Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    I was trying to think of Spoelstra as a semi comparison. He had 7 yrs as an asst and director of scouting before taking the head job. So yes, I agree that would be a heckuva escalation.
    Even more...wiki says he was assistant coach from 97-08. Just more evidence it's not gonna happen.

Spo’s situation is definitely not comparable, but it’s pretty good for a college player who started with the Heat as a video coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That's why I included the word "potential" as well. To suggest it is a PC hire is incredibly disrespectful to her.
    Very thin resume for the job. Her resume doesn't check any of the traditional boxes. Maybe the traditional boxes are wrong or incomplete. Maybe her potential outweighs those traditional qualifications for an NBA job. I don't know.

I will be very disappointed in her if she accepts an offer from the Celtics.I'm old school but there is something to be said for honoring a commitment. Duke made a commitment to her and she made a commitment to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That's why I included the word "potential" as well. To suggest it is a PC hire is incredibly disrespectful to her.
    Perhaps I was being cynical. Any disrespect was meant for those that value politics over merit. I love Duke's choice of Kara Lawson for WBB head coach!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Very thin resume for the job. Her resume doesn't check any of the traditional boxes. Maybe the traditional boxes are wrong or incomplete. Maybe her potential outweighs those traditional qualifications for an NBA job. I don't know.

I will be very disappointed in her if she accepts an offer from the Celtics.I'm old school but there is something to be said for honoring a commitment. Duke made a commitment to her and she made a commitment to Duke.
    Kara did all that work assembling all these talented young women to Duke next season. Major disappointment to them and Duke fans if she leaves for Boston. Steve Pagliuca wants the Celtics to improve,but as a Duke alumnus I hope they choose someone not named Kara Lawson. Like your Art Heyman photo!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Kara did all that work assembling all these talented young women to Duke next season. Major disappointment to them and Duke fans if she leaves for Boston. Steve Pagliuca wants the Celtics to improve,but as a Duke alumnus I hope they choose someone not named Kara Lawson. Like your Art Heyman photo!
    Well, I hope and expect she stays. But a multi-million dollar, multi-year contract is nothing to sneeze at.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Agreed. First woman of color or any woman Head Coach in the NBA and more money than her Duke contract.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Perhaps I was being cynical. Any disrespect was meant for those that value politics over merit. I love Duke's choice of Kara Lawson for WBB head coach!
    I appreciate the clarification. I would hate to think that anyone on the Duke staff would be looked at as a PC hire. Hire the best, hold them to high standards. No pandering involved.

Her resume is thin - pointed out several times. But her potential for long term success seems high.

her potential is great, but I'm not sure she'd be wise to take the Celts job at this point...(nor do I think she'll be offered)..

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    her potential is great, but I'm not sure she'd be wise to take the Celts job at this point...(nor do I think she'll be offered)..
    I don't think Kara would even make the short list. IF Stevens was looking to hire a woman, he would have lots of names, some even with NBA and G-League HC experience, in front of her. Also, if Duke sees anyone with ties move over to the end of the bench, my guess is it will be Harding before Lawson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...le_NBA_coaches
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't think Kara would even make the short list. IF Stevens was looking to hire a woman, he would have lots of names, some even with NBA and G-League HC experience, in front of her. Also, if Duke sees anyone with ties move over to the end of the bench, my guess is it will be Harding before Lawson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...le_NBA_coaches
    The presumption has long been that Becky Hammond will be the woman to break this particular gender barrier. But the Celtics are one the highest-profile teams in pro sports. My best guess is that when the time comes it will be a franchise further down the food chain, someone more in position to take a gamble. Sacramento comes to mind.

Then again, they're such a toxic mess, Hammond might turn them down.

Not worth a new thread, so it goes here. Syracuse coach being investigated, sound familiar? Not surprising given how many of his players have transferred (11 after last season). I'd say he's toast.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...entin-hillsman

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Not worth a new thread, so it goes here. Syracuse coach being investigated, sound familiar? Not surprising given how many of his players have transferred (11 after last season). I'd say he's toast.

Other alleged incidents by Hillsman included unwanted touching, kisses on the forehead and refusing players' requests for water after strenuous drills in practice.
    While the halftime drama is whatever, this is the serious stuff IMO.
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

More fun headline underneath that story.

UConn adds home-and-home series with NC State, extends current series with South Carolina

While of course I wish it was Duke, and hopefully Kara has us headed again towards those matchups (Tennessee please!), congrats to State for the success they've had and earning the rewards that go with it.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New staff addition. I like this. Someone outside of both Kara's and Duke's college connections. (They know each other through 3x3.)

Duke University women's basketball head coach Kara Lawson announced Thursday the addition of Aleah Goodman as the Director of Recruiting and Player Personnel effective immediately. ...

A 2020 graduate of Oregon State, Goodman was a two-time captain with the Beavers and closed her career by being selected No. 30 overall by the Connecticut Sun of the WNBA in the 2021 draft. As a senior, Goodman was a WBCA All-America Honorable Mention, an All-Pac-12 selection and an All-Pac-12 Defensive Honorable Mention. She earned Pac-12 Player of the Week as well as ESPNW National Player of the Week honors on Feb. 22, and led the Beavers with 16.2 points and 4.9 assists per game on the year.

"Aleah is a basketball person," said Lawson. "She loves the game and will be a great teacher. Our relationship goes back a couple of years. I loved coaching her and we would talk during our team meals about strategy and coaching. When the opportunity to bring her aboard as a part of our staff presented itself, it was a no brainer. She will be an asset to our program and I know our staff will be able to help her grow as a young coach. Having a former player now on our staff is very special because I'm passionate about helping them reach their goals."
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/7/1/wom...all-staff.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    New staff addition. I like this. Someone outside of both Kara's and Duke's college connections. (They know each other through 3x3.)

https://goduke.com/news/2021/7/1/wom...all-staff.aspx
    CB&B, any idea who held this position previously? Can't imagine it has been open for the past year.

CB&B, any idea who held this position previously? Can't imagine it has been open for the past year.
    It looks like a new position. Recruiting must have been under one of the assistants previously. https://goduke.com/staff-directory

Edit: Nothing is listed in the directory, but that could mean the position was unfilled. Men's basketball does not have recruiting singled out either. I guess its inconclusive without some inside info.
    Last edited by DoubleBlue; 07-02-2021 at 07:51 PM.

Re front page article on Syracuse and this quote: "Allegations and investigations don’t mean that he is necessarily guilty and coaches can survive such things, as Duke’s Joanne P. McCallie did. However, it was only for the extent of her contract and she resigned when she realized that she wouldn’t be getting an extension."

I'm pretty sure McCallie got an extension after the investigation.

I suppose you can't run an investigation, say nothing is wrong, and then can the person.

I suppose you can't run an investigation, say nothing is wrong, and then can the person.
    You can, but Duke chose not to. I'll wager that the investigation revealed quite a lot that was unsatisfactory, but not enough to fire her outright. But the writing was on the wall after that. McCallie also had medical issues that were significant and that may have factored into the timing.

Re front page article on Syracuse and this quote: "Allegations and investigations don’t mean that he is necessarily guilty and coaches can survive such things, as Duke’s Joanne P. McCallie did. However, it was only for the extent of her contract and she resigned when she realized that she wouldn’t be getting an extension."

I'm pretty sure McCallie got an extension after the investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    You can, but Duke chose not to. I'll wager that the investigation revealed quite a lot that was unsatisfactory, but not enough to fire her outright. But the writing was on the wall after that. McCallie also had medical issues that were significant and that may have factored into the timing.
    Let the past go away and celebrate the future.
    Please.