Thread: NFL Draft 2022

NFL Draft 2022

I guess we should talk about this? I don't have much insight beyond assuming the Panthers will blow it this year. It does seem like there is more first round uncertainty than usual leading up to the draft (and I've seen it suggested that there could be 0 or 1 QBs taken in round 1, which seems almost unheard of in recent times). Are you excited for your team's prospects? Worried? Totally ambivalent?

Giants fan. Great opportunity with two early picks. They have had mixed success drafting lately so I hope the new regime has done its homework and uses at least one pick to get Daniel some line help.

It is an odd draft with no really high profile QBs. It will be interesting to see if anyone makes a big trade to get a QB or reaches for one. I always enjoy following it and I am looking forward to tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Giants fan. Great opportunity with two early picks. They have had mixed success drafting lately so I hope the new regime has done its homework and uses at least one pick to get Daniel some line help.

It is an odd draft with no really high profile QBs. It will be interesting to see if anyone makes a big trade to get a QB or reaches for one. I always enjoy following it and I am looking forward to tonight.
    Both NY metro teams did well in my eyes. My Jets got stronger at WR, CB and DL (moving up) - all of whom will start. The G-men got an edge and an OL that were both projected at one point to be potential first overall picks.

But as someone once said, the game is played on the field. We'll see.

Washington Commanders

Traded with the Saints, WAS sent their 11th overall pick to the Saints for the 16th overall pick as well as the 98 and 120 overall picks.

Kyle Hamilton, safety from Notre Dame, was on the board at 11 when WAS had their decision. I would have liked to seen them take him. Instead, WAS drafted Jahan Dotson from Penn State. He’s a 5’11”, 183 lb WR. I am eager to see how he does but haven’t really heard much about him. I don’t follow B1G football that much though.

This draft class seems weaker than usual in the first round. Plenty of talent but seemingly limited star power. I saw Malik Willis from Liberty, a QB, went to the draft in Vegas and didn’t get drafted. He was a projected 1st rounder. In fact, just one QB was drafted in the 1st round, Kenny Pickett of Pitt. He joins Dan Marino as the only two Pitt QBs drafted in the first round in program history.

Finally I have a valid reason for pulling against the Washington Generals Commanders.

I'll just be giddy if Mel Kiper gets off my TV screen for a few weeks. Enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'll just be giddy if Mel Kiper gets off my TV screen for a few weeks. Enough already.
    He and Todd McShay have to be among the worst personalities in sports.

The Raiders just selected Brittain Brown in the seventh round.

Mataeo Durant not drafted.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Not a surprise. Not expected to be.

If anyone wonders how you go 0-8 in the ACC, this is how. You have to have NFL talent to beat NFL talent. You can recruit it, you can develop it, you can do both. But you've got to have the horses.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Signed with the Steelers though. I'd be very happy if that works out for him, for more reasons than one. (Now that Burgerboy is no longer on the team, I feel better about cheering on the team that I grew up being a fan of.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Josh Blackwell signed with the Eagles as a UFA.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Finally I have a valid reason for pulling against the Washington Generals Commanders.
    So did Howell make the right choice? It was a really weird draft for QBs. They took forever to get off the board! (And I'm happy that it was Pickett first, see my post above about the Steelers.)
    Obviously a first rounder is making bank. Lots of it. A second rounder, too. But then it seems like one steps off a cliff, and the money nor your job is guaranteed.
    To my eyes, in hindsight, I could see Howell making more in Chapel Hill next year, and in the long run in the NFL, if he had stayed.
    Not that I'm complaining, though. Maybe he has a few years ahead of him as a backup, but he sure won't be starting in DC any time soon.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Some Blue Devil transfers made moves as well: Brittain Brown (drafted, 7th round) to the Raiders and Derrick Tangelo (UDFA) to the Falcons.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    So did Howell make the right choice? It was a really weird draft for QBs. They took forever to get off the board! (And I'm happy that it was Pickett first, see my post above about the Steelers.)
    Obviously a first rounder is making bank. Lots of it. A second rounder, too. But then it seems like one steps off a cliff, and the money nor your job is guaranteed.
    To my eyes, in hindsight, I could see Howell making more in Chapel Hill next year, and in the long run in the NFL, if he had stayed.
    Not that I'm complaining, though. Maybe he has a few years ahead of him as a backup, but he sure won't be starting in DC any time soon.
    This was an unbelievably weak QB draft. Next year's should be considerably stronger, I've seen that suggested as something that may have motivated Howell to declare this year.

Like Trubisky before him I've never considered him a legitimate NFL prospect. Can I be objective? No, but I think I'm right anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This was an unbelievably weak QB draft. Next year's should be considerably stronger, I've seen that suggested as something that may have motivated Howell to declare this year.

Like Trubisky before him I've never considered him a legitimate NFL prospect. Can I be objective? No, but I think I'm right anyway.
    I think ultimately, NFL teams needing a QB looked at this season and last session and said, "Howell's teammates made him better, he didn't make them better". When it came down to winning without those studs on offense, Howell couldn't get it done.

That's why he was drafted in the 5th round.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I’m not sure what the Eagles situation is at punt returner but if they need one that could be Blackwell’s path to a roster spot.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Signed with the Steelers though. I'd be very happy if that works out for him, for more reasons than one. (Now that Burgerboy is no longer on the team, I feel better about cheering on the team that I grew up being a fan of.)
    Apparently it is the largest UDFA contract for an RB in Steelers history ($15,000 signing bonus).

I’m not sure what the Eagles situation is at punt returner but if they need one that could be Blackwell’s path to a roster spot.
    Special teams frequently is the best way for a UFA to make an NFL roster.

I wonder if Durant can return kicks. Heck, I wonder if he can tackle.

The Cleveland Browns have signed Marcus Santos-Silva.

Santos-Silva (6-6, 261) enters his rookie season in 2022, following a two-year basketball career at Texas Tech (2020-22). Santos-Silva completed his career with 1,244 points, 957 rebounds and 61 blocked shots. He earned All-Big 12 honorable mention in 2022, accruing 175 points, 29 blocked shots and 151 rebounds. The Taunton, Mass. native originally transferred to Texas Tech after three years (2017-20) at VCU.