Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

ACC Network and where to watch Duke games

I live in Portland, OR and watch the Duke games, usually after they are played, using WatchESPN/ESPN3 app on replay. I also have access to Xfinity online so I can stream games that way as well. With the ACCN, would WatchESPN stop streaming / replay those games? I have no cable TV / satellite TV. And without any deal with satellite and cable, I wonder if the bars will also not be able to play them in my area?

It still seems to be a bit fluid...

Julian posted about Disney (ACCN owner via ESPN) streaming on the main page.

I don't think Comcast/Xfinity has signed on to the ACCN yet. I do imagine sports bars will find a way to get games...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

I do imagine sports bars will find a way to get games...

-jk
    Thank goodness for sports bars, for many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by evrim View Post
    I live in Portland, OR and watch the Duke games, usually after they are played, using WatchESPN/ESPN3 app on replay. I also have access to Xfinity online so I can stream games that way as well. With the ACCN, would WatchESPN stop streaming / replay those games? I have no cable TV / satellite TV. And without any deal with satellite and cable, I wonder if the bars will also not be able to play them in my area?
    Yep, I'm bummed about ACCN for the few Duke games that will be on it and not be part of the standard cable package. Will have to be creative to find alternatives to watch live (or pay the bucks to subscribe).

You're confused in Oregon? I live in Raleigh and I'm confused.

It's tempting to assume it will all work out. But the local CBS station hasn't been on U-Verse for months and one would think solving that would be a pretty high priority.

So, a certain level of concern might be in order.

Here's a link to help clarify things.

https://promo.espn.com/espn/accn/faq

Starting at item #21, which is the current list of TV providers, it makes clear that if you don't have a cable TV provider who has signed up, you won't be able to watch ACCN. Item #25 confirms this... "Can I pay to subscribe to ACCN online, Pay-Per-View or via ESPN3 if I can't get it on TV? No. The games will be exclusive to ACCN and ACCNE."

The really confusing part is that for several years now they've seemingly bundled ESPN3 (computer) to the WatchESPN app (Roku, Apple & mobile). I'm not a cord cutter yet, but even paying extra for the WatchESPN app via Roku, there's no channel for ACCN. This would confirm that there's no cord-cutter option except for the newly released agreement with YouTube TV.

The downside with YouTube TV is that you have to purchase the whole bundle. You can't just watch ACCN, which would be ~ $65/mo. To JD's article on the homepage, Amazon & Disney have no love for each other, so I'd highly doubt that ACCN / ESPN would reach an agreement with Amazon. Disney wouldn't allow it. Plus, that's not necessarily Amazon's game plan... or Apple or Netflix's either, for that matter. Apple & Netflix are going after original content. AMZN, Apple & Netflix may offer a few sep. app options, but ESPN has not shown any interest in going that route. With the exception of Disney's new channel coming up in November, ESPN has still aligned themselves to the cable TV model ~ which would explain the agreement with YouTube. YT is simply a new method of delivering cable TV. It's a different model than Amazon, Apple or Netflix altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by g4orce View Post

Starting at item #21, which is the current list of TV providers, it makes clear that if you don't have a cable TV provider who has signed up, you won't be able to watch ACCN. Item #25 confirms this... "Can I pay to subscribe to ACCN online, Pay-Per-View or via ESPN3 if I can't get it on TV? No. The games will be exclusive to ACCN and ACCNE."

The really confusing part is that for several years now they've seemingly bundled ESPN3 (computer) to the WatchESPN app (Roku, Apple & mobile). I'm not a cord cutter yet, but even paying extra for the WatchESPN app via Roku, there's no channel for ACCN. This would confirm that there's no cord-cutter option except for the newly released agreement with YouTube TV.

The downside with YouTube TV is that you have to purchase the whole bundle. You can't just watch ACCN, which would be ~ $65/mo. To JD's article on the homepage, Amazon & Disney have no love for each other, so I'd highly doubt that ACCN / ESPN would reach an agreement with Amazon. Disney wouldn't allow it. Plus, that's not necessarily Amazon's game plan... or Apple or Netflix's either, for that matter. Apple & Netflix are going after original content. AMZN, Apple & Netflix may offer a few sep. app options, but ESPN has not shown any interest in going that route. With the exception of Disney's new channel coming up in November, ESPN has still aligned themselves to the cable TV model ~ which would explain the agreement with YouTube. YT is simply a new method of delivering cable TV. It's a different model than Amazon, Apple or Netflix altogether.
    Uh...now I'm confused. You should not be paying extra for the WatchESPN app.

The odds are that all the major carriers will eventually sign up for the ACCN. The big ones went down to the wire with the SECN and they'll probably go down to the wire with the ACCN but they'll get there. If your carrier doesn't you can always switch carriers. Other than the documentary on the Dawkins recruiting class, there won't be much Duke stuff on the ACCN for several weeks, apart from the NC A&T football game which will be on ACCNX (ACC Network Extra).

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Yeah, this is something that I think needs clarification and may be phrased in a misleading way in some of the recent articles both here and elsewhere. As far as I understand it, ESPN+ does not include the ESPN networks, which includes ACCN (much like SECN). So the new Disney+ bundle that includes ESPN+ would not include ACCN (like one of the recent front page articles suggests), just like getting ESPN+ doesn't get you ESPN or ESPN2. ESPN+ is "extra" content on top of the ESPN networks, and doesn't include the networks themselves.

