Page 7 of 149 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Some highlights from AJ Griffin's first game. Also in there is RJ Davis (UNC).

Griffin is going to be special by the time he gets to Duke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiza_YebIUk
    Griffin looks big and beefy already. And boy does the touch on that shot look feathery.

- Chillin

New Offer Alert: Charles Bediako

Duke has extended an offer to 2021 C Charles Bediako. 6'11" from Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Bediako is a reclass candidate to the Class of 2020. He seems like a bright young man with lots of high-major interest. From a tools perspective, Bediako has great size and length for the position and a developing skillset. He's received offers from a lot of high majors, including USC, Xavier, Michigan State, and now Duke.

This could be a sign that Duke has landed on its next center target. On the other hand, it's possible that Mark Williams might not be in college all that long. Either way, Bediako has gotten interest from Duke since the summer and now has an offer to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Griffin looks big and beefy already. And boy does the touch on that shot look feathery.

- Chillin
    I like that most of those dunks were with his left (in the 1 min highlights), even though he clearly shoots with his right. I am going to take that as an indication that he has the potential to finish with either.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    I like that most of those dunks were with his left (in the 1 min highlights), even though he clearly shoots with his right. I am going to take that as an indication that he has the potential to finish with either.
    Ah, great! He's amphibious!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Ah, great! He's amphibious!
    You mean he speaks French and English? Dem dam Canadiens! Can't trust any of them! *

*Except to be polite and friendly and gracious. Furiners!

Bediako turns 18 in March so he wouldn't be a "young" reclass. He'd basically be the same age as most other freshmen in the 20/21 college season. Makes me think it's a formality that he will reclass.

New Offer Alert: Kennedy Chandler

According to his twitter account, top 2021 PG Kennedy Chandler has received an offer from Coach K and Duke. Chandler is widely considered among the top PGs in his class and has received offers from practically every high major. He is a resident of Memphis, TN and plays for Birarcrest Christian Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    Bediako turns 18 in March so he wouldn't be a "young" reclass. He'd basically be the same age as most other freshmen in the 20/21 college season. Makes me think it's a formality that he will reclass.
    Update on this from Clint Jackson:

2021 C Charles Bediako tells us that he has talked it over with his family and will NOT be reclassifying. The junior big man is a priority target for a lot of programs.
    Given the timing of this, I am sure that Duke knew that when they extended the offer. Perhaps they see Bediako as an option to replace Mark Williams if he ends up as a one-and-done. Evan Daniels saw Williams in action over the weekend against Jeremy Roach's high school team and had glowing things to say about Williams, that he had made a big leap since the summer. At any rate, this is an interesting wrinkle and one to keep an eye on.

According to his twitter account, top 2021 PG Kennedy Chandler has received an offer from Coach K and Duke. Chandler is widely considered among the top PGs in his class and has received offers from practically every high major. He is a resident of Memphis, TN and plays for Birarcrest Christian Academy.
    Sounds like Roach's recovery from the ACL has K and the staff convinced he will be OAD thus the need for a new PG in 2021-22.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Yes, let's kick the hornet's nest in Penny's backyard.

Update on this from Clint Jackson:

Given the timing of this, I am sure that Duke knew that when they extended the offer. Perhaps they see Bediako as an option to replace Mark Williams if he ends up as a one-and-done. Evan Daniels saw Williams in action over the weekend against Jeremy Roach's high school team and had glowing things to say about Williams, that he had made a big leap since the summer. At any rate, this is an interesting wrinkle and one to keep an eye on.
    I’ve noticed that a decision not to re-class can be a short term decision. Didn’t Cole Anthony also decide not to reclass?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I’ve noticed that a decision not to re-class can be a short term decision. Didn’t Cole Anthony also decide not to reclass?
    Well, he’s still technically in a high school. 😇

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Well, he’s still technically in a high school. 😇
    Uh no. He's in grade school over at Cheatville.

GoDuke!

New Offer Alert: Trevor Keels

The internet is abuzz with the latest Duke offer. This one goes out to Trevor Keels, a 6'5" guard from Paul VI Catholic High School of Fairfax, Virginia. That same team features Duke's future point guard, Jeremy Roach. Keels is known for his shooting and ability to attack the rim on closeouts. He is not the greatest athlete in the world but can really poor it in from deep. He impressed at Hoop Hall over the weekend in front of Coach K and the coaching staff.

Keels is now the 8th player in the Class of 2021 to receive an offer and third in the last week. He joins Patrick Baldwin, Paolo Banchero, Charles Bediako, Kennedy Chandler, Max Christie, Jonathan Kuminga, and Duke commit AJ Griffin.

