Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Now that we are down to two healthy QBs with Holmberg out indefinitely, is there any news on what the staff is thinking about the QB situation looking forward? Are we still trying to recruit another QB for next year?

Do we have an emergency QB for this year?

There's always the single wing....which would be something of a joke were it not for the Asack game. Not a good QB situation at all...they'd better think long and hard about how much they want Harris to run, given current facts.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    There's always the single wing...which would be something of a joke were it not for the Asack game. Not a good QB situation at all...they'd better think long and hard about how much they want Harris to run, given current facts.
    Is it to late to pickup a Juco or Div 2 QB for this season? Otherwise, I’d hope Harris doesn’t even practice the rest of August.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdevil06 View Post
    Now that we are down to two healthy QBs with Holmberg out indefinitely, is there any news on what the staff is thinking about the QB situation looking forward? Are we still trying to recruit another QB for next year?

Do we have an emergency QB for this year?
    I don't know, but in the scrimmage yesterday redshirt freshman Jarett Garner hauled in a 44-yard touchdown pass from walk-on sophomore quarterback Robert Nelson.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I don't know, but in the scrimmage yesterday redshirt freshman Jarett Garner hauled in a 44-yard touchdown pass from walk-on sophomore quarterback Robert Nelson.
    Good to know. Thanks. BTW, things seem to have gone quiet on the Gregory Spann situation from what I can gather.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Is it to late to pickup a Juco or Div 2 QB for this season? Otherwise, I’d hope Harris doesn’t even practice the rest of August.
    I feel ya. I swear, I'm beginning to wonder if there's a flaw in the system of practice, conditioning, treatment, etc, somewhere. I know it's sacrilege to even say that on DBR but man, the last few years have beaten the hell out of the law of averages...in a bad way...FB and BB the last several years, not to mention WBB and heck, even BB to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I feel ya. I swear, I'm beginning to wonder if there's a flaw in the system of practice, conditioning, treatment, etc, somewhere. I know it's sacrilege to even say that on DBR but man, the last few years have beaten the hell out of the law of averages...in a bad way...FB and BB the last several years, not to mention WBB and heck, even BB to a degree.
    With football, the years like Duke had in 2016, with few injuries, are very rare. And we went 3-9 that year. In 2013, Duke was relatively healthy though they lost Anthony Boone for 4 weeks and the Devils went 10-4. I've always thought that the constant attention to lifting in the summers puts a lot of undue stress on the body. A relative of mine who played FCS ball once confided "I think that I'll be arthritic by 30" with the constant squats, lifts, and so forth. Whatever the cause, it really is a game of attrition. You're only fully healthy in quick short spans. Fortunately, for Duke, there are 2 byes this year (this should be mandated IMO, but that's another story).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    There's always the single wing...which would be something of a joke were it not for the Asack game. Not a good QB situation at all...they'd better think long and hard about how much they want Harris to run, given current facts.
    Poor Asack. Kicked out of Duke, twice, and forever epitomized for that one outing.
    Run, Zack, run!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Nelson is the presumptive third quarterback.

Early in Cut's Duke tenure he was down to one healthy QB and practiced a wildcat formation, with tailback Clifford Harris as the nominal QB.

Never needed to use it, fortunately.

I suspect Duke would use such a system with Bracey as QB before they would go with Nelson. But that's purely speculation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Nelson is the presumptive third quarterback.

Early in Cut's Duke tenure he was down to one healthy QB and practiced a wildcat formation, with tailback Clifford Harris as the nominal QB.

Never needed to use it, fortunately.

I suspect Duke would use such a system with Bracey as QB before they would go with Nelson. But that's purely speculation on my part.
    Sir, there will be none of THAT on DBR, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    With football, the years like Duke had in 2016, with few injuries, are very rare. And we went 3-9 that year. In 2013, Duke was relatively healthy though they lost Anthony Boone for 4 weeks and the Devils went 10-4. I've always thought that the constant attention to lifting in the summers puts a lot of undue stress on the body. A relative of mine who played FCS ball once confided "I think that I'll be arthritic by 30" with the constant squats, lifts, and so forth. Whatever the cause, it really is a game of attrition. You're only fully healthy in quick short spans. Fortunately, for Duke, there are 2 byes this year (this should be mandated IMO, but that's another story).
    I understand all that....but I still think Duke gets hit disproportionately hard consistently...not every year, but often. And so often it's our very best players.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Sir, there will be none of THAT on DBR, thank you.
    If you don't have stats, watch out.

Well this sucks for Duke. Carolina has a commitment from a five star defensive end, then #22 player in the nation. https://247sports.com/player/desmond-evans-46035517/

The Heels are now 4th in the ACC, Duke 13th in 2020 football recruiting. We need to pick it up!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

The 2020 class seems pretty small. Would be good to get a couple transfers on the portal after the season or a few more commits now. Any names we should be looking out for?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    The 2020 class seems pretty small. Would be good to get a couple transfers on the portal after the season or a few more commits now. Any names we should be looking out for?
    Keep in mind Duke only has 10 recruited seniors. Some redshirt juniors likely will not be back. Duke tends to have less attrition than much of the competition and it's rare for Duke to sign someone who does not qualify, which also is not the case with much of the competition.

Thus Duke tends to have small classes.

And thus far, Cutcliffe has shown a disinclination to pursue grad-student transfers. Evan Lisle, OT from Ohio State is the only one so far.

Gary Smith III Retweeted

Shelbyville Football

@ShebvulFootball

Decision time for #58... join us next Sunday at 3 in the SCHS auditorium as Gary Smith III announces his commitment to either Duke or Virginia Tech.

Three star defensive tackle prospect - looking good for Duke.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Bang Bang Duke Gang!!!

Gary Smith III is a Blue Devil.
    Bob Green

If Bud Foster wants a defensive player I'd say that's a pretty good sign. Great news and welcome aboard, Gary!

That's three 3 star defensive tackles in this class - certainly a position of need. He is 6' 2" 310 lbs. Offers from Virginia Tech, Florida State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, WF, Kentucky among others. That may complete this class.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    That's three 3 star defensive tackles in this class - certainly a position of need. He is 6' 2" 310 lbs. Offers from Virginia Tech, Florida State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, WF, Kentucky among others. That may complete this class.
    Something I’ve learned following FB recruiting is that, outside the clear 5*s and NFL prospects, ratings can vary widely. It’s often more indicative of a players’ potential to see the quality of school offering him than an arbitrary star ranking. With that said, I’m psyched about this guy based on his size and that offer list!!!