So if you really are a traditional "cord-cutter" looking to get ACCN, YouTubeTV might be the way you have to go. To be honest, this is one of the reasons I think that even more people haven't cut the cord, i.e. access to live and local sports content. If I was still in the US (things are made much more complicated for me being in Canada now, haha), I would cut the cord in a second if I knew I could get access to all of my sports as part of one of the various packages, but nothing seems to fit the bill yet. (In Canada, I'm essentially forced to stick with crappy Bell Fibe TV to get my college sports, as they offer a "college sports package" a la carte whereas their main competitor, Rodgers, only has it as part of a huge and expensive sports bundle.)

All of this is a long way to say that I think we've all been confusing some key points when it comes to ESPN+, ACCN, and cord-cutting, and we should make sure we're all talking about the same things so as not to confuse anyone further!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Uh...now I'm confused. You should not be paying extra for the WatchESPN app.
    Sorry... I confused myself for a sec. ESPN+ is what I'm paying for on top of the WatchESPN app via Roku. Neither of those, though, have ACCN. :-(

ACCN also has a deal with Hulu, so you can subscribe to a Hulu account if you can't get it any other way. I think it is $12 a month.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

What about Sling?

Last year I was able to get ESPN and ESPN2 and watch Duke games. Is that no longer possible?

I remain confident in Swofford's ability to screw this up, i.e. make the network a net negative for fans (for example forcing them to spend money for stuff that was formerly free).

Having read numerous articles about the various platforms, I remain confused, will just have to wait and see what works and what doesn't. As grandpa used to say, the info thus far is clear as mud.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    ACCN also has a deal with Hulu, so you can subscribe to a Hulu account if you can't get it any other way. I think it is $12 a month.
    Not quite. That is for the ad-supported streaming service but doesn't include live TV. The Hulu package that includes the ACC Network is something like $50 per month. That is a bit cheaper than Youtube TV I think so probably the cheapest option if you feel you have to have the ACCN. Of course, they don't appear to be doing a good job of putting important programming on the Network so it isn't clear to me why anyone would feel they need to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Im4howdy View Post
    Last year I was able to get ESPN and ESPN2 and watch Duke games. Is that no longer possible?
    It still is, but ACC Network isn't included as part of that, so any Duke games on the ACCN won't be available. It wouldn't surprise me if Sling picked it up though, since the other major Internet TV providers (Google, Verizon Fios, Youtube TV, Hulu TV) have already done so.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sling picked it up though, since the other major Internet TV providers (Google, Verizon Fios, Youtube TV, Hulu TV) have already done so.
    I see ACC ESPN Network listed under sling. Is this something different?

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    I see ACC ESPN Network listed under sling. Is this something different?
    So, this is confusing and it is possible I will get it slightly wrong.

In 2016, ESPN launched "ACC Network Extra", which was basically just ESPN3 but branded for the ACC. Sling currently provides access to streaming ACCNE games/content, and this is likely what you are seeing.

The upcoming ACC Network is different, and Sling does not (at least yet) offer the ACC Network. Additionally, while ACC Network Extra will continue to exist, when the ACC Network goes live access to ACC Network Extra content will be restricted to people with access to ACC Network channel through their TV provider. Which means that Sling (and other providers) will no longer offer access to ACC Network Extra unless they add the ACC Network channel to their package before the go live date.
    Last edited by Acymetric; 08-08-2019 at 01:35 PM.

^ I hope the network and ESPN and everyone else ultimately clarifies all the nomenclature, because even when explained it is somewhat befuddling as to who can get it, how they get it, and for how much money...

Maybe I'll just wait for the first Clemson vs. Va. Tech horseshoes contest in September.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ I hope the network and ESPN and everyone else ultimately clarifies all the nomenclature, because even when explained it is somewhat befuddling as to who can get it, how they get it, and for how much money...

Maybe I'll just wait for the first Clemson vs. Va. Tech horseshoes contest in September.
    Here's the simplified version. If you have one of these TV carriers:

DIRECTV
    Google Fiber TV (not just Google Fiber Internet)
    Hulu Live TV (not the cheaper ~$15 bundle that includes ESPN+ but the actual live TV package with channels)
    Optimum
    PlayStation Vue
    TVision
    Suddenlink
    Verizon Fios TV (not just Fios Internet)
    YouTube TV

Then you will have the ACC Network (ACCN) channel. This will also allow you to stream ACC Network Extra (ACCNE) content online, the same way you would for ESPN3 content (ACCNE is basically the ESPN3 equivalent for the ACCN for extra content streamable online). Of course your provider may be added later, at which point you will gain access to both.

If your provider is not on that list, you will not have access to ACCN or ACCNE.

ESPN+ has nothing to do with any of this, and never has, and given the lack of worthwhile content you are probably better off forgetting about ESPN+ entirely.

Not quite. That is for the ad-supported streaming service but doesn't include live TV. The Hulu package that includes the ACC Network is something like $50 per month. That is a bit cheaper than Youtube TV I think so probably the cheapest option if you feel you have to have the ACCN. Of course, they don't appear to be doing a good job of putting important programming on the Network so it isn't clear to me why anyone would feel they need to have it.

It still is, but ACC Network isn't included as part of that, so any Duke games on the ACCN won't be available. It wouldn't surprise me if Sling picked it up though, since the other major Internet TV providers (Google, Verizon Fios, Youtube TV, Hulu TV) have already done so.
    YouTube TV costs us $53.36 after taxes in Greensboro.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    YouTube TV costs us $53.36 after taxes in Greensboro.
    I think Hulu is like $45 without tax. They probably end up being about the same (I don't use either service).