Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: 2022 MLB Season

My broken heart still pulls for Verlander. Watching him corkscrew batters was very enjoyable.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    My broken heart still pulls for Verlander. Watching him corkscrew batters was very enjoyable.
    Why is your heart broken Weezie?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Why is your heart broken Weezie?
    Tigers fan...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Tigers fan...
    Ah. Makes sense. Thought it might be romantic and they dated.

Why can’t it be both?

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Why can’t it be both?
    I hope it was!

Absolute bomb to take the lead for the Astros.

Congratulations to the Astros. They were great the last 3 games.

I might be in the minority here, but I got very tired of Smoltz telling fans to get over it. Here's my take.

First, the A******* cheated to win their "title" originally. The backbone-less Commissioner did next to nothing about the trash can banging cheating. He could (and should) have voided the title, but didn't. He slapped the cheating manager on the wrist for a year, and did NOTHING to the ringleaders of the cheating scheme. (And the notion that he needed the players' cooperation to learn the truth is total BS). There are still players on this team who should have been banished from MLB for life, and who contributed to yet another phony title. This "championship" isn't much less tainted than the first one.

Really proud of my Phillies - a magical run no one saw coming that really captivated the city.

Winning championships is really hard stuff; so much has to go right for it to happen. Duke to the Final 4 and Phillies to the World Series makes for a special year. At the same time, it's frustrating to see things like the Roach foul call against UNC and the Maladonado HBP bring noise into the process.

The Astros were definitely the more talented team and I think would have won the series anyway but it would be easier to take it if it played out differently. Separately, really amazed by Wheeler tonight and his ability to overcome a dead arm from a few days ago. A real warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I might be in the minority here, but I got very tired of Smoltz telling fans to get over it. Here's my take.

First, the A******* cheated to win their "title" originally. The backbone-less Commissioner did next to nothing about the trash can banging cheating. He could (and should) have voided the title, but didn't. He slapped the cheating manager on the wrist for a year, and did NOTHING to the ringleaders of the cheating scheme. (And the notion that he needed the players' cooperation to learn the truth is total BS). There are still players on this team who should have been banished from MLB for life, and who contributed to yet another phony title. This "championship" isn't much less tainted than the first one.
    I haven't watched the WS at all (nor any of the AL Playoffs with the 'stros or the Red Sox at all since hiring Cora) so have no idea what Smoltz is saying. And I do judge their fans, which I am surrounded by.

I would say the first title has an asterisk and I would say this one does not. I don't feel like players should have been banned for life. And I don't feel like that first championship should have been taken away. But I also understand why people do feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    Really proud of my Phillies - a magical run no one saw coming that really captivated the city.

Winning championships is really hard stuff; so much has to go right for it to happen. Duke to the Final 4 and Phillies to the World Series makes for a special year. At the same time, it's frustrating to see things like the Roach foul call against UNC and the Maladonado HBP bring noise into the process.

The Astros were definitely the more talented team and I think would have won the series anyway but it would be easier to take it if it played out differently. Separately, really amazed by Wheeler tonight and his ability to overcome a dead arm from a few days ago. A real warrior.
    Congratulations to the 2022 National League champions, the Philadelphia Phillies. What a run they went on and they represented their city and fans very well! They were fun to watch and should be good again next season.

I have my own opinions on the Astros but I did want to congratulate Dusty Baker on his first World Series title. I was happy to see him get that in his 70s. He is a baseball legend.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I have my own opinions on the Astros but I did want to congratulate Dusty Baker on his first World Series title. I was happy to see him get that in his 70s. He is a baseball legend.
    We used to throw gum to Dusty when he was playing left field for the Dodgers. What a class act he is.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I would say the first title has an asterisk and I would say this one does not. I don't feel like players should have been banned for life. And I don't feel like that first championship should have been taken away. But I also understand why people do feel that way.
    I’m mostly with you. I can see a good argument for vacating the 2017 title though. Baseball has always had cheating re sign stealing but the Astros went way over the line.

But the 2022 Astros have zero to apologize for - they played fairly and were the best team by a good margin. They deserve the title.

While I was pulling for the Phillies, I am happy to see Dusty get the victory. As a long time Cincinnati resident, I've always admired him.

Also having spent a lot of time living and working in Houston, I'm happy about Mattress Mack. Not that he needed to pick up $75,000,000 on his bet on the Astros, but it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Not sure what he's going to do with the winnings yet, but I'm guessing he'll do something pretty special with the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    While I was pulling for the Phillies, I am happy to see Dusty get the victory. As a long time Cincinnati resident, I've always admired him.

Also having spent a lot of time living and working in Houston, I'm happy about Mattress Mack. Not that he needed to pick up $75,000,000 on his bet on the Astros, but it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Not sure what he's going to do with the winnings yet, but I'm guessing he'll do something pretty special with the money.
    Part of it will go directly to his customers. One of the supposed reasons for him starting his Astros bets was to cover his annual promotion: Anyone who spends 3k or more on furniture gets paid double their money back if the Astros win the WS -- lots of happy customers this year!