According to his twitter account, top 2021 PG Kennedy Chandler has received an offer from Coach K and Duke.
    Apparently Chandler is best friends with Paolo Banchero. Perhaps Duke is hoping for a package deal here? When can they start the group text going?

This class could shape up very differently than 2020 with all the 5-star offers that are out. The depth of our 2020 class paired with the star power of a potential 2021 class, along with some upperclassmen like Joey Buckets and maybe 1-2 of this year’s freshman class could make for a tremendous team. Getting way ahead of reality but fun to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    This class could shape up very differently than 2020 with all the 5-star offers that are out. The depth of our 2020 class paired with the star power of a potential 2021 class, along with some upperclassmen like Joey Buckets and maybe 1-2 of this year’s freshman class could make for a tremendous team. Getting way ahead of reality but fun to think about...
    The potential of the Class of 2021 is exciting. The Classes of 2019 and 2020 have a number of guys in the 15-30 range, which is borderline one-and-done territory. I expect that at least half of each class will still be around for a sophomore year. But the two classes before them, 2017 and 2018, are really thin after the one-and-dones have left. It's amazing to think about it, but these are the guys that have gone pro from those two years:

Marvin Bagley III, RJ Barrett, Wendell Carter, Jr., Trevon Duval, Cam Reddish, Gary Trent, Jr., Zion Williamson. Tell me that team wouldn't compete in the Eastern Conference right now if you throw in a couple of bench pieces and Tre Jones.

Next year, the upperclassmen will consist of Jordan Goldwire, Alex O'Connell, and Joey Baker. We know that Vernon Carey, Jr. is going to go pro after this season. I expect at least one of Matthew Hurt, Wendell Moore, and Cassius Stanley will go pro after this season and all 3 will almost certainly be gone by the 2021-22 season starts. That leaves a ton of PT to the Classes of '20 and '21.

For the 2021-22 season, I see it playing out something like this.

PG: Jeremy Roach or Kennedy Chandler, another PG recruit (or DJ Steward if he stays for a sophomore year)
    SG: Max Christie, DJ Steward (maybe), Trevor Keels
    SF: AJ Griffin, Joey Baker
    PF: Patrick Baldwin, Jr., Jaemyn Brakefield (maybe), Henry Coleman II
    C: Mark Williams or Paolo Banchero, Charles Bediako

It is a fool's errand to project this lineup this far ahead since only Griffin is committed for the Class of 2021 and there are so many unknowns. But I wanted to think through it and put it in writing here. Thanks for reading if you have gotten this far!

Marvin Bagley III, RJ Barrett, Wendell Carter, Jr., Trevon Duval, Cam Reddish, Gary Trent, Jr., Zion Williamson. Tell me that team wouldn't compete in the Eastern Conference right now if you throw in a couple of bench pieces and Tre Jones.
    All right, I’ll tell you. Not even close. Without Zion, that roster is the worst team in the NBA. By a lot. It remains to be seen how many games Zion is worth to an NBA roster, but I seriously doubt adding him to the league’s worst team would instantly turn that team into a contender.

Now, add Tatum and Ingram and Winslow and Tyus Jones, with Frank Jackson, Kennard, Allen, and Okafor as bench pieces, and maybe you’re on to something.
    Last edited by Kedsy; 12-13-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    All right, I’ll tell you. Not even close. Without Zion, that roster is the worst team in the NBA. By a lot. It remains to be seen how many games Zion is worth to an NBA roster, but I seriously doubt adding him to the league’s worst team would instantly turn that team into a contender.

Now, add Tatum and Ingram and Winslow and Tyus Jones, with Frank Jackson, Kennard, Allen, and Okafor as bench pieces, and maybe you’re on to something.
    How do you think the Duke rookie and sophomore teams would do against Atlanta?

PG: Trae Young
    SG: Kevin Heurter
    SF: De'Andre Hunter
    PF: John Collins
    C: Damion Jones

PG: Tre Jones
    SG: Cam Reddish
    SF: RJ Barrett
    PF: Zion Williamson
    C: Wendell Carter, Jr.

I don't know, I think the Duke team would win its fair share of games there. Wendell Carter, Jr. is clearly the superior player at C. I would take RJ over Hunter at SF. The Zion vs. Collins matchup would be interesting but I think Zion takes that fairly easily. It's a wash between Reddish and Huerter. Young is clearly the superior scorer but Tre the superior defender. It's not that far apart.