Thread: Duke in Tokyo

Duke in Tokyo

Any of you live in Tokyo and/or know of a bar where a traveling Duke fan could catch the Duke-Carolina game next week in Tokyo? I will be there on work travel for a few days, including for the game on January 10 (Japan time).

Sorry for the interruption, and mods feel free to move, but I think all threads about Duke bars are outdated at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Monmouth77 View Post
    Any of you live in Tokyo and/or know of a bar where a traveling Duke fan could catch the Duke-Carolina game next week in Tokyo? I will be there on work travel for a few days, including for the game on January 10 (Japan time).

Sorry for the interruption, and mods feel free to move, but I think all threads about Duke bars are outdated at this point.
    Wait, Japan is a month behind us? That's some crazy daylight savings voodoo going on right there.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I lived in Japan for over 17 years so I can tell you it is almost impossible to find a place to watch the game (my information is almost seven years old as I moved back to the States in May 2010).

If you or someone you are travelling with are associated with the U.S. Military or retired military, you can go to the New Sanno Hotel and watch the game. It takes a Department of Defense ID card to gain entry. The hotel is a seven minute walk from the Hiroo subway station on the Hibiya Line.

http://www.thenewsanno.com/

That's the best info I can provide.
    Bob Green

I think it's basically impossible to find it in Tokyo it seems. I'd suggest bringing a device and streaming it.

You could try to call this place which caters to a foreign crowd and shows international sports (including the Super Bowl as well as European football matches):
    http://www.tokyo-sportscafe.com/en-index.html

Edit: Fox Sports Asia shows some college basketball, but don't see Duke-UNC listed...Washington v Colorado is live though!
    http://tv.foxsportsasia.com/
    Last edited by Bluedog; 02-01-2017 at 05:12 PM.

You could get a vpn back to the States and stream "locally" or find a friend with a slingbox who'll share. Either may have choppy results - don't expect a full screen HD picture. Think ACC broadcasts in the 90s. Or the Wake game last weekend...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    You could get a vpn back to the States and stream "locally" or find a friend with a slingbox who'll share. Either may have choppy results - don't expect a full screen HD picture. Think ACC broadcasts in the 90s. Or the Wake game last weekend...

-jk
    I lived in China for 2 years from 2012-14, and didn't even need a VPN to stream all of Duke's games on espn3.com in HD quality (most of the time)

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I lived in China for 2 years from 2012-14, and didn't even need a VPN to stream all of Duke's games on espn3.com in HD quality (most of the time)
    Fabulous. But if you do need to use a vpn or slingbox (media rights...), it can get choppy.

-jk

Thanks for all these responses. I will certainly try to stream the game if all else fails-- just thought that there might by an expat bar that broadcasts ESPN feeds. I remember watching Duke-UNC live in Edinburgh in 1998 on a BBC program called "Live and Dangerous." But that was 20 years ago in the UK.

And yes, I will be there on February 10

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Dumb as a box of rocks here on the "slings" and arrows of outrageous VPN's, but I was in Mexico City last weekend, and I got an acceptable-to-good picture of Duke-WF on the hotel free wi-fi. You may need to have a USA cable account or DirecTV.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Monmouth77 View Post
    Thanks for all these responses. I will certainly try to stream the game if all else fails-- just thought that there might by an expat bar that broadcasts ESPN feeds. I remember watching Duke-UNC live in Edinburgh in 1998 on a BBC program called "Live and Dangerous." But that was 20 years ago in the UK.

And yes, I will be there on February 10
    You lucked out that it will be the one that is broadcast free online so the stream should be available with no restrictions. I will find the link after Saturday's game and put it in a TV info thread for the game.

Slingbox is the way to go...whatever you have at home on all your devices for no extra charge (other than to buy the box)
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

This won't be helpful at all. The thread got me thinking that the ideal way to watch a Duke game in Tokyo would be with Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannsen.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    This won't be helpful at all. The thread got me thinking that the ideal way to watch a Duke game in Tokyo would be with Bill Murray and Scarlett Johannsen.
    If that is the scenario, then I could do without Bill. Or Duke Basketball for that matter.

Will all of you be laughing behind the back of Giovanni Ribisi?

Not if we're playing vs any Chicago area schools!