Page 111 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2971
    Trevor Keels was added to the roster of the Iverson Classic, which takes place May 7-8. Paolo Banchero and AJ Griffin are also part of the event this year. Might be the first chance we get to see Paolo, AJ, and Trevor in action as Duke commits.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ack, can't think of a phrase I hate more...maybe Fauci can use it, "the Covid virus really knocked us back..."
    Why do you hate that term? I can't tell whether you are "knocking Fauci back" by bringing him into the discussion.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I wish Duke had Holmgren, but he is really skinny.

I wonder how he will do against a physical team like Baylor. If the refs allow contact, he will get pushed all over the floor by strong, less skilled guys.

Hope he does well except, of course, against Duke.
    He is a shot blocking phenom. He does not have to be the show on that team to win - and he is a matchup nightmare with the talent around him. Few teams can manage Timme and him on the floor at the same time and he can take bigs outside. He is skinny but he is also pretty agile for such a lanky kid.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    He is a shot blocking phenom. He does not have to be the show on that team to win - and he is a matchup nightmare with the talent around him. Few teams can manage Timme and him on the floor at the same time and he can take bigs outside. He is skinny but he is also pretty agile for such a lanky kid.
    Do you think a Soph Mark Williams can keep him in check??

I’d rather have a Soph Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    You mean we were knocked back??
    Yup...that

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue666s View Post

Not sure if Williams has the perimeter quickness to guard him out on the 3 point line, where he likes to play on O.

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Not sure if Williams has the perimeter quickness to guard him out on the 3 point line, where he likes to play on O.
    That’s fine. We can now put Jaylen Blakes on him! 😆

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    You want Chet to remain on the perimeter and take jumpers. That's a win. He's capable of knocking down those shots, but it's not his best skill. What he's really good at is facilitating for others. Chet and Drew Timme are going to be a problem as they both move extremely well and both can pass. Nembhard is a very good passer, too, and can play the PNR with either of Chet or Timme. That offense is going to score. On defense, Chet covers some of the flaws that Timme has. Timme cannot defend in space and he doesn't protect the rim. That's what Chet does. It's a great pairing.

That being said, I think the Paolo/Mark pairing is going to be just fine against Gonzaga or anyone. Paolo offers a lot of what Chet does on offense and he can get anywhere on the court due to his size and athleticism. And on defense, Mark offers a lot of what Chet does in terms of lateral quickness, length, and rim protection.

These two teams, Duke and Gonzaga, are going to put on a show in November.

Looking forward to the matchup.
    Hoping a certain guy named Patrick wants to be there wearing Duke Blue.

Certainly early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    FWIW, Baldwin was an AAU teammate of Jalen Johnson and Brakefield.
    Main reason we likely will not see Baldwin in a Duke uniform. The NBA scouts interviews with Jalen Johnson will be like a court trial. His history of bailing on teams will be his number one issue.

Johnson left IMG Academy suddenly too after barely playing. Not sure it was a Duke think.

And PBS coached with Coach Collins at Northwestern so I doubt PBJ and the family will form their opinion on Duke from JJ.

So the question at this stage is – what is holding up Baldwin‘s decision? I assume that all rosters are now set – at least the few that he is looking at. It is not as if he is considering the G league. I had assumed with Hurt leaving the floodgate would open.

So there must be some reason he is not committing – and I am sceptical that it is that he needs more time to figure it out.

Someone mentioned his father’s job security. Can he cement the security for the upcoming season by retaining the possibility of his son attending UW-M? So that he retains his job and his son can then commit late to where he really wants to go?

It all seems very peculiar.

Pertaining to the Duke/Gonzaga game in Vegas - tix are going very fast and very expensive !
    Holmgren had his way in in-school. 16yr old kids were in awe of him. He's going to have a tougher time going against bigger, stronger college players. Hopefully he lays an egg in Vegas !

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I wish Duke had Holmgren, but he is really skinny.

I wonder how he will do against a physical team like Baylor. If the refs allow contact, he will get pushed all over the floor by strong, less skilled guys.

Hope he does well except, of course, against Duke.

I really hope Holmgren succeeds. It's exciting when someone comes along and changes our conception of how to succeed as a basketball player. Right now he's showing a unique combination of size and skills, it'd be awesome to see him change our assumptions about the game. Like a Zion Williamson or a Trae Young or a Kevin Durant or a Steph Curry and so on...it's exciting when guys break the mold! And they always will have detractors until they prove they can do it.

(And of course, I hope he loses to Duke in November )

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    So the question at this stage is – what is holding up Baldwin‘s decision? I assume that all rosters are now set – at least the few that he is looking at. It is not as if he is considering the G league. I had assumed with Hurt leaving the floodgate would open.

So there must be some reason he is not committing – and I am sceptical that it is that he needs more time to figure it out.

Someone mentioned his father’s job security. Can he cement the security for the upcoming season by retaining the possibility of his son attending UW-M? So that he retains his job and his son can then commit late to where he really wants to go?

It all seems very peculiar.
    I'm assuming he follows his dad because that seems the consensus. If, however, you had a son projected as a high lottery pick who could either play for you at a school that has been below average in a mid-level conference for several years or play for a team that has the best marketing platform in the country and has finished in the top 10 between 80-90% of the time in the last generation, what would you advise your son? I'd advise my son not to play for me and just remember dear old dad when he becomes a multi-millionaire in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I'm assuming he follows his dad because that seems the consensus. If, however, you had a son projected as a high lottery pick who could either play for you at a school that has been below average in a mid-level conference for several years or play for a team that has the best marketing platform in the country and has finished in the top 10 between 80-90% of the time in the last generation, what would you advise your son? I'd advise my son not to play for me and just remember dear old dad when he becomes a multi-millionaire in a year.
    Given his tenuous job security I'm surprised schools haven't offered him an assistant job to get a package deal. Much less qualified people have gotten coaching jobs from schools looking to secure their talent offspring. Normally one would not quit a head coaching job to take an assistant job but if he thought his days were numbered and it was also a top tier program that was a good showcase for PBJ, it could be a win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Given his tenuous job security I'm surprised schools haven't offered him an assistant job to get a package deal. Much less qualified people have gotten coaching jobs from schools looking to secure their talent offspring. Normally one would not quit a head coaching job to take an assistant job but if he thought his days were numbered and it was also a top tier program that was a good showcase for PBJ, it could be a win-win.
    I agree with you. His salary, and terms might indicate what the going rate of stud players is these days.

There is quite a lot of malicious speculation about the motivation behind PBJ's decision. Maybe he just wants to play for his father wherever his father ends up.

This seems to work for the Boeheim's and no one is thinking that the Buddy and Jimmy are both at Syracuse so that their dad can get a better contract.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Certainly early in the season.
    Folks here have losttheir collective minds. Williams is a future serviceable NBA player, Holmgren is a future All-Star