Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Who Stays - Who Goes

I didn’t think I’d make this thread on March 12th but here we are.

I think it’s safe to say Vernon will be leaving for the NBA. There have been numerous discussions each year of a lottery pick staying but they always leave as they should.

Had their been a ACC and NCAA tournament I think Tre would have been a near guaranteed guy to go to the NBA, now I’m thinking it’s 50/50 that he stays or leaves.

Stanley should probably stay bc I don’t think he is ready but he is a better prospect than other guys who lest earlier in recent years like Trent Jr.

Hurt and Moore probably fall into the second round if they leave early and I think they stay

Vernon, Tre and Cassius will leave. Probably.

hurt stays, Moore probably, Cassius unlikely, tre and Carey no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilTommy View Post
    Vernon, Tre and Cassius will leave. Probably.
    Agreed.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    hurt stays, Moore probably, Cassius unlikely, tre and Carey no chance.
    This, but I think Cassius is closer to the no chance category.

No chance the loss of playing in the spectacle of March Madness weighs on these guys? The year at Duke they've got but they got robbed of March Madness. Hopes and dreams? Probably...

Gone:
    Carey, Tre, Cassius

Staying:
    Hurt, Moore

With the caveat that the insane way the season ended could impact some of these guys to maybe stay and try to some extra glory, I would rate it like this:

Carey 100%
    Tre 90%
    Cassius 90%
    Hurt 40%
    Moore 30%
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Really? You guys are crazy, Moore is way more likely to go than Hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I wouldn't disagree with you...he has more potential. That being said, he's obviously not ready.

Moore is a year away from being a Justise-type talent; leave now, and he may face a Duval future. He should return.

I don't think Cassius is ready either. Yeah, I know -- he's old. But so what -- he doesn't attack the basket, and he is lacking basic shooting guard skills -- except running the break and shooting.

Hurt didn't show what he is capable of this year and would benefit from a return, but in a way he is more skilled than Wendell. I hope he returns.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I wouldn't disagree with you...he has more potential. That being said, he's obviously not ready.
    NBA loves reaching for potential. I think Moore is gone.

Cassius coming back would be a dream at this point. He would be All-ACC next year and likely a star if he makes the sophomore jump. Add that to next year's class not really having a true 2 guard (maybe DJ), and he would be in position for a huge year. Honestly, Tre too, and it's a pipe dream, but I hold out a tiny bit of hope that Tre's burning desire to match his brother's legacy with a title would bring him back.

I haven't seen many boards that have Hurt or Moore with even a 2nd round grade, but that hasn't stopped some of our guys in the past.

Tre is not leaving.

Come on guys.

Wendell is IMO a good long-term pro prospect but not ready yet; he needs to shoot and handle better.

He's also young -- doesn't turn 19 until September; according to wiki, he was born 9/18/2001 (a week after 9/11, making many of us feel even older).

No inside info, but I'll guess he returns (and becomes a high level ACC player).

What makes you think there will be sporting events this fall or even next year? The likelihood of finding a cure within 12 months and test it is very small. Everyone is acting like this is short term, but I don't see it being resolved by years end.

Tre - 100%
    Vernon - 90%
    Cassius - 50%
    Matthew - 10%
    Wendell - 10%

With Cassius, I've always felt that his age was an indicator for *staying*, as if the guy is in no rush.

Not that it matters, but...

I've been looking at some mock drafts, and this could be the year that Duke is out of the lottery.

Vernon is a back-to-the-basket center and there are some concerns about his defense, so he is typically listed as a middle to late first rounder.

There doesn't seem to be a consensus about Tre. He is typically a late first rounder, but I have also seen him the second.

Cassius is always listed in the second round, which used to mean that the player would come back, but this is 2020 so who knows.

As simplyluvin says, Hurt and Moore don't make the mock second round, so I hope they return.

Which would Hurt Moore?

What really intrigues me about this whole situation is: how is the pre-draft process impacted? If players can't get the same information that they normally would and Draft day remains unmoved — you'd see a lot of guys making decisions with imperfect information, whether they choose to stay or leave.