NIT invite this year? Some players did say they were looking forward to the opportunity, then we turned it down. No comment from Lawson.
    Seems like they may have missed on an good time:

https://www.swishappeal.com/ncaa/202...ddle-tennessee

The #8 recruit (Southern Cal) got shot at a house party in her hometown (Vegas) Saturday night and had 2 emergency surgeries Sunday. Not a lot of details yet, but not life-threatening.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...t-hospitalized

So glad I'm not a kid today.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Why did our team turn down the NIT invite this year? Some players did say they were looking forward to the opportunity, then we turned it down. No comment from Lawson.
    Seems like they may have missed on an good time:

https://www.swishappeal.com/ncaa/202...ddle-tennessee
    Past is the past...moving on to 22-23!

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    The #8 recruit (Southern Cal) got shot at a house party in her hometown (Vegas) Saturday night and had 2 emergency surgeries Sunday. Not a lot of details yet, but not life-threatening.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...t-hospitalized

So glad I'm not a kid today.
    Wow. Appears (to me) she was targeted by the shooter:

Gayles, 18, was shot 10 times, including eight in the legs and ankles, at the party Saturday night, sources said. She was expected to undergo another surgery Monday.
    https://www.reviewjournal.com/nevada...times-2562954/

Yes please!

and minutes?

GoDuke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quoting from JE in another thread, because the women deserve to stand out in their own thread and we're excited to see what next year brings.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Not the dudes, the women...

Reigan Richardson was a McD All-American in high school. She had a decent first year at UGA but decided to move on and has committed to be a part of The Sisterhood.
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...gan-richardson

Gotta wonder how involved Lange was getting her to join her in Durham.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Welcome Reigan!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The Miami women's team is about to get an influx of followers.
    Haley and Hanna Cavinder are about to expose 4 million fans to Miami women’s basketball.

The Cavinder sisters – identical 5-foot-6 twin guards who combined to average 34.2 points per game in their three seasons at Fresno State and built an enormous social media following during the pandemic – announced Thursday night that they are transferring to Miami for their senior seasons.
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/basketb...003323376.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Lattimore on Campus

More relevant to Duke, I've heard two sources now confirming the Latasha Lattimore is on campus today (sorry, I can't find a link). Lattimore is a 6'4" post player from Canada who entered the portal from Texas this off-season. She was co-recruited with Shayeann Day-Wilson to Syracuse, before both decommitted from Syracuse and went their separate ways, Lattimore to Texas and Day-Wilson to Duke. Lattimore was a 4-star recruit, and the 38th-ranked player in her class, just ahead of Day-Wilson at #41 (according to ESPN's HoopGurlz). We desperately need a post player, so if she's looking for PT, there's a good chance she can earn it as a Blue Devil.

A campus visit is certainly not confirmation of any decision, but that plus her long connection to Day-Wilson make me think Duke has a good chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    More relevant to Duke, I've heard two sources now confirming the Latasha Lattimore is on campus today (sorry, I can't find a link). Lattimore is a 6'4" post player from Canada who entered the portal from Texas this off-season. She was co-recruited with Shayeann Day-Wilson to Syracuse, before both decommitted from Syracuse and went their separate ways, Lattimore to Texas and Day-Wilson to Duke. Lattimore was a 4-star recruit, and the 38th-ranked player in her class, just ahead of Day-Wilson at #41 (according to ESPN's HoopGurlz). We desperately need a post player, so if she's looking for PT, there's a good chance she can earn it as a Blue Devil.

A campus visit is certainly not confirmation of any decision, but that plus her long connection to Day-Wilson make me think Duke has a good chance.
    That would be great if she comes. The idea of them coming in together for their freshmen years was exciting, and it's still exciting knowing that the possibility of both in Duke Blue still exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post

This was the last post in last year's thread, but in light of this news I'll add it here as well:

Guess I'll leave this here. 6'6" Center out of Oregon State. Former McDonald's All-American

https://twitter.com/UpdateDuke/statu...JLr0keQt_WS3tQ

"Duke has landed transfer Kennedy Brown. Former McDonald’s All-American."
    Last edited by -jk; 04-24-2022 at 07:52 PM. Reason: quote

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    Guess I'll leave this here. 6'6" Center out of Oregon State. Former McDonald's All-American

https://twitter.com/UpdateDuke/statu...JLr0keQt_WS3tQ
    Awesome, I believe that makes 14 on the roster. Room for 1 more, I'm sure it will be a frontcourt player. Lattimore? Reese? Someone off the radar?

ESPN evaluation of her in high school included "superb hands". Important in a post.

Wow! Kennedy just fiinished her Sophomore year at Oregon State averaging 8 ppg and 6 rpg, starting 21 of 30 games. She has at least 2 years of eligibility remaining, maybe 3 due to covid. She redshirted 2020-21 with an injury but her freshman year was 2019-20 shortened by covid. https://osubeavers.com/sports/womens...edy-brown/8570